Howling LP Deluxe

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

corvairdoug
Pub Band

Howling LP Deluxe

Post by corvairdoug » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Hey!
I have a 1978 Gibson LP Deluxe, with the mini humbuckers. It's my "spare" at gigs currently. My main is an EPI LP Std, with stock pup in the neck, and a JB in the bridge, 50's wiring w Bumblebees, and CTS pots. The problem I'm having, is the EPI is fine on OD1/amber, but the Gibson howls and feeds back like crazy, to the point of uncontrollable. So bad that I have to go to green or Crunch to tame it.
Any ideas why such a big difference?
I'm not very familiar with the old 70's mini pups, but I'm betting that's the answer.
Thanks!
78 LP Deluxe Goldtop; 79 Strat; 98 Korina Epi Explorer; 11 EPi LP; late 80's Seagull 12; JVM 410H with Choke mod & Anti Stiffness mod; Home built cab w G12T-75s & Vintage 30s

okgb
Club Circuit

Re: Howling LP Deluxe

Post by okgb » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Maybe they need to be " potted " ?
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:00 pm

I'm betting those pickups are microphonic.
My gear list? Do a search.

rockat
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rockat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:13 pm

Yep get the pickups potted. Gibson in the past did not pot there pickups. Had one myself a Gibson logo PU from early 70’s which howled like a pig until I had it potted. Worked fine afterwards.