Are you chicken to do this to your JVM?

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Tripp
Garage Band

Are you chicken to do this to your JVM?

Post by Tripp » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:44 pm

My vision just ain't what it used to be. At gigs with stage lighting, I have trouble seeing how the knobs are set on my JVM, especially from a distance. I even keep a pair of readers close by (hidden, of course) so I can adjust on the fly, which I do frequently since I play a few different guitars at each gig.

knobs.jpeg

So, I did this.

chicken_head.jpeg

Much better now. Not only can I easily see how each knob is set, the chicken heads make it easier to nudge quickly while I'm playing.

I get that it drastically changes the look. But the older I get, practicality wins out. The sound is still ALL MARSHALL!

In case anyone else wants to do this: Penn-Elcom Z408620 Amplifier Chicken Head Knob Black at Parts Express. And there's no problem with clearance between knobs or any of the buttons (but just barely). Of course, with 28 knobs on a JVM 410h, that a lot of cash just for knobs. But your eyes may thank you.

erpece
Club Circuit

Re: Are you chicken to do this to your JVM?

Post by erpece » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:41 am

I find that chicken head knobs makes my Marshall sound too Voxy....
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:02 am

@OP: you gotta do what you gotta, especially when it comes to your health and comfort.

I wouldn't change the knobs for the same reasons. Instead, I'd probably just pull a pen flashlight out of my back pocket with that (I also have lights in my rack space).

But right now, once I arrange the knobs on my 410H, it's "set and forget" after that, so no real need to make major adjustments mid song or between songs.

chronos1701
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chronos1701 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:26 am

erpece wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:41 am
I find that chicken head knobs makes my Marshall sound too Voxy....
+1. Couldn't agree more. :D
Guitar: Ibanez RG652FX with Air Norton neck & Tone Zone bridge | Ibanez RG1570 with Bare Knuckle War Pigs.
Amps: Marshall JVM410HJS (stock)
Cabs: Marshall 1960AV cab (Eminence Governor speakers) | Blackstar 1x12 with Eminence Governor
Effects: Line6 Pod HD500X | Boss GT-8

redguitar
Beginner
Beginner

Post by redguitar » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:51 am

I would not be chicken to do that. It can help the old eyes, plus it makes your amp a bit more "theft deterrent", being easily identified.

On other non-marshall amps of the past, once I got the knobs dialed in, I would pull them off the splined pot shaft, rotate some common mark on all the knobs to a "12:00" reference, then stick em back on. So if any knobs got bumped or tweaked during transit or setup, I would just have to 12:00 all knobs. The JVM unfortunately doesn't allow this tweak.