BattleX

The place to strut your JVM powered songs and gigs

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jackie
World Tour

Re: BattleX

Post by Jackie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 am

Thanks jim!

Here's another one, these dudes really take their time delivering the audio [smilie=icon_confused.gif]

To hear my homemade explorer w/BKP Nailbombs>TriAxis/2:90>Marshall 1960AV rig pan hard right, to hear our other guitarist's Jackson SL2H w/Dimebucker->MXR GT-OD->ENGL Powerball v1>Marshall 1960AV rig, pan hard left. The effect may be less pronounced because the panning is not 100-100 IIRC.

BattleX - Raise Hell (live)

I still need to brush up on my vocals a lot from what I hear in these videos. I realized I maybe have to tone down stage antics just a bit so I have more air going into the verses/choruses etc. and let it loose when there's more instrumental going on.

We're hitting the studio in mid-August to record two more songs so stay tuned! [eating_popcorn]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:21 am

Yesterday, we left the studio without the wall that was unfortunate enough to face our cabinet. The deed is done and the raw tracks are in the chewing process. Lets just say we had a lot of fun and I'll leave the rest for you to decide when the finished smoking product rolls in [smilie=banana_smiley.gif]
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
FX:
MISC:

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:55 pm

And when do you expect to have something ready to listen? any recording with the JVM?
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:46 pm

We have some video and I am toying around with the 2.5hrs we shot and I'll put together a making of vid, and our guitarist will snap together a quick teaser vid hopefully next week. You can hear the guitars quite nicely.

As for the songs, it's hard to tell, we had almost 3GB of tracks (for two songs!) and our drummer has to mix them up and master them, trouble is I think he still has a couple of exams left to finish his SAE degree. I can't really say, it might take a while.
mohi wrote:any recording with the JVM?

You bet your ass! All my rhythm guitars on one song plus the main solo of that song. Also used a boost pedal for the first time ever, and I used my home-made Explorer with Nailbombs. I went full oldschool. Let me just post these amp settings so you can get a feel [smiley_twisted]
cr_mv.jpg
Master settings - left rhythm guitar
cr_eq.jpg
Crunch RED channel EQ - left rhythm guitar
cr_mxr.jpg
MXR GT-OD settings - left rhythm guitar
od1_mv.jpg
Master settings - main lead guitar
od1_eq.jpg
OD1 Orange channel EQ settings - main lead guitar
od1_mxr.jpg
MXR GT-OD settings - main lead guitar
Needless to say it sounds MAMMOTH! [smilie=headbang.gif]
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:23 pm

I love seeing the Master Volume on 11 [smilie=headbang.gif] I haven't dared go there yet
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:49 pm

Sadly, the song we recorded using this tone was way recorded too slow (too slow to speed up later) and we're going to have to do it again. Nevertheless, here's a "Making of" video we shot. Parts of it are in English, most in Slovene, sorry I don't have subs.

Enjoy [smilie=headbang.gif]
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Jackie wrote:Sadly, the song we recorded using this tone was way recorded too slow (too slow to speed up later) and we're going to have to do it again...
that blows... I love recording but it takes so much effort. I had that happen too where once we were done recording we listened back to it and we're all like "what the f%^&%&%&... it's too slow [smiley-facepalm] " it's easy to miss when you are focusing on all the details.

Very cool video though... and very cool song [smilie=headbang.gif]
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:55 pm

We found a way to speed it up with no distorting or tone loss after all. So here it is, our Break Your Bones demo! Enjoy! [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie=headbang.gif]

BattleX - Break Your Bones (DEMO)

Ah, the glory of a JVM on 11 [smiley_twisted]
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:41 pm

[smilie=headbang.gif] [smilie-rock] kick ass

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:58 am

J-Man, that's your best stuff yet, Bro. Kickin' ass on the wild side!

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 am

Thanks guys!

Any comments on the tone and overall mix are welcome. Our drummer has now completed year one of his SAE studies and he mixed the song so he'd be happy to hear some criticism too. No need for pretty wrapping, just let 'em rip icon_smile
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Jackie wrote:Thanks guys!

Any comments on the tone and overall mix are welcome. Our drummer has now completed year one of his SAE studies and he mixed the song so he'd be happy to hear some criticism too. No need for pretty wrapping, just let 'em rip icon_smile
well, I really think you guys did a kick ass job on this. I'm just knit picking here and nothing I'm about to say is actually a problem.

