Ditching the JVM

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

amt7565
Pub Band

Ditching the JVM

Post by amt7565 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 am

I just bought a used Marshall DSL40CR at Guitarcenter and have been blown away by its superior response and tone. I don't need any pedals whatsover and able to play it without effort. I can get all of the crisp squeaky tones.

I feel I had to push the JVM410 a lot but with little response and just did not feel I could get that sweet spot after years of trying. Also it was really not the best amp to use in your home environment as I never could go past 9 o'Clock except when I was recording when I used to push it a bit.

The 40CR is perfect and just what I needed. I am also exploring getting a 5150 lunchbox.

I may still keep the 410around should I return to gigging.

mohi
Club Circuit

Re: Ditching the JVM

Post by mohi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:16 pm

Curiously enough, I never felt the need of using pedals with the JVM except perhaps a TS in front for some modernities, and I love using it at home. Totally different experiences ....

Good luck in your tone journey!
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Flameout1212
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Flameout1212 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm

I've read in several places that the new DSL-R series are noticeably better than the older ones. If you look at the front panel, looks like the borrowed some features from the JVMs.

Still, it's basically a 2 sound amp that lacks the flexibility of the JVMs.

And not sure why anyone would have to "push" a JVM. I haven't used any pedals in years.

Marshall Maniac
Garage Band

Post by Marshall Maniac » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:43 pm

mohi wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:16 pm
Curiously enough, I never felt the need of using pedals with the JVM except perhaps a TS in front for some modernities, and I love using it at home. Totally different experiences ....

Good luck in your tone journey!
My experience as well.
205h takes overdrive like Maxon OD808 and Boss SD-1 (the classics!) well.
The DSL40c with Creamback is a heckuva combo, enjoy.
For me it's not a JVM 1/2 stack killer though.

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 am
I just bought a used Marshall DSL40CR at Guitarcenter and have been blown away by its superior response and tone. I don't need any pedals whatsover and able to play it without effort. I can get all of the crisp squeaky tones.

I feel I had to push the JVM410 a lot but with little response and just did not feel I could get that sweet spot after years of trying. Also it was really not the best amp to use in your home environment as I never could go past 9 o'Clock except when I was recording when I used to push it a bit.

The 40CR is perfect and just what I needed. I am also exploring getting a 5150 lunchbox.

I may still keep the 410around should I return to gigging.

And there lies the answer! - I do not find it surprising that another amp works better for practicing at home! The JVM is a 100W valve amp designed for gigging and playing in large venues! In a small practice room, it could be putting out around 1W (certainly less than 5) and still be very loud! It is therefore not surprising that a smaller amp copes better in this environment, even though the JVM is pretty good at low volumes....

I use an AVT20 Valvestate amp at home, and this meets my needs perfectly! It has great tone, and is a lot more controllable than the JVM at low volumes.

But I bought my JVM for gigging and the versatility it provides, not least being able to have a dedicated lead channel (OD2) which can be set at a higher volume for leads! I have never felt the need to use OD or boost pedals with the JVM - that is one of things I bought the JVM to get away from!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:49 pm

To be fair, most amps don't sound good, or as good as they can sound at t.v. conversation level, where it's going to be more preamp gain
the 40 has the el 84's , which themselves break up a little sooner, but at that point some o/d boxes may soon as good
factor in money/cost, size and actual requirements [ will it be gigged with a drummer or not? ] and off you go !
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:15 am

Honestly, I never use my HJS at home - just for gigging. I don't see myself holding on to it if I would never perform on stage anymore.

I use Guitar Rig and AmpliTube at home... Much easier and better sounding (headphones) than any real amp in that situation. Maybe it would be different if I lived far away from any neighbours though...
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

Santi
Private Parties

Post by Santi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:21 pm

eh eh... I gotta ask this: is there a law that stops us from using OD pedals with the JVM??

Lately I have actually used the JVM more like a classic amp and just boosting the solos with OD pedals....

It doesn't look like the JVM gets upset with that.... smilie=icon_lol.gif

seriously guys, apart from all the joke, You can't use the JVM at home unless you can turn the volume up. You just don't get enough....

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm going to go the other way and say that the JVM is probably the best big amp out there for using "at home".

Of course, any 50/100 watt amp is going to sound better turned up loud. Duh. But the JVM's preamp structure and master volume is maybe the best in the business. In my experience, only the Friedmans have a master volume as friendly as the JVM's.

I've checked this myself with audio clips and spectrum analyzers. I recorded tracks from TV volume all the way up to Wembley Stadium loudness, using both the master volume and an attenuator, and the difference is much less than I thought it would be, all things considered. The tone was there. The cab and speakers obviously come more into play with the bigger volumes, but the low volume still sounded great. The attenuator tracks had more tonal difference than the master volume tracks.

So use your master volume if you need to with the JVM. Use pedals too if you want. If it doesn't sound good, it's your own fault. smilie=icon_lol.gif
My gear list? Do a search.