My JVM 205H is finally here !

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Lorenzar
Beginner
Beginner

My JVM 205H is finally here !

Post by Lorenzar » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am

Hi guys !

So after a long wait (I believe I post a couple of things here back in may), my JVM 205H is finally at home ! (without footswitch and power cable though ! ahah! Marshall apparently forgot to put those in the box, as it was still sealed, gotta have to wait a little bit for the FS).

What a terrific amp that is ! Instant improvement over anything I had so far (not like I had really fancy amp either, I was on the 20W territory so far, JVM being my first 50W amp, but probably the most manageable at low volume as well!).

So far I think it's an easy amp to use. I've noticed Crunch Orange and OD Green has less volume than other modes, so I set Master 1 for Clean Green and Crunch Red and OD Orange and Red and use Master 2 for Crunch Orange and OD Green, and this master 2 can act as a boost for the 4 modes with channel 1 set.

What I do to dial up, so far I let the EQ and gain around 12 o'clock, I set the master 1 first for my clean sound, adjust the volume control for the crunch Red to balance, and do the same with OD Orange and Red. Seems like it's gonna be the 4 modes I use the most anyway.

There's really something special that I love about this Marshall dirt sound. I know my OD channel here is like the OD2, which is supposed to be "less" marshally, but whatever that is, there's definitely to me here the thing I love about Marshall and that I do not find on other amps.

Having said that, I will, for the sake of doing it, try to set my EQ with the converted OD1 curve to see how it sounds, but I'm pretty sure I won't bother with this in the long run.

Another very cool features is the slaving thing. I tried (once again for the sake of doing it as this JVM is my better amp and I won't slave anything in it except for fun) to put my little Randall RD5 into the JVM (serial loop return). Wow ! This kinda weak amp turns into a beast using JVM power section !

I even tried to run an A/B box with the exemple they talk about in the manual, using the external amp into the parallell loop return with mix 100% wet and go back in forth between the Clean green and the Randall. Sounded freakin good and convenient !

Makes me think the slaving thing can be absolutely usefull as well when you have a freakin loud amp or one where the master volume is not progressive at all (hello Mesa Boogie and Orange!) and you want to use them at home with low/controlled volume. I guess the JVM could be your best friend for that as well !

But like I said, I'm so in love with it for the last couple of days, that I don't think I'll touch any other amps for a while.

As far as the parallell loops is going, I'll post something in another thread, cause it seems that I'm doing something a bit unorthodox so far. As I'd like to use my FX sometimes only on Clean and bypassed on OD (I hadn't this luxury before, I was FX Loop always on, but let's make advantage of a cool feature), I've noticed, not a volume drop but a volume increase when the loop in engaged. So I run it 90% dry (the volume seems to be the same that way), it gives me a subtle delay that I like, but for my Chorus pedal I need to put the level effect on the pedal really high to hear the chorus effect. Seems to work though !

By the way, I'm only using the amp at low volume so far, I found it to be pretty quiet, my next band practice should be at the end of august.
Oh and I'm running it through my Peavey 2*12 cab currently loaded with 2 Neo Creamback speakers. Sounds good ! But will probably start to hunt for a cheap used Marshall 4*12 for rehearsal !!!!