Satriani Signature JVM discontinued

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Sirion
Beginner
Beginner

Satriani Signature JVM discontinued

Post by Sirion » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:00 am

It looks like it is official, now: the JS model has been pulled from Marshall's websites. This is a pity. I've never been able to try one, but I've had it on my "to check out" list, since it basically is the only JVM with a switchable fx loop that is not broken…

DalyCro
Pub Band

Re: Satriani Signature JVM discontinued

Post by DalyCro » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:47 am

And I was wondering why Thomman didnt have any on stock for quite some time now. You gave me the answer. At some point JS was cheaper than normal JVM, at least on Thomman. Seems that sales didn't go so well.
For me, every manager in amp/guitar/pedal industry who thinks that he can make significant money on "signature" stuff is stupid specially with prices they put on those signature models.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:21 pm

The JS didn't really offer anything objectively better than the standard JVM.

I think the Crunch channel on the JS was quite good and I feel Marshall should have based a single channel 80s rock amp just off the JS Crunch channel. Really, that's all anyone wanted from the JS - old school high gain lead tones, right? The rest of the amp is redundant. The gates are probably useful for people that use single coils or noisy effects. But you can use a simple stompbox gate with the standard JVM too. The JS just doesn't have enough going for it over the regular JVM.
My gear list? Do a search.

Sirion
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Sirion » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:29 pm

Surely the FX loop was as objectively better as you can talk of with a guitar amp, which, by its nature, is a superlatively subjective beast? The parallel loop on the original does not allow for 100% wet, meaning that any digital modulation effects won't work well. That is a pretty big improvement for my part; for me it would justify the price hike. I also think the noise gate was a nice addition, at least for my part, since I run an all-racked rig that already has some very good reverb boxes in it. As for the claim of redundancy, surely the other channels are not more redundant than on any other JVM?

I wish Marshall would implement at least the loop, and possibly some other features from the JS too, into their new JVMs.

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:32 pm

It's about time [smiley-surprised] .

Though I had high hopes for it in the beginning, it kinda let me down after playing through a few them. I agree with the redundancy aspect some are saying in this thread, particularly in regards to OD2. I also didn't like the gate (they seemed to close down on the signal too slow for some types of playing). All modes in the clean channel always sounded kinda weak/thin, though all modes in the Crunch channel was much better to me. I do like that they offered something different in the effects loop by making it completely serial, though Santiago has posted schematics on how to make a standard 410H completely serial with only minor modifications internally, so not missing much there either. What I really liked about the 410HJS was the limited edition blue tolex for the head and matching cabs.

Perhaps it was the announcement that Satch and Marshall were no longer in business that led to the end of the 410HJS. Someone in this thread mentioned the sales numbers; I'm not sure what the actual sales numbers were during the time it was available for purchase as brand new, but I never seen anyone play a 410HJS in a band (I live near L.A. and San Diego areas). Whatever the reason(s), it's gone now.

After playing through the 410HJS, I've come to regard the 410HJS and the 410H as completely different amps with very little in common when asked for quick, basic comparison (I also thought of it as part of the signature series and never a part of the JVM4 series), which I'd followed up with a "play one for yourself" final comment. For a variety of reason (such as number of units produced due to it's unlimited status), I don't think it will be as sought on the used market as other signature series Marshall such as the Super100JH (Jimi Hendrix), the 1959RR (Randy Rhoads), AFD100 (Slash), YJM100 (Yngwie), but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:50 pm

I think endorsing new products is like putting out new recordings for some of these guys [ van halen , seems to be putting his name
on more things all the time, since he isn't putting out records , " Hey Look at me , I'm still relevant ! ]
be curious to see who joe hooks up with next , bogner ? one of the modelers ?
i guess like many companies , when sales start to get flat , time to come out with a New product!
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 pm

Lots of speculation why this has been discontinued - but the obvious answer is because JS is no longer endorsing it!

A lot of negative comments along the lines of "it's not really any good anyway" and "it wasn't selling" - which is surprising as a lot of people seem to prefer it to the standard JVM and it already contains most of the mods people do to it!

My guess is that it will be back in a different form ("JVM Classic" anybody?) preferably with the treble roll-off removed, Stock JVM clean channel restored, and with BOTH Reverb AND Noise gates!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm

Spacerocker wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:10 pm
Lots of speculation why this has been discontinued - but the obvious answer is because JS is no longer endorsing it!

A lot of negative comments along the lines of "it's not really any good anyway" and "it wasn't selling" - which is surprising as a lot of people seem to prefer it to the standard JVM and it already contains most of the mods people do to it!
Yet.....they're nowhere to be found. I see regular JVMs all the time. Satriani JVMs? Only in stores. No one in my city of 6 million people is gigging one. People may "prefer" it on paper, on forums, but they aren't preferring it when comes time to actually buy one. They're overpriced overkill and not worth it.
My gear list? Do a search.

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Post by RockmanCentral » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:25 pm

I respectfully disagree with most of the comments here about the HJS being inferior to the original JVM and would counter that it's superior in almost every way.

The switching on the HJS was WAY better than the JVM... almost instantaneous. The JVM was almost unusable to me because of the lag and was probably one of the biggest factors I hated about it and what convinced me to go with the HJS.

The HJS incorporated stock almost all of the best mods developed here for the JVM. The fact that it was stock meant I didn't have to worry about voiding my warranty or dealing with bad solder jobs. And it already has a choke too. (The only mod I ever did on it was the negative feedback mod, which was so easy I didn't even have to cut any traces or wires, thus I never voided the warranty).

I'm not a metal player so having OD1 on the JVM was a wasted channel. The HJS approach to having 2 duplicate channels that could have different settings and then having the ability to switch the metal tone in/out, on either channel, was much more useful.

