Back to say hi with my JVM410HJS review

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Back to say hi with my JVM410HJS review

Post by donnyboiler » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi guys, long time no see!

I don't have a JVM currently but I've been lurking recently, reading a few old posts and miss being around!

So I thought I'd post this review of the Satch JVM I did a few years ago as I don't think I ever shared it before... enjoy!

https://donstickguitar.net/2015/04/29/review-2/

XaviMartinez
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Back to say hi with my JVM410HJS review

Post by XaviMartinez » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:49 am

Nice review, I actually read it before purchasing my HJS.

I agree on everything except for the OD red channel (which I use 90% of the time). Yes it gets flubby when gain is above half way, however the cure I found after trying a few OD pedals (TS and Boss SD1) , was a Boss GE7 boosting 2 notches up at 800Hz, and 1 notch up at 400Hz and 1,6kHz.

I haven't looked back..... tight as hell (I play in a classic 80's metal band) and I only get compliments about my current tone.

The noise gates are super effective......FOH engineers love them !!! In our last gig he said I didn't need any eq, just fader up and that was it !

Yes I'm very happy with the HJS....

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Post by donnyboiler » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:30 am

Totally agree and I'm pretty sure I mentioned all of that in the review actually.

Like you, I used to use a graphic EQ to boost the front end. I used an MXR 6 band with a slight smile curve, just like yours. That yields one of the best '80s high gain tones I've ever heard.

Great amp, miss it actually!

atarilovesyou
Private Parties

Post by atarilovesyou » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey there Donny, nice to hear from ya! I take it you sold the JS again? What are you using these days, the 5153? I remember this review of the JS one of the better ones for sure. You got me turned into Suhr guitars, thanks!

I really wish I could find those YouTube clips you made of the JS way back, with the brown sound clips. So good! Just can't find them anywhere.

Take care!

donnyboiler
Private Parties

Post by donnyboiler » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:40 am

atarilovesyou wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 pm
Hey there Donny, nice to hear from ya! I take it you sold the JS again? What are you using these days, the 5153? I remember this review of the JS one of the better ones for sure. You got me turned into Suhr guitars, thanks!

I really wish I could find those YouTube clips you made of the JS way back, with the brown sound clips. So good! Just can't find them anywhere.

Take care!
Hey man, good to see ya. I'm using Bogner Ecstasy these days. Hit me up at my website below and I'll send you whatever vids I have. Took everything off YouTube as I can't stand all the muppets over there!

Also, try this https://soundcloud.com/donnyboiler/evh- ... -jvm410hjs