NAD... Satch JVM

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

donnyboiler
Private Parties

NAD... Satch JVM

Post by donnyboiler » Mon May 08, 2017 6:24 am

So, new amp day. I haven't played a Marshall for a while so it's a good chance to re-orientate myself. I wanted to see how the HJS would feel next to my Boogie JP-2C.

OK, so my biggest worry was that it would feel indistinct, soft and flabby next to the JP... you know, that BAD Marshall sound - all high mid attack but no juice and no transformer thonk. Definitely needn't have worried about that, it sounds like a great Marshall should and it has as much grind as the JP. They can be made to occupy the same frequencies very easily and the Satch feels every bit as special and perfectly sorted as the JP. Just Marshall rather than Mesa.

That is EXACTLY what I was after.

My other concern was that I'd hear the Marshall again (I played them for years) and suddenly the Boogie would sound small, fizzy or unnatural. Again, no such concerns. Yes, the bottom is tighter - but just as big - and obv the distortion grain is razor smooth rather than that lovely corduroy Marshall grit. The funny thing is though, they both sound incredibly organic, the Boogie cleans up just as well as the Marshall (although retains less warmth and bounce when rolled off) and the overall feeling is just like having the most sorted Marshall and the most sorted Boogie imaginable in one room.

The HJS is so raunchy! My Suhrs drive it beautifully for all that grit and swirl you expect, and the low end is so 3D, even with Resonance at 0 (you need it around halfway to match my stock Boogie settings though). Most impressive is the way the low end straddles loose and tight, and the feel straddles warm and punchy - just as a true Marshall should. I could literally stand and play power chords all day, it's disgusting.

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Re: NAD... Satch JVM

Post by RockmanCentral » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm

"I could literally stand and play power chords all day, it's disgusting."

I know what you mean..... when you have an amp that just sounds so magnificent when playing those power chords... it's really hard to stop!!
It doesn't even matter if the progression makes sense.... just the hear that roar!!!

Welcome back!!
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, EMG-81, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

billy7
Garage Band

Post by billy7 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 pm

"I could literally stand and play power chords all day, it's disgusting."

That's exactly what I do with my HJS every day I get the opportunity. Same goes for the clean channel.

I didn't realize that disgusting can be so satisfying. Thank you, Marshall.
JVM410HJS's; no mods...yet; JTM45s from kits, 2466s, 2266c, Haze heads & a combo, JMD 100 & other Marshalls.
Kemper, AxFX II, Boss GT-100; bought & sold because all I did was tweak tweak tweak w little real guitar playing.
Mesas, Dr.Zs, Blackstars, Yamaha THD100H, Fenders, Bugera Infiniums & Peaveys.
Gibsons, Ibanezs, ESPs, ESP-LTDs, Harley Benton, Corts & other equipment too shy to be mentioned.

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Sat May 13, 2017 11:24 am

I could have sworn you had an HJS before...am I remembering that wrong?

Nevermind, I just saw your other thread. The way you wrote this one up made it sound like you never tried one before.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun May 14, 2017 12:25 pm

[smiley-shreds] Donnyboiler the amp makers ideal customer ! you do get around a bit mate !

Perhaps you'll grace us with another of your fabulous videos ?

welcome back fro me too
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Post by donnyboiler » Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 pm

atarilovesyou
Private Parties

Post by atarilovesyou » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 am

Heya Donnie! Glad to have you back on Team Marshall :) That said, I really like your reviews for the products on your webpage. Thanks to you I now crave a Suhr like nobody's business. I'm still rocking my HJS, still trying to work out a solution for some cabinets (read: cheap fixer uppers). I'm still of the mind that this amp prefers lower output pickups to get the best sounds, but I'm also using the clean channel with a ton of different boosts, distortions, so that I can still use all my high output pups to effective success.

Welcome back! What are you up to playing-wise these days?

nyne
Garage Band

Post by nyne » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:04 pm

Great tone in that video!! Which channel were u on ?
Do u feel the HJS requires any mods ?
Interested in a HJS these days.....

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Post by donnyboiler » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:49 am

atarilovesyou wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:39 am
Heya Donnie! Glad to have you back on Team Marshall :) That said, I really like your reviews for the products on your webpage. Thanks to you I now crave a Suhr like nobody's business. I'm still rocking my HJS, still trying to work out a solution for some cabinets (read: cheap fixer uppers). I'm still of the mind that this amp prefers lower output pickups to get the best sounds, but I'm also using the clean channel with a ton of different boosts, distortions, so that I can still use all my high output pups to effective success.

Welcome back! What are you up to playing-wise these days?
Thanks, I only review stuff I love so that makes it easy! I think I agree about the low output pickups, although it loves my Suhr SSH+ which is fairly high. I think maybe it responds to nice open chimy pickups with plenty of bite - a feature the SSH+ shares with PAFs and the like. I guess it would also be fun with stuff like a Super Distortion or EMGs, anything that will tighten up the front end I guess.

Playing-wise I'm doing 3-4 nights a week in London and with the function band I manage - www.eotc.co.uk. I'm also doing a few sessions, articles and a bit of teaching on the side. I've got an exciting originals project in the wings too, can't wait to get that out there!
nyne wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:04 pm
Great tone in that video!! Which channel were u on ?
Do u feel the HJS requires any mods ?
Interested in a HJS these days.....
Thanks, that was OD red with no mid shift and all the dials at noon. The only "mod" I think the amp needs is a nice bright, open pickup and an aggressive right hand. It can feel a bit slow/flabby and may need a boost otherwise. I like my Marshalls that way - I have Boogies for fast and tight.