The gain/compression/tone structure on the HJS just suits my taste much better. Complaining about the clean tone is pretty meaningless IMHO since it's not anything your can't fix with an EQ without even having to mod the amp.

A noise gate is very much a part of getting the perfect gain/tone and taming it to keep it quiet for post processing. As for it's locking down too fast or too slow, I always found running 2 gates works better. I used the internal one to gauge when to start clamping down, but didn't set it to clamp it down too fast or hard. I used a second gate in the loop to handle that once the internal gate started to clamp down. Setting it this way allows me to keep a note sustaining without the gate closing too soon, but also allows for staccato parts to go dead silent in between.

So ditching the reverb in favor of the gate was very appropriate since I don't view reverb as part of the amp/tone section of my rig. Better to have a dedicated multi processor on the cheap that is much more flexible while handling all the effects and let the HJS just be the heart of the gain/tone section, as is what you expect it to do since that's it's primary function by design.

For all this, I think it was well worth the money rather than the money spent on a JVM and then all the modding required to get it to even come close to the HJS. And even if you did all the mods on the JVM, you'd still have much slower switching than the HJS, and that can't be fixed with any mods that I'm aware of.

To each his own, but to me there is no contest between the two.
The HJS wins, hands down, and it's not even close.
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:56 pm

My guess is that it will be back in a different form ("JVM Classic" anybody?) preferably with the treble roll-off removed, Stock JVM clean channel restored, and with BOTH Reverb AND Noise gates!
that sounds like an evolution, and good idea's make tow gates & two verbs assignable
. personally I liked the HJS mod of adding a resister to the gain control caps softened the " sear " that I couldn't get rid on the jvm
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

atarilovesyou
Private Parties

Post by atarilovesyou » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:32 am

This isn't really surprising news, given that Joe isn't formally endorsing it anymore. That makes TWO discontinued Satch sig amps in my possession :D

I don't think Marshall was as fully behind with the marketing of this amp as they were, say the AFD or YJM...but that said, money talks and at the end of the day they just didn't sell. Considering the regular JVM is still in production, one would have to admit that model is selling better overall. I bought my JS sight unseen through a dealer. I'm still happy with my amp to this day, although I don't get to play it as much as I would like to these days.

Quick note for those who just might have the earlier model of JS to check that your MIDI chip is the most up to date version. There's a thread here on the site. It's quite unlikely you have an out of date one, but if you have any doubt I'd suggest verifying before Marshall stops all support of the amp. You just need to send Marshall a pic of your MIDI chip and they'll send you a replacement if it's the old one.

That outta the way, I think in retrospect I just might have kept the original JVM had I known that Santiago let us know how to turn that amp's effects loop into a pure serial loop (just like the JS). While I wasn't thrilled with the JVM's brown sound, the bigger deal for me was that loop...just drove me nuts. But because I bought my JVM before the HUGE price surge, I was able to trade it in for literally what I paid for it, and then only had to make up the difference in price to the JS. I think I would have been satisfied with OD1 Orange for my hair metal sound, Green Clean for my clean and the OD2 sounds for modern metal...the only one I really didn't care for was the Crunch channel, but that also just might have been because of my high output pickups on that channel (and the fact I didn't want to put a booster in there...odd, because I boost the JS all the time :D )

It's still a fantastic amp, as was the JVM (and JSX) before it. Marshall is going in a much different direction these days and I don't think Satch (or very many others, to be fair) move products at this price range quickly enough for Marshall to stick with it for long. It still stuck around longer than the previous two sig amps too. It's just a great sounding Marshall with a ton of features. Everybody here has covered the bases so there's no need for me to do so.

I anticipate it will keep its value better than my JSX too...a 100 watt Marshall is a 100 watt Marshall, after all. I'd like to see a next generation JVM from Marshall, but something tells me that's not going to happen. For lots of reasons, but maybe mostly because they refuse to do what companies like Friedman will do. If Marshall wants to be a legacy company, so be it. But people with money don't seem to be spending it on Marshall reissues. They're chasing down originals, or going to the boutique companies. Heck, the Suhr PT-100 has features very similar to my JS and isn't all that much more expensive.

Anyways, if you thought it was hard to find a JS out there, it's going to be even harder...if that's possible...now that it's out of production. I do advise anybody who runs into one to give it a try.

valvereaper
Beginner
Beginner

Post by valvereaper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Love mine. Think it might be an early one. Which chip might need replacing? Any pics

atarilovesyou
Private Parties

Post by atarilovesyou » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:17 am

It's on this site, but also the Marshall Forum. I don't have the time to find the link now, but if you google 'satriani', 'midi mate'...there's a thread, has pics. I contacted my Marshall rep just in case, but tbh haven't opened up the amp to photograph the chip. They won't send you a replacement unless you provided them a pic of your old one. Something to do with how it handles CC messages. I'm not a MIDI guy, sadly, but it's worth checking out.

Flameout1212
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Flameout1212 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:24 pm

I saw Joe back in Jan '18. He stayed on one of his OD-R modes the whole show except for one or two songs. I was really anticipating seeing him switch through his modes like I do and surprised he stayed on that one mode. He also used a base 1960 cab with the G12T-75s.

billy7
Pub Band

Re: Satriani Signature JVM discontinued -

Post by billy7 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I have two; one I drag around for practices and gigs, and one I keep unharmed at home. They are heavy beasts but I can't get a better array of useful live tones and controls from any other amp and I have a few.

Plus, the one wire switching and storage is brilliant. Thank you, Santiago!
---
JVM410HJS x2 both with JJ 6ca7's
JTM45 Copy
ESP-LTD 400AT & PB401 w/P-Rails