JVM410HJS Satriani, tones, opinions

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

nyne
Garage Band

JVM410HJS Satriani, tones, opinions

Post by nyne » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi guys!
Have come across a great deal on a JVM410HJS but cant check it out.

Opinions seem to be split; some say its a more mature JVM. Others say it lost its brutality!
Common critism has been a thin clean channel and lesser gain on the OD channels and duplicate OD channels.

I do own a modded JVM410; its good but its not great: crunch needs boost; cleans are decent; OD1 is killer but loses low end compared to the Crunch channel; OD2 is too compressed!

Should i take a chance on the Satriani ?
Read its a really reaally good Marshall with good classic and modern tones!
And....what is this about the HJS lacking pick attack!

I could google and find all these answers but am in a rush so i really appreciate ur thoughts!
Thanks

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Re: JVM410HJS Satriani, tones, opinions

Post by RockmanCentral » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

I love the HJS and IMHO it blows the original JVM away.

OK, it doesn't blow it away, because the JVM IS a great amp....
But there's a reason so many mods were developed for the JVM to take care of some of its stock "anomalies".
And it's interesting how many of those mods ended up in the HJS as part of the stock design.
So to me, the HJS is a factory modded JVM, with a GREAT built in Noise Gate instead of reverb, and virtually instant channel switching.

If you are a straight up metal head (nothing wrong with that), then maybe just stick with the JVM.
But if you also play classic rock, I say pull the trigger and get the HJS... I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

Marshall Maniac
Pub Band

Post by Marshall Maniac » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 am

RockmanCentral wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

But there's a reason so many mods were developed for the JVM to take care of some of its stock "anomalies".
And it's interesting how many of those mods ended up in the HJS as part of the stock design.
So to me, the HJS is a factory modded JVM, with a GREAT built in Noise Gate instead of reverb, and virtually instant channel switching.

If you are a straight up metal head (nothing wrong with that), then maybe just stick with the JVM.
But if you also play classic rock, I say pull the trigger and get the HJS... I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Perfect reply right there!

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 am

RockmanCentral wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:41 pm

+1
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

XaviMartinez
Beginner
Beginner

Post by XaviMartinez » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 pm

I just came back from my first rehearsal using my brand new HJS.

It can do classic metal without any problem. We are an Accept cover band and I've used the red OD channel at half gain for the most part, just kicking in a Boss SD1 and DD7 delay for solos.

Not sure about thrash , death or other forms of extreme metal, because it's voiced to sound really open, but I was afraid that it wouldn't have enough "kick" and boy I was wrong. This thing rocks. And the noise gates are the icing on the cake. It's dead silent !!!

I am using it with a brand new 1960AV cab, which I know it's the "wrong" cab, but it sounds quite good.

nyne
Garage Band

Post by nyne » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:37 am

Thank u so much for the replies!
So, why is there a popolar opinion that the clean channel is thin and over all the amp lacks pick attack ?

Cheers guys!

XaviMartinez
Beginner
Beginner

Post by XaviMartinez » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:13 am

The clean channel in green mode sounds like a clean transistor channel. Yes it's a bit thin. I use it on the orange channel, it's a bit warmer.

It doesn't lack pick attack at all, but this being said, I hit strings rather hard.

I had many concerns before buying it, will it have enough oomph ? Will it sound flubby ? Will it have that Marshall grind ?.

All my concerns were gone in 30 seconds !!!.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:29 pm

If you can resell it for close to what you pay then you get to try it out like you're renting it
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:38 pm

When I bought my JVM410 in 2014, I played a HJS side by side to the JVM410.

The clean green channel of the HJS doesn't speak to me at all: dull and lifeless to my ears. That alone was already the show stopper.
The clean green channel of the JVM410 is much more sparkling and warm.

As a cover musician, I benefit a lot of the variety of the JVM410. I find the crunch channel ok, but not great. With a Tube screamer in front, it sounds decent enough to play crunch classic tunes.

The OD2 channel in the JVM410 is compressed and that is what I love for High gain lead tones ala Steve Lukather.

I do not need the built in Noise gates in the HJS (as I do not need the built in reverbs in the JVM410). With my Fractal FX8 MultiFX noise gates and a moderate gain level setting the OD-channels are pretty quiet.

All in all I consider the HJS not as a mature JVM, but rather a signature amp which is adapted to the specific playing style needs of JS.

The HJS is therefore not superior to the JVM410 IMO - just different.
But that is obviously the beauty of these two amps which can fulfill different tastes and needs.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

chronos1701
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chronos1701 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 am

The HJS seems more suited to rock and classic metal. If that's what you play most then the HJS would be ideal. The many channels and modes give you plenty of options to play around with. The only downside to the HJS would be the flubby bass you get when the gain on the OD channel is cranked up. But then for me, I'm hardly in that territory. Not sure of the original JVM behaves that way as well, but something to note.
Guitar: Ibanez RG652FX with Air Norton neck & Tone Zone bridge | Ibanez RG1570 with Bare Knuckle War Pigs.
Amps: Marshall JVM410HJS (stock)
Cabs: Marshall 1960AV cab (Eminence Governor speakers) | Blackstar 1x12 with Eminence Governor
Effects: Line6 Pod HD500X | Boss GT-8

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:40 pm

I guess the JVM has more negativ feedback than the HJS. That keeps the OD-channels (orange + red Mode) nicely thight for high gain sounds.

The flipside of the higher amount of negativ feedback is that the crunch channel is not that dynamic and therefore not so responsive to pick attacks.

Did a negativ feedback mod only on the crunch channel by an amp technician zwo years ago. That has helped to improve the crunch channel dynamic.

If I remember right, some Mesa Boogie amp Models also have a channel based negativ feedback adjustment knob.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

billy7
Pub Band

Post by billy7 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 am

It took me a few months to get a good understanding of how the controls interact on my JHS. Twelve channels is a lot, for me, to learn!

EL34's are not always my favorite tubes for the sounds I seek; they can be harsh, with a sound range that is too narrow and with minimal or "mushy" bass, for my ear, and that's how I perceived the Marshall EL34's that came stock in my JHS. After I got comfortable with the 12 channels, footswitch, and the JHS controls, I began experimenting with different power tubes, preamp tubes and biasing in my JHS, as I have done with most of my tube amps. After a few weeks of daily tubes changes, testing, biasing, listening, and channel tweaking, I ended up with a final configuration that is comprised of new Mullard and Tung-sol preamp tubes and 4x JJ 6ca7 (not tubes advertised as EL34/Cca7) power tubes biased at 45ma. At 45ma it is likely that these JJ Cca7's will wear out 20% faster, or even sooner, but this is where the tone I like in my JHS lives.

Since I prefer the clean tones of older Marshall JTM-45's and some clones of the JTM-45's that are configured with KT66's and a tube rectifier, this was the general clean tone I pursued for JHS channel 1; the final tube configuration above yielded tones very similar to these cleans; maybe not quite as rich or harmonic, but satisfying in its their own JHS way. It also took the "mush" out of the low range. Also, I use an enclosed 2x12 cab with Celestion 8 ohm golds for all my amps.

The JHS has so many options, but it is well worth the time and trouble to explore and understand them. The same is true for its footswitch.

I certainly do not suggest this is a configuration for anyone else; I do hope my experience helps others with a JHS to take the time they need to get the most out of its expansive offerings. It is likely the most versatile and satisfying amp I have owned so far.

Happy Holidays, and enjoy!
---
JVM410HJS with JJ 6ca7's
JTM45 Copy
ESP-LTD 400AT & PB401