Setting Volumes on a 215c (and any 2xx model)

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Rick_Sanchez
Beginner
Beginner

Setting Volumes on a 215c (and any 2xx model)

Post by Rick_Sanchez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:13 am

Hey all,

Have done some searching through old posts to try and get an answer on this and have tried a few different things suggested however I cannot seem to get the volumes right on my 215c.

Guitar - PRS CE24, so modern humbuckers.

This is what I'm trying to get.

Clean Crunch Channel:
Green: I want a clean sound that's not breaking up for clean parts and strumming.
Orange: Hairier / pushed cleans rhythm sound
Red: Rhythm dirty sound / lead tone (with boost pedal or master volume)

----

I'm finding that it's really tough to get the volumes worked out for this, so having the gain at about 10 o'clock seems to be where I can get a clean tone that doesn't break up on clean Green and has enough gain through Orange and Red however it feels like i almost have to dime the channel volume to get any volume parity otherwise it feels like a noticeable volume drop between clean (loud) and orange/red (softer). Am trying not to assign the Master 2 to them as want to use it for a solo boost.

I've toyed with Clean Green and then using the OD channel at low gain on Green and Orange but it gets too gainy pretty fast - however I can get the volume sorted out exactly as i need really easily.

The only thing I've been trying to avoid is using the volume knob - I've been playing for 21 years and never been a player that does that, i feel with an amp with this many channels I should be able to dial it in :-)

Any ideas?
PRS CE24 - Tobacco Burst / PRS SE277 Baritone / PRS SE Mark Holcomb
MIJ '#0001' Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul / Epiphone Classic T

JVM215c and VS265

DalyCro
Garage Band

Re: Setting Volumes on a 215c (and any 2xx model)

Post by DalyCro » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:46 am

Have no problem balancing those 3 but I use master 2 for that (and i bet most of us do that if want balance). I think Santiago also said that 2 MV are there so you can easier balance channels if you have need for that. All 3 modes on both of my channels are set so I have balance between them and the only thing I move around are tone pots. And when I want to boost I have CM Dual boost, 1st part is in preamp and 2nd part is in the loop, so I can drive preamp harder or boost solos after it. And to be honest I dont know how you can get "grainy" green mode since this amp has pure clean, maybe the cleanest I played so far. And I even had, for a short time, PRS Custom 24 (awesome guitar). Just for the record, I am also a player who don't use volume on guitars a lot. Lately I started and whole new world opens to me, especially when I switch to higher gain channel.
I should warn you, I use ECC 823 (reversed 832) in V1 postion, wich reducing gain on my orange and red channels.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.

Rick_Sanchez
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Setting Volumes on a 215c (and any 2xx model)

Post by Rick_Sanchez » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 pm

Many thanks for the detailed response. I've taken on what you've said and spent a heap of time this arvo balancing the channels using the MV1 and 2. It's setup perfect now. I'm using a boost pedal for the solo boost now and have got it working well.
PRS CE24 - Tobacco Burst / PRS SE277 Baritone / PRS SE Mark Holcomb
MIJ '#0001' Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul / Epiphone Classic T

JVM215c and VS265