My band first recording

The place to strut your JVM powered songs and gigs

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

mohi
Club Circuit

My band first recording

Post by mohi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Well, home made, almost exclusively using plugins and VSTs .... no JVM .... yet, all feedback is welcome! [smilie=headbang.gif]

https://soundcloud.com/sergio-orihuela- ... arture-ftl
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Tonemeister
World Tour

Re: My band first recording

Post by Tonemeister » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:28 pm

awesome song... great guitar solo.

Feedback: the vocals are too loud and the guitars not loud enough... imagine that coming from a guitarist smilie=icon_lol.gif seriously though, I think the vox should be pulled back a touch and the guitar could use a little (not much) boost. Other then that I loved it.

Are you guys planning on replacing the guitar tracks with the JVM at some point?
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:38 am

Thanks for the feedback man!

The volumes affair has been hanging around during all the mixing process, I perhaps would have lowered the voice a bit but the band decided to leave it like it is, for demo purposes it is not that bad.

We will record at some time using real amps, for sure, likely and luckily my JVM and the other guy's Laney Ironheart.

thanks again!
Marshall JVM410C: TAD HPS V1, TAD PS V2, TAD Std V3, EH V4, Mods: Plexi Cap, Choke, K77
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

NoWayBackRock
Private Parties

Post by NoWayBackRock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi David,

Fabulous song!...I love it. The plug-ins sound great by the way. One day from release and you have 269 plays [smiley-surprised] ? [smilie=banana_smiley.gif]

Best,
Marcelo
http://www.wyblack.com
Guitars: ESP Eclipse II (now with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz, originally EMG 81/60), Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/Jazz), Schecter C1 Blackjack with SD Blackouts.
Amps: Marshall JVM 410H (EH in V1 and V2, bias 63mv), Mesa Boogie Mark V (stock), 2010 Mesa Dual Rectifier ("reborn", stock).
Cabs: Marshall 1960 BV (V30s) / Custom, super stiff 2x12 with Mesa V30s.
Effects: TC Electronics G Sharp - BB Preamp - Fulltone Wah - Maxon OD808 - Line 6 Pod HD500 (in the loop, noise control and delay).

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:59 pm

mohi wrote:...We will record at some time using real amps, for sure, likely and luckily my JVM and the other guy's Laney Ironheart.
awesome... can't wait to hear that combination of amps. Great job guys.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Thanks again folks! We're promoting it on Facebook quite heavily hence the figures, second track on the oven we hope it has the same good reception!
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:33 am

Mohi, I really liked this! Very good job all the way around. I hear what Tonemeister is saying about the vox. I almost think a different reverb (and more of it), perhaps combined with a little more compression, would smooth them out without the need for lowering them in the mix. But I agree that they seem to sit a little too strong in the overall mix. The singer has a nice voice, though! That's a huge plus in your favor.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:38 am

Great song and solo, top notch playing [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Amazing what you can do with VSTs these days, great guitar tones.

I don't dig the clicky kick drum though, but I'm really picky when it comes to kick drum sounds and I know you can only do so much with samples (I'm assuming the drums were sampled?).

Also, as others have pointed out, the vocals stick out too much. The problem might not be, as DH said, the volume itself, but the sound and dynamic range. It sounds as if the singer was "separated" from the band. This is a kind of stupid remark to make since tracking is done one-by-one, but what I mean is that to me it doesn't feel part of the mix.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:33 am

Dark Horse wrote:Mohi, I really liked this! Very good job all the way around. I hear what Tonemeister is saying about the vox. I almost think a different reverb (and more of it), perhaps combined with a little more compression, would smooth them out without the need for lowering them in the mix. But I agree that they seem to sit a little too strong in the overall mix. The singer has a nice voice, though! That's a huge plus in your favor.

DH
I agree, too strong and somehow "processed", the guy that mixed it (the other guitarist) is just learning but is very capable, surely will improve it on the next tune.

thanks a lot for the kind words!
Jackie wrote:Great song and solo, top notch playing [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Amazing what you can do with VSTs these days, great guitar tones.

I don't dig the clicky kick drum though, but I'm really picky when it comes to kick drum sounds and I know you can only do so much with samples (I'm assuming the drums were sampled?).

Also, as others have pointed out, the vocals stick out too much. The problem might not be, as DH said, the volume itself, but the sound and dynamic range. It sounds as if the singer was "separated" from the band. This is a kind of stupid remark to make since tracking is done one-by-one, but what I mean is that to me it doesn't feel part of the mix.
Thanks man, the drums are Superior Drummer, there was some controvery with the drummer about the mix but is somehow like the voice, it will take us some learning to improve it.

Thanks also for the feedback, really appreciated
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:00 am

Jackie's right about the clicky kick drums. It stands out during the double-bass licks. But, who pays attention to drummers anyway (unless they really screw up)?
smilie=icon_lol.gif

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 pm

Brutal !

Which plugins etc did you use and which DAW ? Great quality [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Mixing is an art and the tendancy is to make everything louder than everything else, i find it useful to walk out of the room and listen to it from outside , like going to the loo at a gig, all sorts of stuff is noticeable.

At 5:12 you could put a slightly longer break in for more effect/surprise.
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks Andy! we used LePou plugins for all amp stuff and superior drummer for the rest, I think there is some vocal processing too but was the least successful of them by far. DAW is Cubase. The guy that mixed it is quite new on it so I think he made a very nice job considering all circumstances.

I agree with you on the 5.12 break, actually we play it that way live, most of the times.

thanks again for the feedback!
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:07 pm

can you share us a link to a live vid of the track ?
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup

mohi
Club Circuit

Post by mohi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:26 am

Yep, but not very good audio quality, I'm afraid!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_PZGf6g7kM
Marshall YJM100
Marshall JCM800 1981

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:54 am

Great ! I'll have to come and see you play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk