OK to leave the amp on STAND-BY for long hours?

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

amt7565
Pub Band

OK to leave the amp on STAND-BY for long hours?

Post by amt7565 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:31 pm

Anyone know what the manufacturer's recommendation is on leaving the amp on Stand-by mode for long hours?

During the weekends, I like to leave it on stand-by the entire day, so that I can play often w/o having to switch it on and off too many times. I also suppose that switching on/off also deteriorates the tubes with time.

thanks for any feedback.
Happy Weekend.

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: OK to leave the amp on STAND-BY for long hours?

Post by Greg_L » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:43 pm

amt7565 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:31 pm
Anyone know what the manufacturer's recommendation is on leaving the amp on Stand-by mode for long hours?

During the weekends, I like to leave it on stand-by the entire day, so that I can play often w/o having to switch it on and off too many times. I also suppose that switching on/off also deteriorates the tubes with time.

thanks for any feedback.
Happy Weekend.
Standby all day might be worse than just turning it on and off.

Some argue that the cathodes "cook" when they're just sitting there doing nothing. They're being heated for no reason. Standby is more a convenience than a necessity. No amp needs a standby. Amps will work just fine with nothing but an on/off switch.
My gear list? Do a search.

amt7565
Pub Band

Post by amt7565 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:08 am

Thanks for the insight Greg.

chronos1701
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chronos1701 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:16 am

On the other hand, constant heating and cooling can result in thermal fatigue which may result in failure of the metal component in the tubes. If you're leaving the amp alone for several hours at a time, I would turn the amp off. If you're only away for 15 minutes, I would leave the amp in standby. It really depends on how you plan to use the amp. But that's just me.
Guitar: Ibanez RG652FX with Air Norton neck & Tone Zone bridge | Ibanez RG1570 with Bare Knuckle War Pigs.
Amps: Marshall JVM410HJS (stock)
Cabs: Marshall 1960AV cab (Eminence Governor speakers) | Blackstar 1x12 with Eminence Governor
Effects: Line6 Pod HD500X | Boss GT-8

DalyCro
Private Parties

Post by DalyCro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:25 pm

I am not using it at all. Many time when I start to play, something or someone distract me and then I had to leave for a while. I put amp into standby because I always think I will be back soon. Unfortunately a lot of times amp stays on standby for hours and hours.
Result was....two times in one year I had to change power tubes. Reason was what Greg told you. I google it and found out that standby switch is not needed component in amps.

For last 1.5 years I still let amp on for hours while not playing but I am not putting amp into standby mode. Amp works just fine.
I am not even using standby switch when turning amp on or off. On my 205 standby switch is nothing but cosmetics :).

There is a theory that support why standby switches causing more problems than good. Google is your friend.

Rock on.
DD
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod; -ve fb), Marshall 4x12 Greenback. SG standard with 490R/498T. LP Bonamassa sig with BB2/BB3. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's Milk.G&L Asat tele with MFD.

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Garage Band

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 am

It's good practice to use the standby when first powering up the amp,[says so in the manual] let the power tubes warm up then rock out.
Leaving it on for hours when not using it is nuts.
It's not like a modern standby mode in your TV or Home Theater gear.
Where all that is powered is a LED lamp.
You are taking years off the power tube's life.
Shut it off.

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am

Hot 'Lanta Cat wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:28 am
It's good practice to use the standby when first powering up the amp,[says so in the manual] let the power tubes warm up then rock out.
Leaving it on for hours when not using it is nuts.
It's not like a modern standby mode in your TV or Home Theater gear.
Where all that is powered is a LED lamp.
You are taking years off the power tube's life.
Shut it off.
Still, I wonder... I'm an old fart and I remember all these vacuum tube tv's and radio's of the day... None of them had a stand-by switch and they seemed to work just fine for decades.
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

erpece wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:14 am
Still, I wonder... I'm an old fart and I remember all these vacuum tube tv's and radio's of the day... None of them had a stand-by switch and they seemed to work just fine for decades.
Right. How many amps from the 50s and 60s still work with just an on-off switch? A bunch. Many of them have an on-off switch and volume pot all in one.

And what does standby even really do? I think in most amps it cuts off the HT voltage and allows only the heaters to work. Maybe there's a minuscule advantage towards tube life in amps with really high plate voltages. Standby allows the cathodes to be warm before the tube gets bombarded with high voltage. It's debatable whether that matters or not because cooking cathodes without the plates being energized can shorten tube life too.
My gear list? Do a search.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 pm

They made better tubes back then, the phrase is cathode striping where the tube is hit with full voltage instantly, deteriorates a bit. Like a light bulb popping when you turn it on, some .....people leave tube gear on 247 , mesa had recommended leaving amps on standby in between sets but I think most people would turn it off over night, so I think it's a question of how long, it's the initial turn on that that causes damage, on and off of standby is
still having the amp on cooking !
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 am

I thought that cathode stripping was a real thing , perhaps not with good caps ?
interesting article here [ any science ? ]
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... itch-myth/
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........