Anyone using a JVM for Southern Rock & Bluesy Tones?

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Beginner
Beginner

Anyone using a JVM for Southern Rock & Bluesy Tones?

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Hello, I'm new to the JVM club and bought mine for lower gain / classic but awesome tones. I play mostly Allman / southern rock style and found the JVM 50 watt 1X12 combo [215c] to be an excellent amp for bluesy, southern rock tones. I'm new to high gain amps. There is something special about this amp that is hard describe. High gain modes with the gain set low is just magical ! All my guitars sound different in a better way. As if I installed new pick ups or caps. I'd like to hear from you and discuss / learn how you use yours? I'm just breaking in my new amp, so lots of tweaking ahead. But it's a keeper !
Attachments
My JVM.jpg

erpece
Club Circuit

Re: Anyone using a JVM for Southern Rock & Bluesy Tones?

Post by erpece » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:44 am

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

Always rely on your ears! A JVM may not be the go-to amp for southern rock in most people's minds, but I think they are wrong too...

Congrats!
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: TC Electronic G-System, Friedman BE-OD, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, Keeley SD1, Morley Bad Horsie, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:14 am

Raystamps your playing is great, thanks. I have always preferred 1 X 12 combo's...it's an addiction. I like the boxy projection type thing.
I have many but between this JVM, my Clark Beaufort [Fender tweed deluxe clone] & Deluxe Reverb my amp wish list is complete. Gotta say it's still taking me time to find my way with this amp. And I haven't even messed with the footswitch yet!
Found the best lower gain plexi tone yet.
OD Orange / Gain 1 / Treb 4 / Mid 10 / Bass 3 / Res. 4 / Pres. 5. Les Paul Bridge P.U. volume about 6 / tone 2...wow.
*Marshall knob numbers not clock time.

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Well look at the end of my signature.... Did over 20 gigs this year with the JVM.
I run the 205 into two 1x12 cabs, a bigger one back line and a small one up front next to my pedal board pointed up at me. Clean/crunch on 2 (all settings are knob 1-10), OD on 1. Dickie's studio version Jessica on Clean green with just a touch of gain and EQ in front and in the power amp loop . My test is if I do a unison bend (Edit, I meant what some call "double stop" bend) and as I bend the one note, the notes slightly modulate with each other, you have the right amount of saturation for almost clean Plexi. That would include studio Dickie and early Angus too. Live Dickie I use Clean orange, and for most Duane I use Clean red. For Gov't Mule I use OD green and orange.
The hard tones are Duane's dimed 50 watt bass Plexi for slide, and Warren's Soldano.
Gotta go, I'll give more later if you want....
Last edited by namklak on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks namklak some useful info there. Dickey is squeaky clean most of the time but I have heard old bootlegs where his amp is distorted. One way out [Fillmore East closing] is a good example of his higher gain playing. Yes give us more input on your experience with the JVM.

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 am

First, let me clarify what I meant by modulation in a double stop bend. The term double stop is actually overloaded to mean multiple things - I mean what this guy is doing right here: https://youtu.be/KO26kOX9ZXo?t=7m11s. Do the bend slow with some saturation and you'll here a third, descending pitch note. In electronic geek speech, the more saturation an amp has, the more "non-linear" an amp is. This non-linearity causes modulation, or what some call inter-modulation, meaning two tones interacting. This modulation causes a third "beat" frequency tone. Back to guitar, if you do the above double stop slowly - while the ring finger pitch is rising, you'll hear a third "ghost" note falling. The more saturation, the more prominent this note is.

Back to Dickie, his squeaky clean studio tone was just into breakup (again, also like early Angus). What you want is to do the slow double stop riff above with maybe your Clean/Crunch Green Gain on 5, and you'll hear that ghost note. Then back off the Gain until you barely hear that ghost note. That is the Dickie studio tone. Then add a little overdrive (OD) or Tube Screamer (TS) for the solo.

Note like Hot 'Lanta, I'm using a 205, so that's why I say Clean/Crunch.

As Hot 'Lanta noted, Dickie's live tone is much more saturated. I believe he was using an (OD) or (TS) into a plexi. You can get that tone with Clean/Crunch Orange, and maybe add a little OD or TS if desired.

In southern rock, there is almost always two lead guitarists and keys and two drummers and maybe an acoustic guitar. To cut thru a band like that, you don't necessarily want a great bedroom "brown" blues tone, it won't cut thru in the live two guitar attack. I have my Mid control set to 10 and Presence on 6 - you may not think it's great in the bedroom, but definitely check how it cuts thru in the live band recording during solos. My co-guitarist uses an MB Mark V that is brighter than my settings. You do have to tailor those tones control settings based on your cab/speaker. But if you find you have to really crank your solos to be heard, you really need to crank you mids. I also use EQ mid boost on solos to do that.

Another thing I like to do to get that dimed plexi sound for my solos is to add gain in the jvm Effects or Power Amp loop. This causes the power amp section to saturate a little, which is what I think happens when you dime a plexi into ear splitting volumes. Also to get this, if you have your channel Gains of 2 for Clean/Crunch and 1 for OD, set the channel Volume(s) to 10. This will help you hit the power amp stage with the signal it needs. Even if you have the Master(s) set low, this still causes V5 to saturate a little - which is for many technical reasons is a different saturation than the preamp tubes saturating.

So, yes you can easily use the jvm for classic southern rock sounds. In fact, it's the best modern amp I've found so far to do this. And it is easier to tame than the beast known as plexi.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks man that is a lot of useful information.