JVM Forum

All about Marshall's JVM Series

Please help us with the forum running costs
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:39 am
Google Search the forum ... note that google has to index stuff before it shows up in the search, so it will not instantly show results for new posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Long story short - I was looking for a new amp. I tested virtually all the amps at GC and SG from Orange County all the way to the Sunset. The only amp that really blew me away was the 410H 1/2 stack. [smilie-rock]

Well....I figured I don't need 100W and 4x12s since I just play at home and with some buddies here and there. So, I did what I thought was sensible - I bought the JVM205C....NOW I CAN'T GET THAT 410 out of my head!! Anyone had this problem!?

I want the 2 extra channels! If I return he 205C, should I get the 410C or the 410H with 2x12!?!

I live in a condo and don't want to have and problems with my neighbors and I don't want to go deaf to get a nice tone out of 100W. Advice please!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:55 pm 
World Tour

There is very little volume difference between the 50W and 100W amps and the JVM can get a good tone at low volume on either model.. In my experience, when I've settled for something because I didn't "need" the other, I've almost always regretted it... I've always wound up selling the first thing and ultimately getting what I wanted. What I've learned about buying gear over the years is this...there is no "NEED".... there is only "WANT"... my suggestion is to buy what you want and enjoy it rather than settling because " you don't need it" and then pining away for what you really want. I would go for the 410 head and 2x12 cabinet. This will give you the ultimate flexibility and even though you're doing the occasional jam now, once you've gotten hooked on the JVM, you will find yourself wanting to gig...

CAUTION: The author of this post is a known gear-addict and enabler..

Cabs: Marshall 1960A(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1960B(Vintage 30's), Marshall 1936(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1936(Scumback BlackBack BM75's), Marshall 1936(Scumback M75's), Marshall 1936(G12-65's)
Pedals: Wampler Plextortion, Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot Distortion, Fulltone OCD, TCE Corona Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, Dunlop CAE Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR/CAE Boost, MXR 10-Band EQ, TCE Flashback Delay, Sonic Research Tuner

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:04 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

HyFive578 wrote:
There is very little volume difference between the 50W and 100W amps and the JVM can get a good tone at low volume on either model.. In my experience, when I've settled for something because I didn't "need" the other, I've almost always regretted it... I've always wound up selling the first thing and ultimately getting what I wanted. What I've learned about buying gear over the years is this...there is no "NEED".... there is only "WANT"... my suggestion is to buy what you want and enjoy it rather than settling because " you don't need it" and then pining away for what you really want. I would go for the 410 head and 2x12 cabinet. This will give you the ultimate flexibility and even though you're doing the occasional jam now, once you've gotten hooked on the JVM, you will find yourself wanting to gig...

CAUTION: The author of this post is a known gear-addict and enabler..

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

I originally went with a 215C but now have a 410H... 'nuff said.

Control: FAMC LF+ 12+ MIDI Foot Controller
Effects: Fulltone Octafuzz - Fulltone SoulBender - Dunlop Wylde Wah - Dunlop Cry Baby Bass
Everything Else: Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky ST/HB - Martin SP Phosphor Bronze Mediums - Tortex .60mm/.73mm

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:17 am 
World Tour

Here, we're all bastards that will tell you to get the JVM410 for one reason or another. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Low volume isn't of any concern, the is one of those rare amps that can produce a great tone at low volumes. Though I must stress yet again that when you turn the amp up with those settings it might not sound so great, so if you plan on gigging/rehearsals, write down your low volume settings and tweak again for high level (sound perception changes with higher volume).

Combo or head is a thing of endless discussion and I prefer a head+cab, fistly because of tone (lows), secondly because you can use different speakers(cabs) easily, and lastly, combos like the 410C are heavy and IMO it's easier to transport two things than one big heavy thing.

GUITARS:
Explorer w/Nailbombs; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Ibanez RG370DX w/DiMarzios; Squier Classic Vibe Tele;
Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH in V1, V5/Chinese 12AX7 V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi mod)
MESA 2:90+TriAxis (TungSol V1, EH V2, JJ V4); Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Marshall MC212 cab w/G12T-75; Yamaha THR10
FX:
BOSS GT-6; Dunlop crybaby w/tb
OTHER STUFF:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:29 am 
World Tour

Jackie wrote:
... combos like the 410C are heavy ...

Ain't that the truth! I think my 410C comes in a whisper under 35 Kilos and man do you feel it, getting the amp in and out of the car - and that is without a flight case. The 410H weighs 22 kg by comparison but then a 4x12 speaker is about 35 Kg also. A 2x12 would be lighter.

Last edited by jimsreynolds on Fri May 18, 2012 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:21 am 
Private Parties

I originally bought a 205 combo, mainly because there was a fantastic deal on one. As far as combo's go, I like them so that was a no brainer. After owning the 205 for a couple of months I started to become seriously distracted thinking about the extra 2 channels I was missing. 6 months later I sold the 205 and bought a 410 combo. Luckily I made money on the sale of the 205. If you're already thinking about the extra 2 channels I would suggest save yourself the trouble and get the 410. The combo IS HEAVY. But I have no regrets, I like combo's. If I need more speaker power I have it. The JVM is a very inspiring low volume amp. Funny I use it more as a practice amp at home than I do when I play out.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:22 pm 
World Tour

Great posts by everyone. I would vote for the 410 head as well, and for all the reasons mentioned - versatility with different cabs, easier to move two lighter things than one really heavy one, and of course the inherent versatility of the 410 itself. One other thing to consider - you mentioned liking the half-stack. Don't end up with "cabinet envy" by getting a 2x12 if a 4x12 is what you really want (not "need," as Hy pointed out). Otherwise, we'll be doing this thread all over again.

DH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Pub Band

I've owned both the 205C and the 410C, and I did not notice an appreciable volume difference between the two. The Master volume controls allow you to get that cranked tube amp tone out of your channel gain/volume without a lot of actual volume, so it won't be a problem in a small place. If you really want those extra two channels, go for the 410. I agree with HyFive that the 410H will give you the extra flexibility for swapping kinds of speakers, though the 410C does sound wonderful as is.

Guitar to Amp Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; TC Electronic Polytune; Electro Harmonix POG2; Analog Man Sun Lion; Dunlop Cry Baby Classic; Analog Man Juicer; Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano; Dunlop DVP1
FX Loop Pedals: Loop Master Switcher; Electro Harmonix Neo Mistress; Analog Man Chorus; Catalinbread Semaphore; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:47 am 
Administrator

Dwk302 you still got any doubts man ??? [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:40 am 
Private Parties

Go out gwasshppha....... be one wiz da amp........da quest is yours......

1990 Marshall JCM900 A Cab w G12M 25w
1990 Marshall JCM900 B Cab
2010 Traynor 2w/12w DH15 DarkHorse Head and 1 x12 cab w G12M
2011 Gibson LesPaul Traditional - Black
1976 Gibson LesPaul Custom - Natural
2001 Am Fender Strat-Wilkenson Trem
1984 Washburn G-IV
1992 Lt-ed Ovation Acoustic
2010 Epiphone Sheraton II
And a collection of other crap...
On Facebook search for "Wheelerdealerrocks" Im the heavier guy with glasses and the Hat.. stage L

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:13 pm 
World Tour

yup I agree with what everyone said.

Here is a quote from you "The only amp that really blew me away was the 410H 1/2 stack." ...and then after all that you got something different lol! funny how common that mistake is.

There are alot of reasons why the combo or 2x12 will sound different... but whatever... you liked the 1/2stack so get it. It will work and sound great at low volumes and when you go out to jam...yeah. get what you like and then you will like what you get

and eta power distrobution. no gates...Kick it out!~~~~~~~~S.D.M.F.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 pm 
Private Parties

I am probably in the minority here but I went with the 205H 50 watt head. I absolutely love it and even though it "only" has two channels (6 if you count green/orange/red for each), I am able to get great tone out of the head.

One of the reasons I bought the head, and the lower wattage, was because to my ear, I could not hear a difference between it and the 100W version. In fact, my 50W head screams even at about 11 o'clock. It has more than enough headroom for my purposes.

Of course, the money "I saved" by buying the 50 watt head quickly "justified" me buying two 4x12 cabs. I keep one at home and one at my practice space. That makes life so much easier; I just have to transport the head. So yes, I "saved" money and that is my story with my wife. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Matt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:03 am 
Private Parties

I got a 210H and a 4X12. I play only at home. I don't feel I need the extra channels as the ones I have suit my needs. Clean for true F type tones and The Gain channel for 95% of everything else. Using the volume knob this amp can go from clean with a little hair to soaring leads. I had a TSL prior and only used two of the channels so I knew this would be perfect for me.

You probalby are also hearing the difference a 4X12 makes. Once you hear that its hard to go back to a combo.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 am 
World Tour

If it's bugging you and going to keep bugging you, get the 410. I bought the 205H, and did so for a couple reasons. Mainly, it was the price tag. But I also didn't want to worry about 4 power tubes and only had a 50W 2x12 cab (now I know you can pull two, but didn't know that then). Plus I thought the JVM2 pretty much covered the tones I wanted.

In retrospect, I know now the OD channel is really OD2 from the 410, not the OD1, but that's pretty easily modified. Also, I think I would enjoy the additional Clean and Crunch modes...not to mention I think Clean Green on the 410 is probably slightly more "Fendery" than on the 205.

BUT, having said all that, I really like my 205H and only rarely find myself wishing I had the 410. Here in the coming months, as I near the end of the warranty period, I'll perform a few mods that I think will take the amp a couple of steps closer to my ultimate Marshall!

Though, I keep thinking I may pick up a used 410 someday if I find a really sweet deal on one...then I'll do all of Casey's mods on it!! [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

I will also say that doing Charlotte's mod to make the 4-button footswitch into a 6-button footswitch has helped me get past the 6-button footswitch envy!

Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio with DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge and Virtual PAF Neck <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 pm 
World Tour

brianc wrote:

You probalby are also hearing the difference a 4X12 makes. Once you hear that its hard to go back to a combo.

No doubt about that

and eta power distrobution. no gates...Kick it out!~~~~~~~~S.D.M.F.