What do you guys use for your solo boost

Marshall JVM Discussion - topics that are not in any of the sub categories, please respect this to keep the forum well organised and so make it easier to find stuff you are interested in :-)

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

gezza
Private Parties

What do you guys use for your solo boost

Post by gezza » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Hey Guys,

I am just wondering what you guys use for your solo boost.
I use 2 pedals for this purpose, I have the BB Preamp in the front of the amp mixed with the MI Audio Boost and Buff in the efx loop.
So the BB Preamp just add a little more thickness and color but not much volume and the Boost-N-Buff kicks it up a gear for a volume boost.

Would love to hear what you guys use.

I think it sound great, but every now and then it gets a little thin, especially on the higher frets.

Cheers.

Gezza.
JVM410HJS
Marshall 1936 - Loaded with Vintage 30's.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe FSR Ice Blue.
Fender USA Strat Plus.
Custom Made PRS and Strat.

Ivanock
Private Parties

Re: What do you guys use for your solo boost

Post by Ivanock » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Mxr line boost, front of the amp. That's it.

Incredible sound. Really happy with it.
Marshall JVM 410h: Negative Feedback Mod, 1uf Plexi Cap, Gain Reduction Mod, Compression Reduction Mod, PI Boost Mod, Plexi 1959 Mod (Crunch) and JCM800 Mod (OD1)
Marshall 1960av.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard: Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro, Gibson Tuners, Orange Drop Capacitors
Epiphone Firebird: Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro, Orange Drop Capacitors

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:23 am

My go-to boost to cut through is just a Joyo Vintage Overdrive (gain at 10:00, vol at 14:00, treble at 13:00), usually applied to the Crunch Orange or Red channel. Great TS clone and really snarls when you want it to.

I also use a T-Rex Moller regularly, sometimes just the clean boost and sometimes with the drive set high but mixed about 70% clean. Gives a nice edge while preserving the core tone of the guitar and amp. A good one for tweaking up the gain a bit or increasing the cut in a band mix.

The last one on the board I use regularly is an MXR 78 Badass Distortion with the gain set very high. I use this for sustaining lead and compressed rhythm, usually atop crunch green.

I just got (and am really enjoying ) a TC MojoMojo which is a really warm bluesy boost and recently came down to £36 in the UK which is a steal. I find it works well for low/mid-gain, classy sounding lead work that maintains the guitar's tone well. It shaves the harshness out of bridge pickups that are too bright when overdriven. Not one for metal tones but great for chart through Classic Rock with a heavy emphasis on blues. Recommended. No room on the board for it at the moment though [smilie=icon_sad.gif]

Oh and my gigbag standard for Jamming is an MXR Modified Overdrive which is versatile and lets you get a decent lead out of most amp and guitar combinations with a little tweaking.
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:56 am

I don't understand why anyone needs a transistorised "boost" with an all-valve multi-channel amp!

I use Crunch and OD1 for Rhythm, and OD2 with a higher volume for lead. That's all the boost I need!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:06 pm

Spacerocker wrote: I don't understand why anyone needs a transistorised "boost" with an all-valve multi-channel amp!
Tone dear, tone! [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

Despite all the intrinsic wonderfulness of valves, there are certain tones that solid state does and tubes don't. For my basic platform tone, I want tubes: no question. I have played lots of decent fully solid state amps but have never found one that doesn't sound essentially a little cold.

However, at the guitar end there are plenty of pedals that shape the tone in a pleasing way. Perhaps if I invested in a top notch amp collection I could get all those tones that I want in tubes alone but to what end? I like the tones I get off those pedals and they sound 'musical' to me. Aside from boosts, the Joyo AC Tone on my board is my all-out favourite platform pedal and has been on board consistently for the last two years (despite the bastard broken power jack and reliance on 9V batteries). Why? Cause it has a quality that I cannot get from the JVM alone ... a fantastic, harmonic-rich crunchy clean that really does sound like Class A to me ... (yeah, I know, emulating tubes [smilie-eyeroll] )..

