Forum Posting Guidelines - PLEASE POST IN CORRECT CATEGORY !

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Andy
Administrator

Forum Posting Guidelines - PLEASE POST IN CORRECT CATEGORY !

Post by Andy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:13 pm

disclaimer: We consider any posts made here on jvmforum.com to be public conversations and as such are not anyone's
particular intellectual property, and if you think otherwise then please don't post here ...

Any expressed opinion is just that, and if found to be contrary to the good of the forum (e.g. too personal, political, sexist bla bla)
it may be deleted or abridged at the moderator's discretion.

This is a reallly great forum, lately we have been trying to make the forum a bit more organised with the goal of being easier to use and find stuff and so be the reference place for all things JVM.

To aid this goal here are some guidelines, to give less work to the moderators and achieve the above goals:

- Please use a meaningful subject in any new thread topic
example : avoid "please help" and instead use "no sound - what can I do ?"
i.e. think of others having to read it and not your own immediate situation - you will get help quicker.

This is also requested because its easier to find info by browsing subjects and also
as the search function works on the keywords folks can find a topic that interests them without having to read every topic .

- Please put your thread in the right category if there is one
Having stuff in Categories means it's easier to find things and not have
to bother reading stuff you're not interested in. Otherwise what's the point
of categories ...? so "no sound - what can I do ?" goes in the Workshop Category.

If your bookmark for the the forum is http://jvmforum.com and you're
logged in you'll see the icon to the left of the categories is yellow if there are new posts
so you shouldn't miss anything new.

- Please don't start a new thread if a recent thread exists for the exact same topic
Why repeat stuff that's already there, just post on the existing thread.

If you're new - Read all of the stickies in each category, and preferably all existing threads - your time will be very well spent learning about this great amp series and other people's experiences and advice

Suggestions and feedback welcome ...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:18 pm

Well if nothing else ... this has been an interesting insight into human nature ...

RachelMorgan
Club Circuit

Post by RachelMorgan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 pm

We've gotten into bad habits of starting new threads when threads already exist. This is because many web sites have the worst internal search engines. Some allow you to type in one word. So you type it in, then the site either returns a "no match" or 50 bazillion threads that contain that word. The no match usually occurs if you designate it as a word in the title of the thread.
Randall MTS Lynch Box (Modules: JTM (Marshally crunch); Brahma (Lynch Dokken); SL+ (Marshally); Deluxe (Fender); KH1 (Fender); Grail (Mesa DR); Mr. Scary (Soldano)); Fender HR Deville
ESP Alexi V; G&L Legacy; Gibson J45; Epi LP Special (P90s); Gibson SG Std
Memberships -- League of Pentatonic Players; League of Vocal Assassins

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes I agree totally - that is one of the reasons for having the categories so that you narrow subject areas down. Thanks go to the people who have done that.
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Andy
Administrator

Re: Forum Posting Guidelines - PLEASE POST IN CORRECT CATEGORY !

Post by Andy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Some peeps are getting rather slack with the "in the correct category" thing.

Categories exist so that subject areas can be accessed easier, rather than having 1 huge monolithic
discussion, so please respect the guidelines and the work that moderators have to do.

To quote a ToddZillerism "All good" [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup

Andy
Administrator

Re: Forum Posting Guidelines - PLEASE POST IN CORRECT CATEGO

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Posts from people who are obviously too lazy to check past posts / use search / post in the right category are now moved without a shadow topic.

Repeated lazy postings by a member will result in a kindly pm and then if no change you take your chances - an admins voluntary time is worth more than 1 minute of a lazy persons time.

Regards

The Category Police !!!

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:41 am

AndySpain wrote:Posts from people who are obviously too lazy to check past posts / use search / post in the right category are now moved without a shadow topic.

Repeated lazy postings by a member will lead to a pm and then if no change - deletion of account - an admins voluntary time is worth more than 1 minute of a lazy persons time.

Regards

The Category Police !!!

Rule #1: The Boss is always right.
Rule #2: If Boss is wrong, see Rule #1.

Go Boss!

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Rick O'Shea
Club Circuit

Post by Rick O'Shea » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Just show a little respect for Andy, who just wants this place to be easy, organised, thorough and awesome. He spends much time to correct us, lets just do it right for the first time.
Rick O'Shea
JVM410H EH12AT7 in V1
Diamond Halo Chorus, MXR CAE Wah, Decimator G-String
JCM900 1936 w/stock G12T75s
SG '61 Reissue, '83 B.C. Rich Eagle REG-2

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 am

It probably seems petty and gestapo like - but if there are 7 "out" posts a day thats like 20 minutes to tidy up ... anyway so far there has only ever been 1 account deleted period (for blatant commercial misuse).

This is a great forum and I wanna keep it that way thats all, and its made great by the members [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:04 am

We 'the moderators' like to keep this place tidy and info easy to find, so I'd just like to reiterate:

Have a question ? SEARCH for answers, using the in built google search or the forum search function, think of different ways of how the information may be found if you can't find anything, only then ask if you can't find anything.

Then ask the question in the SAME THREAD, often a sticky, or the one you found by searching, otherwise info is splattered around in loads of different places - as is happening now.

Doing mods ? READ READ READ , yes there's tons of info, yes its FREE info, yes you can kill yourself and your amp and the cat if you do not do it right, so get clued up. THE place to start when modding is the mod catalogue, where we (especially Jackie) try to keep the information together.

I know it's daunting especially for new members with all the info there is, but I myself am getting bored of wading thru questions on things that have been asked/said already, and basically spending my time answering whilst lazy people save their time.

New members should always introduce themselves before posting anything, it's polite to do so and is just plain rude in my book to ask a question without having introduced yourself.

NEVER call names and make it personal, or complain when someone has used their time and bothered to give you an answer. It's an amplifier forum not a political party.

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 am

I would just like to add that while IME most (built in) forum search engines are crap and this one is pretty much the same, the custom google search on the forum is a humongous improvement over anything I've seen so far.

So please, search before you post a new question.

I understand if you're a new tube amp head and cab user hooking up a cab correctly can be a worry. Even more so if you are a combo user and you want to add a cab. That's what the Cab connection FAQ is for.

Biasing is something a LOT of users do. The sticky is quite huge but if the google custom search helps you find a post in said sticky that is at least closely related to your question the answer is probably 1-3 pages away.

Mods. Oh, dem mods. I put together a catalogue for quick reference (I used my own catalogue printout to give to my tech to mod mine). It includes a link to the original thread with all additional info.

I've tried searching for answers on some questions lately posted and it took me literally less than 5 minutes to find it using keywords that a new user might look at.
For example I used "speaker connect" and "cabinet connect" and "16 ohm cabinet connect to 410" or "correct cabinet connection 205h". I got my Cab connection FAQ mostly in the top 5 results (page 2 on one entry though) and a lot of other threads already answering that question.

I used "bias pot JVM205H" to answer a recent question and the answer was three pages forward (a user confirmed the presence of two bias pots after biasing his JVM215 combo). Googled "bias tone difference" and got a lot of hits as well.

I also googled "jvm choke mod" and "plexi cap value" and "warm clean channel mod". All of that gave me the corresponding big mod threads or a more specific thread.

Long story short: THIS FORUM IS LADEN WITH INFO - USE IT [smilie=icon_wink.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Yep, I'm getting rather fed up and heading towards starting to delete duplicated / non-searched-for stuff ... or new topics re-opening stuff that's covered/discussed in the stickies or existing topics ... I'd rather be playing my JVM than cleaning up laziness on here ...

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:38 pm

Just to clarify a bit on our intentions:

This forum is a great place, very user friendly and the level of snobbery is 0. Great atmosphere and while I've joined three guitar forums and others, I love and return to this one the most frequently (even have a tab pinned in my browser), I think that speaks for itself icon_smile

We're not trying to "go Gestapo" on this forum like Andy already said. Start deleting everyone's shit and attacking users for asking a question, killing the atmosphere. But understand that it gets a bit tedious around here to answer the same questions over and over again, post the same links, threads etc., especially if they're really rudimentary and covered in stickies - that's what "stickying" is for, making important information stand out.

So yeah, sounding like a broken record here, but browse through the stickies, then search, then ask. [smilie=icon_wink.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:28 pm

I have added a search smiley, to be used by everyone and anyone who feels like it, for when a poster
is being rather lazy in asking for something that is already on the forum and easily found, to try and get
away from the way things are going recently ... remember [smiley-search] then ask if you cant find what
you're after ! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

For example: [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

Attachments
gestapo.png

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Interesting Search subject in that attachment there, Boss. Too bad there's no tongue-in-cheek smiley! I guess you could have used the "winker".

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)