Honest question about playing sober vs not..

A place to introduce yourself and for FRIENDLY discussion and chat.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

mohi
Club Circuit

Re: Honest question about playing sober vs not..

Post by mohi » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 am

I used to drink a beer before getting on stage, kind of relaxed me, but more than that was not good at all and for me meant a lack of respect to the audience. Now as a bedroom player I feel even one beer lowers my accuracy and as I play alone, it's clearly noticeable.
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

ALrock
Club Circuit

Post by ALrock » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:33 pm

mohi wrote:I used to drink a beer before getting on stage, kind of relaxed me, but more than that was not good at all and for me meant a lack of respect to the audience. Now as a bedroom player I feel even one beer lowers my accuracy and as I play alone, it's clearly noticeable.

that sounds like a tolerance issue..just say`n if you rarely drink, and/or typically feel fairly buzzed off one beer. then i can see that being the case..but to some people who drink more often and have built up more of a tolerance, a couple beers only relaxes them a bit rather then screw up their playing..

I have drank too much to play worth a dang by the end of the night while messing around in my basement, quite a few times actually, but at that point, it really did`nt matter because more then likely one of the other players had done the same, if not worse..LOL

if we were playing a gig, no way in HECK would i get "drunk" at all! (not on purpose anyway..LOL), But I would certainly get buzzed though on purpose, other wise, I`d be a mechanical (in a bad way) emotionless lame player...
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL

Jshannon3
Pub Band

Post by Jshannon3 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Having a few beers(drinks)and being wasted is two different dimensions. It’s cool to have a couple to loosen up, get your groove on, but if you take it to over the edge drunkenness, your making a big mistake. Your motor skills get all f*^ked up and you think your playing better in all actuality your not. You see those VH1 reality shows where it shows the rock star all messed up on stage, dazed and confused, drunk and high out of his mind, not being able to perform. Dave Mustaine is a good example of a rock star who never missed a show no matter how high, or hungover he was. He said and I quote “I’ve never missed a show due to drunkenness or a hangover “unquote. And Dave was into everything. So don’t think you can get all tore up and get up there and play perfectly, chances are you won’t. Have a few, chill out, smoke a doobie, get the vibe of the show, you’ll have a much better time, than being wasted. Your audience will appreciate that.
Jim Shannon
jshannon3@yahoo.com
ESP E2 M2 Urban Camo guitars (2)
Marshall JVM410H
Marshall MX412A/B Cabs
Marshall Code 50
Boss effects pedals

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:02 pm

Drunk, sober, I suck awesomely either way.
My gear list? Do a search.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:50 pm

drinking and playing is like practicing being a bad player, you get used to playing worse
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........