I like apples AND I like bananas.
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

erpece
Club Circuit

Post by erpece » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:00 pm

It's not really just a boost, but I like my Keeley modded SD-1. Controls at noon, put in front of Crunch Red and you have a great solo/boost sound.
Amp: Marshall JVM410HJS (nov 2012 - present), JVM410H (apr 2007 - dec 2012)
Cab: 1960B with 2 Heritage G12M's and 2 G12T75's, Two Notes Torpedo Live (with home-made IR of my cab)
FX: Line6 Helix, Rocktron Banshee
Guitars: Warmoth Explorer (Bareknuckle Black Dog), Gibson Les Paul Classic (BK Black Dog), Ibanez 1979 Iceman (BK Rebel Yells), EBMM Axis (BK Rebel Yells), Custom PRS (BK Black Dog) and a few more

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:11 am

Uh, MV2.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Green Manalishi
Private Parties

Post by Green Manalishi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:53 am

Yeah. A big f'n duh. MV2 two or a dedicated channel. That's one of the reasons I got a JVM.
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960B Celestion Golds
Vox AC30HW2
Gibson Les Paul Traditonal Plus
Gretsch G6120SSLVO
PRS McCarty
Fender '52 AVRI Telecaster

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:54 am

Green Manalishi wrote:Yeah. A big f'n duh. MV2 two or a dedicated channel. That's one of the reasons I got a JVM.
Yep - that is by far the main reason I changed from my trusted 2203 to the JVM!.....
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:36 pm

Another Joyo Vintage Overdrive lover here, once upon a time I bought more than 10 Joyos, this is the only one I will not replace for any fancy pedal. I'm thinking about grabbing a Bb Preamp nevertheless :) just to expand the tonal palette of the JVM

Enviado desde mi D6503 mediante Tapatalk
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Left Cutt
Garage Band

Post by Left Cutt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:02 pm

Set your master volumes and channel volumes right and like the others said, you won't need a boost.

The last few gigs I played, I went in with a snark tuner and the amp's pedal board. It felt great not having to mess with a board. My settings and the JVM offered enough varied tones to do me.

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:10 am

Left Cutt wrote:Set your master volumes and channel volumes right and like the others said, you won't need a boost.

The last few gigs I played, I went in with a snark tuner and the amp's pedal board. It felt great not having to mess with a board. My settings and the JVM offered enough varied tones to do me.
This is an awesome way to play a gig. I used to do it that way, but don't anymore. However, I sometimes think how cool it would be to go back to that method.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

gezza
Private Parties

Post by gezza » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:56 am

Hey Guys,

Great reply's.
I personally find that lead and rhythm should not be the same.
And to simply increase the volume does not give me the tone I want to solo with.
I guess it's all about tones.
I really love my JVM410JS Crunch Red, but to solo I have to add a few extra spices.
I find then adding gain changes the tone when boosted vs turning the volume up on V2.
Hitting a power chord sounds awesome, but start to play lead lines and it gets lost and sounds a bit thin, just my opinion.
So I boost my solo and then I want to thicken it up so It sounds fatter.
I have 4 Channels, but find myself on mainly the Crunch, it just sounds right.
Lately I have be experimenting the OD1 and OD2 and trying different modes.

Hey that's just me.

Gezza.
JVM410HJS
Marshall 1936 - Loaded with Vintage 30's.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe.
Fender USA Strat Deluxe FSR Ice Blue.
Fender USA Strat Plus.
Custom Made PRS and Strat.

Rockbustet69
Pub Band

Post by Rockbustet69 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:32 am

I use my volume pot of my guitar. I turn it back for rhythm sounds about 10-20%. Little less gain little less hights. Adjust the amp sound to that setting and on leads dial in the full volume.I also use a keeley red dirt overdrive which I use more like a clean boost which I have on all time. Brings the jvm alive no mods needed for me. [smilie=headbang.gif]
http://www.schmerzzlos.net
Guitars: Duesenberg 49er outlaw/ Duesenberg 49er black/ Duesenberg Starplayer TV/ Duesenberg Dragster
Amps: JVM205C/ JVM 205h / 4X12 1960B/ 2X12 TT Rex CAB
FX: G-Lab GSC3/ Keeley Red Dirt/ Keeley White Sands/ Ibanez CS-9/ Ibanez FL-9/ Strymon El Cap/ Voodoo Lab 4X4/ Keeley Nova Qah, Keeley Katana Boost

Mats A
Club Circuit

Post by Mats A » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:18 pm

I have a pedal with a volume pot that my brother built. I put it in the fx loop and have it on and lower the volume. Then when i want a volume boost i just turn it off. If you boost or unboost in front of a distorted amp you just get more or less distortion.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk