Sold my JVM & got an Axe-Fx

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

PRSCustom24
Garage Band

Sold my JVM & got an Axe-Fx

Post by PRSCustom24 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Hey guys - so after about a year of loving my JVM I ditched it and grabbed an Axe-Fx II XL.

I'm a 30 year tube amp user and never thought for a second that a modeler could come close, but the JVM OD Orange & Red models in the Axe sound even better than my real JVM did, and they never change (plus I can change speakers which I find makes more of a difference to your sound than tubes, eq's, cables or anything else).

What's amazing is that for the same price that I sold my 1/2 stack and effects, I picked up a full Axe-Fx system with an incredible Atomic CLR powered wedge.

Now I have nearly every amp and cabinet made at my fingertips: modded Marshall's, Friedman, Mesa, Vox and more.

Curious if anyone else here has tried the Axe-Fx and had the same reaction as me?

Let's try to go easy on the hating here too...

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.
:: My Gear ::
2008 PRS Custom 24
2013 Gibson Les Paul Alex Lifeson Axcess Custom Shop
2014 Starr Guitars Custom Shop SuperStrat
Marshall JVM-205H
Marshall 1960AV
Line 6 G55 Wireless
Sennheiser G3 IEM System with InEarz Custom Triple-driver IEM's
ISP Decimator ProRackG, 1984 Boss CE-2 Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, MXR EVH Flanger, VOX Time Machine Delay, Morley Tremonti Wah, TC PolyTune, VooDoo Pedal Power 2+, Custom Pedalboard by TempleAudio, George L cables

MacOSatch
Garage Band

Re: Sold my JVM & got an Axe-Fx

Post by MacOSatch » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:06 pm

I had Axe Ultra and II, sold both. IMHO about recorded sound quality of Axe vs JVM we can discuss. I am not very experienced in recording, so it was probably easier to record with the Axe. But playing live (especially rehearsals and small venues – I do not speak about big stages with in-ear and monitors with cabs in ISO-box) is another game. I did not like Axes at all. Real amp with guitar cab sounds and especially feels the best, second best IMHO is Kemper Powerhead with guitar cab (that I also use for some gigs now). Using monitors and/or FRFR is simply another playing experience (the same say Kemper- & FAS-boss :-)

Another very good recording solution – also for silent playing - is JVM + Torpedo. That is (with Kemper) IMHO the most realistic sound and feel in digital domain.

P.S. I am JVM JS player :-)

Mr_Moo
Club Circuit

Post by Mr_Moo » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 am

There's no doubt that Axe and Kemper are great pieces of kit. Obviously to use them to their potential requires spending some time tweaking, especially if you want to approach the organic nature of an analogue amp. But matters of feel and sound are personal taste.

I'd add one to the tool kit if I could afford (and justify), it.
Play it like it's the last time it'll ever be heard.

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:53 am

PRSCustom24 wrote:

Curious if anyone else here has tried the Axe-Fx and had the same reaction as me?

Posted with TapTalk for iPhone, please forgive the spelling errors.
Lots of folks here have had/tried the Axe FX units. A quick [smiley-search] will yield lots of opinions.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

gearjunkie
Private Parties

Post by gearjunkie » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:45 pm

I got one and although I didn't sell my JVM (yet) it's been packed up in its box for the last 2 years. I don't have any need to use anything else. To me "it's that good". You won't find much love on most specific "gear" forums for anything but the piece of gear that's featured. All these things are tools and what works for some doesn't work for others. The axe can be an extremely complicated piece of gear but the rewards are incredible. It's awesome for direct recording and through a power amp and cab it's an amazing experience. The only thing that bothers me about any piece of gear is the amount of people who weigh in on a lot of different forums about how (insert name here) piece of gear sucks but they've never tried it. Or anyone who turns on any piece of gear for 5 minutes and "it sucks" before they've given it a fair shake. The Axe fx II is really an amazing piece of gear. There's been various discussions of the axe fx here as well I can think of one off hand. Here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8430
Fractal Audio Axe FX II
Fractal Audio MFC 101
Matrix GT1000FX power amp
Marshall 1960BV
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez S5570Q Prestige
MusicMan Axis
La Patrie Classical
TC Electronic, Mission Engineering, and Tech21 pedals

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:05 pm

@OP: did you try a Kemper? Curious to know, because without having played through either a Kemper or an AxeFX, I think I would prefer the Kemper based on what I have read...
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

satch4u3
Pub Band

Post by satch4u3 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:10 pm

I currently use an AxeFx 2 live FOH with IEM all the time. If you are a tweaker you will be in paradise!

gezza
Private Parties

Post by gezza » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:50 am

Hey Guys,

I bought a kemper profile amp had it for about 6 months and sold it.

You know sound wise, it sounded like a Marshall, but there was a lot of tweaking to get the effects and the order right.
I took it to band practice and didn't tell anyone, no one could tell sound wise.
The foot controller was a Behringer and the wah was shit, just to name a few issues.

For me though the killer was this.
If i wanted to record, I would use it.

For Live! well - they recommend using a full Range PA Speaker.
And right there is the problem.
Having a PA Speaker firing up at me just didn't do it for me.
Some people like the PA Sound.
But it really doesn't sound like a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12.
I tried it with a 2 x 12 and there was way too much bottom end going on.

So much tweaking and too really be honest.
There wasn't a lot of difference between all the Heavy amps, they were all very similar.
Some were brighter or darker, blah, blah.

So I sold it and bought a JVM410JS and couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

Gezza.
JVM410HJS
Marshall 1936 - Loaded with Vintage 30's.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe FSR Ice Blue.
Fender USA Strat Plus.
Custom Made PRS and Strat.

jamme61
Private Parties

Post by jamme61 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:54 pm

gezza wrote:Hey Guys,

I bought a kemper profile amp had it for about 6 months and sold it.

You know sound wise, it sounded like a Marshall, but there was a lot of tweaking to get the effects and the order right.
I took it to band practice and didn't tell anyone, no one could tell sound wise.
The foot controller was a Behringer and the wah was shit, just to name a few issues.

For me though the killer was this.
If i wanted to record, I would use it.

For Live! well - they recommend using a full Range PA Speaker.
And right there is the problem.
Having a PA Speaker firing up at me just didn't do it for me.
Some people like the PA Sound.
But it really doesn't sound like a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12.
I tried it with a 2 x 12 and there was way too much bottom end going on.

So much tweaking and too really be honest.
There wasn't a lot of difference between all the Heavy amps, they were all very similar.
Some were brighter or darker, blah, blah.

So I sold it and bought a JVM410JS and couldn't be happier.

Cheers,

Gezza.
I had the kemper power head and ran it into my bogner 2x12 sounded good but I lasted about 4 months before I sold it. I went with the uno behringer footswitch thing too. I also thought all the heavy metal amps sounded very close- some didn't but most did. I also don't want to run a pa speaker at live gigs in a bar. There was also a weird thing that even though you would defeat the cab sim(turn it off) so you could run your regular guitar cab- if you went into the cab sim and changed it, it would change your sound, even though the cab sim was off- which meant, it never really was 100% off. That freaked me and I sold it. I think they're 90% there but that last 10% is a biggie and may never come for old classics like myself. IMHO [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie-rock] [smilie=banana_smiley.gif]
Jvm410h
Budda sd18
1966 Black face bassman head
Marshall 1974x
Marshall JMP 2204
Marshall studio 15
Bogner XTC classic

Casey_Butt
World Tour

Post by Casey_Butt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:36 pm

jamme61 wrote:...if you went into the cab sim and changed it, it would change your sound, even though the cab sim was off- which meant, it never really was 100% off.
I can understand this with many analogue cab emulators because the cab "sim" isn't just one simple circuit in one place - it's usually achieved with filters spread throughout the whole circuit, so you can't practically turn it off... it's an integral part of the overall design of the device. That's why the Sansamp style devices have no cab emulation bypass capabilities.

My guess with the digital modelling devices is that their models are based on the entire amp, through the speakers. They never actually plugged the output of the power amp directly into their samplers to model the raw power amp signal. So if they do have a "cab off" option, they're really only guessing at how the amp would sound without a cab, based on what they know about the response of typical cabs. So they "subtract" the cab from the full model to get the "cab off" setting - they don't actually model the amp directly without it's cab.
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ Fender Deluxe Reverb clone head
_ ADA MP-1, ART Power Plant, Tech 21 PSA-1
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)
_ Fender Pro 185 (rebuilt) - open back 2x12" with Jensen C12Ks

gearjunkie
Private Parties

Post by gearjunkie » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:46 pm

My guess with the digital modelling devices is that their models are based on the entire amp, through the speakers. They never actually plugged the output of the power amp directly into their samplers to model the raw power amp signal. So if they do have a "cab off" option, they're really only guessing at how the amp would sound without a cab, based on what they know about the response of typical cabs. So they "subtract" the cab from the full model to get the "cab off" setting - they don't actually model the amp directly without it's cab.
This is not correct at all with the Axe FX 2. Each part is modeled separately. Preamps and power amps are also separate and can be modified or disabled. And Cabinet IR's are completely stand alone.

I can't speak for the Kemper....
Fractal Audio Axe FX II
Fractal Audio MFC 101
Matrix GT1000FX power amp
Marshall 1960BV
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ibanez S5570Q Prestige
MusicMan Axis
La Patrie Classical
TC Electronic, Mission Engineering, and Tech21 pedals

Casey_Butt
World Tour

Post by Casey_Butt » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:36 pm

gearjunkie wrote:This is not correct at all with the Axe FX 2. Each part is modeled separately. Preamps and power amps are also separate and can be modified or disabled. And Cabinet IR's are completely stand alone.
That's how it should be done, IMO.
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)

Mr_Moo
Club Circuit

Post by Mr_Moo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 am

Well of course the Kemper isn't a modeller. It captures a picture of a whole system - from strings through to cab (and in fact the room and mic too, I suppose). Which is why the amps don't really sound quite right when you use a different guitar. Well, so I read on this very forum a while ago. I have no direct knowledge smilie=icon_lol.gif

Is it true? That's more or less what the Kemper sales material says, so probably. Anyway, point is, that puts the cab response buried in the system, just like an analogue cab simulator. So it's hard to see how that would get turned off, unless you captured the same rig minus the cab, and changed to that patch.
Play it like it's the last time it'll ever be heard.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 pm

That's a point about modelling vs real world - you can put your hands on cabs amps and controls , follow wires etc !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Casey_Butt
World Tour

Post by Casey_Butt » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:45 pm

...And there's always the issue of how realistic the model actually is. Every time I've torn into any model I've found obvious shortcomings in authenticity... despite how well hyped the manufacturer might have promoted the product.

I found the Axe-Fx cab emulations to be very "sophisticated"... but also somewhat exaggerated. Which is something many modellers seem to do - exaggerate to clearly show up the differences in the settings, when the real things are often much more subtle and/or are the sum of other parts.