Got my first JVM410 and I'm just WAW!

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Silverburst75
Beginner
Beginner

Got my first JVM410 and I'm just WAW!

Post by Silverburst75 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:31 pm

It's been a long time I was wandering around here. It the time I bought the first JVM JS limited blue in my country, hell, It must have been one of the first hitting European land from UK. It was my first big purchase, a gift for myself after a few years of misery. But I almost hated the amp. I tried so many things like biasing, switching all kind of tubes, cabs, guitars, you name. It always sounded flubby, poor pickup response, raising gain equaled mud, there always was something in the gain structure I never liked. I even had it sent back to Bletchley and had talks with Santiago, all super super helpful beyond anything. The said they replaced the board and tubes and upon getting it back with the greatest expections, nothing had changed. I held on for a long time as it was a big purchase but it was only collecting dust and I didn't dare to mod a signature amp.

So have been to Friedman BE, Runt, Smallbox, Laney Ironheart (this one was pretty cool though!), Axe FX etc and these units surely sounded nice, don't get me wrong! But I always have been fond of tones like AC/DC, early Van Halen, Nuno bettencourt.... yeah you know that drill if you are like me so the pull to Marshall always has been big. I came across a cheap JVM which I was not able to buy, but it made look at some tube vids where I came across a guy Shawn Talyer, nailing some frigging nice old skool Van Halen, yup and that bug in my head was lit up again.... and made remember the mod community on this forum because Shawn did a few mods (plexi cap, neg feedback, choke).

So I have been on the hunt and just got one stock JVM half stack this week. Well and I'll be darned... I'm frigging floored! Such great attack, punch, response. Everything the JS WAS NOT and what I wanted it to be!!! How could that be possible ??? Man, even my Taiwanese DS-1 sounds quite good through Clean orange mode holy cow!!! Satch used that for years and indeed on a lot of amps it does not sound good, but it works on the JVM !!! I'm having so much fun with this amp now. I can't believe all the hate I have read, even from Marshall lovers who swear on the old ones.

And at the end it is simple... you want AC/DC, early Van Halen, Nuno bettencourt tones? Well just get a Marshall, end of story. I have been purchasing to many dreams and stuff, until expensive Friedman stuff, and they sound amazing in their own way, and might be based on Marshalls, but they are just not Marshalls in the end. Amen and thanks for reading! ;) Now my Helix in 4CM and I'm juiced up. [smilie=icon_cool.gif]
Last edited by Silverburst75 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

DalyCro
Pub Band

Re: Got my first JVM and I'm just WAW!

Post by DalyCro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:35 am

Out of curiosity, what happend with JS that was colecting dust? :)
And what JVM stock you bought, s2 or s4?
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod; -ve fb), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's Milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.

Silverburst75
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Got my first JVM410 and I'm just WAW!

Post by Silverburst75 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:16 am

Sold the JS after 4 years, the new one is a 410 as well

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am

Great story and good to hear you found what you were looking for in an amp.

Funnily enough I went the other way around in search of the tones you describe. I owned a 410H from 2007-2012 and did several mods that made it sound (even) better to me. I did a head to head comparison in my studio between my 410 and the new HJS when in came out in 2012 and although they sounded very similar, the HJS felt more organic to me. Not a huge difference because of the modded 410H, but still. So I sold my 410H and have been very happy with my HJS since then. I didn't like the HJS clean channel, so I modded that to a 410 clean with the plexi mod.

Goes to show that personal perception has to do a lot with getting in the zone! smilie=icon_lol.gif
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

Silverburst75
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Silverburst75 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:57 am

Indeed, it is all do very personal.

I tried The JS in Japan in 2 store when I was fortunate enough to be able to travel there. And on both accounts it sounded better in both stores. So I might have had a lemon, but since marshall said they replaced boards and tubes, I'm not sure where it went wrong. I have a 220v blue ed and those were black 110v's, that all I know.

when I visited the Marshall factory once, they told me that there was a tollerance of 3% or 0.3% (not sure anymore) on each of the 500+ parts in the jvm amps. but even with 0.3% it adds up significantly if you'd compare 2 extreme cases of amps.

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 am

Congratulation on acquiring the 410H.

I, too, tried the 410HJS many times with different cabs, tubes, guitars, etc., and I came to conclusion that it just wasn't the amp for me.

I was immediately blown away first time I played a stock 410H at a music store back in late 2017; I could not believe that was a Marshall! I played a few more at different stores, and each time I was amazed. No one I knew had a 410H, so all I could do was demo in store. Finally pulled the trigger in early 2018 for a brand new 410H and been happy ever since.

Since then, I've come across more JVM owners. I've tried out some modified JVM4 and JVM2 amps, but I've never been impressed with the mods, so I've always kept mine stock. My 410H sounds just as great now as it did more than 10 years ago. Though I like to keep things consistent, I find that a combination of changing power tubes, changing preamp tubes, changing speakers, and/or adding EQ (especially parametric EQ) is more pleasing and useful than any modification I've ever tried.