- The guitars rock... nice and raw sounding, great EQ and they sit really well with the other instruments/vox. However, the guitar solo needs be a touch more in your face so that you can break some bones.
- The vox could be a touch louder but EQ, FX on it are great.
- The kick drum does not have a lot of subwoofer action going on which normally I would complain about but with your song it works really well... it gives it an authentic early 90's feel, which is perfect for that Thrash-Metal sound
- the bass is there but only if you look for it... I think a touch of distortion/OD/crunch on the bass track would help push it a little more to the forefront without overpowering or competing with anything else. If the bassist is one of those purist guys that does not want to dirty up his sound try some heavy compression but then you run the risk of overpowering the kick... easiest thing to do (when I worked in a studio) was to not tell the bassist that I was dirtying up his sound (most of the time they won't know but think "it must be coming from the guitar" and "it's funny how well the bass and the guitar interact")

all in all, as I said earlier, none of what I just mentioned was a big deal and I would almost suggest to leave it as is (otherwise you run the risk of entering the realm of the never-ending mix) or spend no more than one hour on it. If an hour of adjusting doesn't improve your current mix then the mix is about as good as you can get it (it'll only sound different from that point on).

Tell your drummer and the rest of your band you guys did a fantastic job. Cheers, have a beer, blast the song and enjoy... well done.

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 am

Tonemeister wrote:- The guitars rock... nice and raw sounding, great EQ and they sit really well with the other instruments/vox. However, the guitar solo needs be a touch more in your face so that you can break some bones.
If you're the one playing it, the solo is never loud enough smilie=icon_lol.gif Yeah it could be a bit more out there but we had a nice cutting tone and I guess our drummer didn't want it to be obnoxious.

Thanks for the compliment though. It's always a good feeling knowing that I've invested time, money and energy into my tone and all 3 investments paid off [smilie=banana_smiley.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:- The vox could be a touch louder but EQ, FX on it are great.
I find my vocal style is terrible for mixing. It blends too much with distorted guitars and I am being serious 100%. Glad you like the EQ and FX because it was a fukin pain to do.
Tonemeister wrote:- The kick drum does not have a lot of subwoofer action going on which normally I would complain about but with your song it works really well... it gives it an authentic early 90's feel, which is perfect for that Thrash-Metal sound
I hate subby kick drums and I'm really picky about kick drum sounds in particular. This song was tough for our drummer to mix because he's used to more modern mixes and again I'm glad that his effort paid off, he nearly lost his mind with the kick.
Tonemeister wrote:- the bass is there but only if you look for it... I think a touch of distortion/OD/crunch on the bass track would help push it a little more to the forefront without overpowering or competing with anything else. If the bassist is one of those purist guys that does not want to dirty up his sound try some heavy compression but then you run the risk of overpowering the kick... easiest thing to do (when I worked in a studio) was to not tell the bassist that I was dirtying up his sound (most of the time they won't know but think "it must be coming from the guitar" and "it's funny how well the bass and the guitar interact")
The bass is a pet peeves of mine and our drummer's. We just can't seem to find a bass tone that would sit well in a mix. Our bassist is a great player and he knows what he wants, also no stranger to bass drive, but somehow the bass always seems to get lost. I'm not one of those stereotypical metalheads that think "fuck it it's bass no one cares", the bass guitar is every bit as important as everything else so it pisses me off that it gets shunted back in the songs. Sadly this has been a trend in metal lately and while I hate to be one of "those" bands, it seems that's how it happens [smilie=icon_sad.gif] I always suggest "add more low mids" or "add more mids" but then it either sounds honky or as you said, overpowering. We'll get it right for the album though, I know we will.
Tonemeister wrote:all in all, as I said earlier, none of what I just mentioned was a big deal and I would almost suggest to leave it as is (otherwise you run the risk of entering the realm of the never-ending mix) or spend no more than one hour on it. If an hour of adjusting doesn't improve your current mix then the mix is about as good as you can get it (it'll only sound different from that point on).

Tell your drummer and the rest of your band you guys did a fantastic job. Cheers, have a beer, blast the song and enjoy... well done.
Thanks man, we've been doing plenty of that [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Yeah! very powerful man, like specially the guitar tones, the solo one is the JVM? I lke it a lot

nice work!
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks mohi!

Yeah the left rhythm track and solo is JVM, the right rhythm track and break melody is ENGL Powerball.

Glad you like it! [smilie=headbang.gif]

We'd really appreciate it if this song gets liked, shared etc. on your preferred social network [smilie-rock]
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC: