How I ended up with a 410 H Bit rambling - sorry!

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jim
Beginner
Beginner

How I ended up with a 410 H Bit rambling - sorry!

Post by Jim » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:18 am

Hi,
Jim from the Isle of Wight here with a few musings on my jvm 410h and what led me to it. I started playing guitar aged about 11 with an “Eros” Les Paul Custom copy, for no other reason than Marc Bolan had been pictured with a Les Paul Custom (One belonging to Ringo Starr I believe, Marc’s own Les Paul is well documented elsewhere) I got my Dad to build me an amp, which he did. My Father knew Jim Marshal when Marshall was in Hanwell and dad had a shop called Technical suppliers Limited in the Goldhawk Road, Shepherds Bush and used to do the odd repair and occasionally supply valves to Marshall in Hanwell. RIP to both of them.
That old amp Dad built me lasted for years, even when I started playing bass…Then I got a job! I had started to listen to a bit more music than just Mr. Bolan and I loved Thin Lizzy and Scott Gorham (I think it was) was using four Marshall 2104 50 watt combo amps linked together and my local music shop had one. I saved and saved and bought it. From that moment on until the last few months I stopped using any FX, just relying on the guitar and amp. I was using a K flying V with active pickups and an Aria RSX 70, again active. Then one day the amp died. I know now it was the transformer, but the shop I put it into frightened me with stories of how it would cost more than the amp was worth and gave me £50.00 for it…

I got a second-hand Orange stack but didn’t really get on with it and got a Silver Jubilee 2550 I x 12 Combo. Brilliant amp, although it went to Bletchley for repair several times...I was using that with my faithful K flying V and an ESP eclipse, but a pre lawsuit Tele shaped one in trans blue, including the fretboard. I used that for a good few years and then in the rehearsal studio they had a 2103 100 watt master volume 2 x 12 combo. I swapped the Jubilee for it there and then. I used that amp for about the last 10 years. I had graduated to a custom shop Les Paul Custom with burstbuckers, which was an absolutely classic combination with the Marshall. Then fate, as it so often does, stepped in, and I had a heart attack.
When I came out of Hospital, I sold my Les Paul and Marshall and most of the other guitars I had amassed and kept a flying V copy by a company called Tuscany, and a Gorgeous Ibanez Hollow Bodied AG96. I was convinced that I would be content to sit at home and strum away and I didn’t need the stress of a band and gigs…

I had a little Marshall MG10 and, great little thing that it is, didn’t quite do it, in the local paper was a Marshall MG50DFX for £90.00 so I got that and despite a lot of negativity about it, it is a great little amp and for the first time in 30 something years I started using the effects, just the delay to give a bit extra on solos, then I started jamming with a few guys using the Tuscany Flying V, then on E-bay I found an Oxblood Flying V Custom and bought it (1 of a handful….Oh goodness it is gorgeous!) then I was in my local music store actually thinking about a Marshall MA and he showed me the JVM, I was smitten in a way that made me feel like I was holding that Eros Les Paul trying to be Bolan. It made me feel 16 again! I bought it. I got a 1960A cab, a bossME25 multi FX and a line 6 digital transmitter, put a band together and gig just about every weekend…And thanks to working with two of the nicest guys I have ever met, there is no stress, we just enjoy what we do and have a good time doing it.

That amp is every amp I have ever owned or played through. We do some Santana – PRS and a Mesa Boogie with a Flying V and a Marshall? No problem! How about Bolan using a tele through an HH, er, that will be no problem then, how about sounding like ME and expressing myself, with my guitar and my amp? People who have known me for a long time say that my playing is greatly improved as if I have been inspired all over again! Even the other bands on the Island have complimented me on my guitar sound! It is doubly important as we are a three piece to get the right sound and I really do not understand some of the negative reviews of this amp that there have been, you just have to spend some time with it, and it will produce almost any basic amp sound that you want. I really have not felt it was sterile or brittle sounding, people who think that should have been at “The Tap” in Sandown last Saturday (30th June) it was certainly not sterile or brittle! It does the usual (In my experience) Marshall trick of sounding better and better as it gets hotter and hotter…

I use Clean, green with chorus and phase for my clean rhythms. For basic rock rhythm (Bad Company type sounds) I use crunch red, and most lead is OD1 Red with Delay, although I use it without FX for more modern rock rhythm, and OD2 red, master volume 2 for the BIG solos!
Clean (Green) with my Ibanez on the neck pick up is sooo George Benson and again with the Ibanez, clean Green and the acoustic sim on the ME25 and I can sit and play Cat Steven covers all night!
What an amp, I think this is the first series of a newer direction for Marshall and will rightly be regarded as a classic in its own right in the fullness of time.

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

Jim
Isle of Wight July 2012
]Lyrics: A waste of time between solos...

stuckusquo
Pub Band

Re: How I ended up with a 410 H Bit rambling - sorry!

Post by stuckusquo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 am

Hi Jim,

thanks for your Report. I'm happy with my 410H too. At the Time i'm also playing the rythm Stuff on Crunch Red....cutted through the Bandmix like a Knife throught warm Butter... [smiley-shreds]

For Lead i [smilie=headbang.gif] also use the Chrunch Red boostet by the TS808 absolutly brilliant.....

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:54 am

What a great story and I'm glad you shared it with us, Jim.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Sounds like the best therapy any doctor could order - enjoy life and have fun ! Thanks for the tale [smilie=headbang.gif]
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Jim
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 am

Thanks Guys

joebama80
Pub Band

Post by joebama80 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 am

Great story, Jim. Thanks for sharing. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:00 am

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

Really enjoyed reading that. I think that if an amp inspires you to play and be who you want to be as a musician, it's definitely the amp for you - glad you found yours! [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Jim
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks again guys,

Not only a great amp, but a great forum and great people to go with it!

This is certainly an amp which lets you express yourself!

Cheers.

Jim

Pedro
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Pedro » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 am

Hi Jim,
I have a TSL amp that needs to be repaired. It could be one of your father's. Do you have any info on them? It's a high stability amp. Quite attractive, 50's design.

Cheers
Peter

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm

"Jim" has not visited this site in well over a year. Perhaps you might get a response if you sent him a PM, though.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)