JVMHJS410 Muddiness

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

boyedav
Beginner
Beginner

JVMHJS410 Muddiness

Post by boyedav » Thu May 21, 2020 6:30 pm

I just bought a used JVM410HJS in excellent condition. It came with (4) SED Winged C tubes, and both the OT and choke were upgraded to Mercury Magnetics. I can't tell if the PT is stock or not. I'm assuming so, since it doesn't have the MM badges on it.

I notice the low end gets muddy with the gain much past noon (crunch, OD1, and OD2). I've searched the forum and that seems to be a common observation, especially with high-output pickups (the Seymour JB is the go-to pickup in most of my guitars).

Aside from keeping the gain down or using an overdrive pedal to tighten up the low end, is there anything else I can do? I have another Gibson with 490s in it that I'm going to try to see how medium output pickups sound. I'm also going to roll in some different preamp tubes. The existing ones look like Groove Tube-branded Chinese.

Thanks!

okgb
Club Circuit

Re: JVMHJS410 Muddiness

Post by okgb » Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm

Why not try an EQ in the loop, treat the ch eq's as basic color, and let the loop eq make up the deficiencies ?
I don't use my JVM Live or particularly loud [ and it has many mods ] with your upgrades sounds like you're starting from a good place!
the eq's on most tube amps are basic cut only shelves so, you might look to the cathodes or coupling caps to reduce low end, such a thing
should get into the mod book if you find a solution that suits you !
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Post by RockmanCentral » Mon May 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Lows are great when you are playing by yourself, but in a band mix it'll turn to mud real fast.
Pull out some of those lows and give your bassist and drummer some of that sonic space back.
You're mix will sound better and your guitar will cut through better too.
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

boyedav
Beginner
Beginner

Post by boyedav » Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I think what needs to happen is for the bass to be cut before the gain/clipping stages, which is why ODs with a high pass filter seem to tighten up the low end.