Take care of your 410H and it will no doubt always deliver.
Last edited by MonstersOfTheMidway on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:43 pm

My JVM is heavily modified and I've kept almost all the changes, when I played a friend's stock JVM , I thought
" wow, that's pretty good as is " it's got something the modded one doesn't, although decadent I was tempted to get another
and have both, haven't yet.
If you find the stock JVM has a " sear " to it, a brightness you can't dial out the there is a simple JS mod adding resisters to the
volume bright caps that tames & smooths very nicely
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Silverburst75
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Silverburst75 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm

MonstersOfTheMidway wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 am

I, too, tried the 410HJS many times with different cabs, tubes, guitars, etc., and I came to conclusion that it just wasn't the amp for me.

I was immediately blown away first time I played a stock 410H at a music store back in late 2017; I could not believe that was a Marshall! I played a few more at different stores, and each time I was amazed. No one I knew had a 410H, so all I could do was demo in store. Finally pulled the trigger in early 2018 for a brand new 410H and been happy ever since.

Since then, I've come across more JVM owners. I've tried out some modified JVM4 and JVM2 amps, but I've never been impressed with the mods, so I've always kept mine stock. My 410H sounds just as great now as it did more than 10 years ago. Though I like to keep things consistent, I find that a combination of changing power tubes, changing preamp tubes, changing speakers, and/or adding EQ (especially parametric EQ) is more pleasing and useful than any modification I've ever tried.

Thanks! I have been waiting for your response hehe, we've been in discussion on Marshallforum years ago. when the js came out. Heated stuff then lol. But you were right lol, and now the js is discontinued... bam. go figure. The noise gate was handy though!

hmmm, so what mods did you try? OD1 orange is my absolute favorote right now. Was contemplating pleximod, neg feedback mod primeraly, but most certainly switchable so I could return how.

Mine comes with all stock marshall tubes. Is there a must to go with as I figure they have never been replaced.

I was alway fond of v30's in the past but I must say the stock G12t75 work very well with this amp. I was surprised I actually seem to prefer a stcok 1960 over a Bogner v30 cab (have both currently). Looking towqrds adding 2 greenbacks in the mix given my loves of tones like early ed, nuno, acdc...

Great to hear you rebought a fresh one. Congratz! No doubt your go to amp man!

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 pm

My JVM410 head is mostly stock. I like it that way. I've had it for 6 trouble free years, and it gets used hard. Mine's no bedroom amp.

I've done the adjustable negative feedback mod....which I never use. And added a choke, which I feel was a good mod.
My gear list? Do a search.

Silverburst75
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Silverburst75 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm

It is ridiculous how OD1 orange puts a smile on my face!

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm

Silverburst75 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:03 pm
MonstersOfTheMidway wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:16 am

Thanks! I have been waiting for your response hehe, we've been in discussion on Marshallforum years ago. when the js came out. Heated stuff then lol. But you were right lol, and now the js is discontinued... bam. go figure. The noise gate was handy though!

hmmm, so what mods did you try? OD1 orange is my absolute favorote right now. Was contemplating pleximod, neg feedback mod primeraly, but most certainly switchable so I could return how.

Mine comes with all stock marshall tubes. Is there a must to go with as I figure they have never been replaced.

I was alway fond of v30's in the past but I must say the stock G12t75 work very well with this amp. I was surprised I actually seem to prefer a stcok 1960 over a Bogner v30 cab (have both currently). Looking towqrds adding 2 greenbacks in the mix given my loves of tones like early ed, nuno, acdc...

Great to hear you rebought a fresh one. Congratz! No doubt your go to amp man!
Hello. Good to hear from you.

I never modified my 410H. My experiences with modified JVM amps come from using modified JVM4 and JVM2 amps that belonged to someone else. I've played through both JVM4 and JVM2 amps that had the negative feedback mod (I used amps that had an adjustable pot for negative feedback as well as the hardwired/fixed setting mods), blackface mod, pleximod, C19 mod, and the AFD100 mod (owner said it made JVM Crunch channel sound like the AFD100). I also used a few JVM4 and JVM2 amps that had other mods added, such as a choke. If you feel like modifying your amp is the right choice for you, then give it a try and let us know how you like the amp after mods.

As far as tubes go, it's really up to you. With preamp tubes, you can try different tube brands, different tube types (so long as the types are compatible with the amp), and different gain factor ratings. After I removed all stock Marshall preamp tubes, I first tried a mix of brands, such as Tung-Sol, Electro-Harmonix, JJ, TubeAmpDoctor, etc. I also tried different types, such as 7025-S in the phase inverter as well as in the gain stages. I now use all the same preamp tube brand and type in all positions in an effort to improve consistency. Nothing wrong with wanting to mix up brands and types (so long as the types are compatible with the amp), but I feel like using all one brand and type in the preamp section helps with getting a consistent tone and makes it a little easier dialing in the amp for what I like to hear.

With speakers, it's really your choice. I used a 4x12 with greenback-type speakers (G12C) with great results, but I also got good results with other types, such as Celestion G12H-90. Try a few different brands and types to see what you like.

Enjoy your new amp.