Help in playing faster

The technical stuff. Scales, Modes, Intervals, etc.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Markm
Pub Band

Help in playing faster

Post by Markm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:26 pm

I am dedicating some of my practice time to one part of my playing that is really lacking.
I have a tough time playing fast licks, picking hand is more of the problem, I think, and want to get better at it.

If anyone wants to share tips/suggestions resources, that would be great!
Thanks
PRS Custom 24, Marshall JVM215C, ISP Decimator G, Philosophers Tone, Tremonti Wah, Carbon Copy Delay, Marshall Regenerator, Boss GE7, Nose Volume, Sennheiser Freeport Wireless System

S&M Freddy
Arena

Re: Help in playing faster

Post by S&M Freddy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:09 pm

I usually find out all sorts of techniques by learning other people's stuff...a lot of amazing stuff becomes much easier when you see how they do it! If you have some fast licks in mind I would search for Youtube video lessons and slowly work up to full speed.

I don't know anything about shredding...sounds like hours of working up and down scales with a metronome (not my thing...)!
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

HyFive578
World Tour

Post by HyFive578 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm

If you believe your picking hand is the problem, then you should isolate that for your practice routine. There's an exercise that I've used where you use only open strings. This way, you are taking the fretting hand out of the equation. Using a metronome (extremely important), play the following on the open high E string using strictly alternate picking: quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, triplets, quintuplets, sextuplets, starting at 60 bpm and raise the tempo by 10 bpm each cycle until it stops sounding clean. Start a chart and keep track of the highest BPM you achieve for each note grouping. Sounds boring right? It is!!! But, if you do this religiously a few times a week, I promise you that you're picking will improve and so will your speed. The idea here is that you have to be able to play open notes cleanly, otherwise, theres no way your fretted notes will be. Theres a lot of other things I could recommend, but you would be surprised how effective this very simple exercise is. Good luck. Let us know if this works for you.
Guitars: Gibson Les Paul R9 (Main guitar), and many more!!....
Amps: Marshall JVM410H(-fb,plexi cap, R72 compression mods), Marshall JCM800 2210, Blackstar HT Stage 60, EVH5150iii 50W
Cabs: Marshall 1960A(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1960B(Vintage 30's), Marshall 1936(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1936(Scumback BlackBack BM75's), Marshall 1936(Scumback M75's), Marshall 1936(G12-65's)
Pedals: Wampler Plextortion, Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot Distortion, Fulltone OCD, TCE Corona Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, Dunlop CAE Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR/CAE Boost, MXR 10-Band EQ, TCE Flashback Delay, Sonic Research Tuner

Rick O'Shea
Club Circuit

Post by Rick O'Shea » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:03 pm

+1, HyFive. Especially with respect to the diligent use of a metronome. You cannot play fast until you play steady.

String crossings are also important. If you do them poorly, it can be like hitting a speed bump, or worse, a brick wall in the middle of a lick. A basic way to address this is to practise the same string crossings using alternate and economy picking until both are perfect. Start with a major scale with the root on the G-string, so your fingering is: G - 1, 3; B 1, 2, 4; E 1, 3, 4. Ascend then descend the scale remembering to repeat the top note. If you use economy picking you have natural and fast string crossing, but you start the scale on an upstroke. If you use strictly alternate picking, starting with a downstroke, all of your string crossings require more effort and time. This is another stumbling block to speed. You can use a metronome to train your muscles to play either technique at tempo.

Additionally, a hard, thick pick requires less movement on the pick hand. If you are using a soft, bendy pick, you may be moving way to far with each stroke to pluck quickly.
Rick O'Shea
JVM410H EH12AT7 in V1
Diamond Halo Chorus, MXR CAE Wah, Decimator G-String
JCM900 1936 w/stock G12T75s
SG '61 Reissue, '83 B.C. Rich Eagle REG-2

Markm
Pub Band

Post by Markm » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Guys, just wanted to say thanks so much!
I will use all of the advice you guys have given.

At this point, I don't even mind some good old boring exercises as long as it gets me somewhere.

I play in a covers band and we have a good long song list and we aren't adding too many new songs at the moment, so I decided to dedicate my summer to becomming a better player, starting with some speed!

I have never, ever used a metrnome in my life.
I better go out and get one right away!

I knew I came to the right place for some good advice!
Thanks again!
PRS Custom 24, Marshall JVM215C, ISP Decimator G, Philosophers Tone, Tremonti Wah, Carbon Copy Delay, Marshall Regenerator, Boss GE7, Nose Volume, Sennheiser Freeport Wireless System

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:45 am

Until you get one, there's lots of free virtual metronomes available online (as long as your computer is where you practice.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

S&M Freddy
Arena

Post by S&M Freddy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:22 am

I have one of those neat Snark headstock tuners....that has a built in metronome as well....not they I use that function of course [smilie=icon_eek.gif]
Cornford RK100
Victory V30
Yamaha THR10
Big box 2x12 cabs with V30's and Celestion G12T-75's, 3x12 Projector cab with classic 80's
Music Man Axis, PRS Mira, Gibson Les Paul Standards ('98 and '00), Gibson Explorer Trad Pro, Gibson Classic DC, Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Graduate Slimline, Explorer, Breadwinner and Gypsy 1.5, Fernandes STJ75, 'Fredster' Telecaster
Nobels midi controller, Cry Baby Wah, Fulltone Deja Vibe, TS 808 clone, TC Dreamscape, TC Flashback, TC HOF, Line 6 M5 Stompbox Modeler in loop, Nobels Pre1 Boost

Markm
Pub Band

Post by Markm » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Wow there are millions of the metronomes out there.

I assume the tap tempo ones you have to set yourself?

Can anyone recommend a good one for this use for me?

Can't wait to get started!

HyFive578
World Tour

Post by HyFive578 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Markm wrote:Wow there are millions of the metronomes out there.

I assume the tap tempo ones you have to set yourself?

Can anyone recommend a good one for this use for me?

Can't wait to get started!
You don't have to get carried away on the metronome, in this case... less is more.. ..

Qwik Time QT-3 Quartz Metronome... It's $15 and will do the trick...
Amps: Marshall JVM410H(-fb,plexi cap, R72 compression mods), Marshall JCM800 2210, Blackstar HT Stage 60, EVH5150iii 50W
Cabs: Marshall 1960A(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1960B(Vintage 30's), Marshall 1936(G12M-65 Creambacks), Marshall 1936(Scumback BlackBack BM75's), Marshall 1936(Scumback M75's), Marshall 1936(G12-65's)
Pedals: Wampler Plextortion, Wampler Pinnacle, Suhr Riot Distortion, Fulltone OCD, TCE Corona Chorus, MXR EVH Phase 90, Dunlop CAE Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR/CAE Boost, MXR 10-Band EQ, TCE Flashback Delay, Sonic Research Tuner

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

If you have a smartphone you can probably download a free app. I have good one for my Android HTC handset along with a simple audio recorder and tuner too. I even have a four track :)

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:09 am

Agree on the smartphone metronome thing. The Mobile Metronome app is free and has tap tempo, different clicks, all kinds of time signatures to set etc.

Speed...build it up until it sounds clean, like others have said already. Interestingly, I think the most difficult thing when playing fast is ensuring the peripheral strings don't ring while you play.

If you have a particular song and you have an accurate tab for, GuitarPro has a great tool for that - it's a loop tool which has a "Speed Trainer" feature - you can set the lowest tempo and the highest tempo (in percent), then set the percentage increase after each loop. It's a really intense way of learning a fast run and you can get sloppy and carried away fast because the app plays with you and it might sound ok, but it's a very effective way if you have a little discipline. I learned the entire November Rain outro solo in about two hours, 2 and a half or so, so yeah, it works [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Markm
Pub Band

Post by Markm » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:54 am

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions and tips!

I do not have a smartphone (but I can text!)

Right now I am using one of those free online metronomes and am really starting to "get" what a great tool this is.

Looking forward to trying to add a little more speed here and there at band practice tonight!

HyFive578
World Tour

Post by HyFive578 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Jackie wrote:GuitarPro has a great tool for that - it's a loop tool which has a "Speed Trainer" feature
+1 [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] ... I use the GP Speed Trainer religiously... it's awesome...

Markm
Pub Band

Post by Markm » Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm

Hey guys
Been trying all of this great advice for several weeks now and its starting to pay off!
Just want to say thanks!

Since I have alway practiced with songs the challenge of doing scales and picking exercises has actually been quite fun for me. I really enjoy incorporating this into my practice time now.

CaptNasty
Beginner
Beginner

Post by CaptNasty » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 pm

I know this is a very old thread. I am posting this info not for the OP but for future readers who may land here through a Google search while researching this topic.

This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this topic and looking for ways to help players I coach/mentor through the speed mechanics hurdle. I think the traditional “Mel Bay” approach to learning guitar fails to address key points that result in players developing bad habits in their early, formative years that they must unlearn as they try to learn advanced/challenging techniques... such as playing fast.

All of the prior advice given to this point is accurate. Following this advice, working the techniques described into your practice regimen should over time allow you to increase your speed. As you do these exercises you will subconciously figure out the mechanics. A great number of players have use these traditional techniques and achieved great results, so the result cannot be argued with.

But can you expedite this process? Is there another path? I think that the answer to both is “yes”.

Think about playing fast. You are trying to fit more notes into a given time box.

While there a other techniques for achieving speed, there is a straight forward approach that can lead to rapid improvement in playing speed: make your movements smaller. If you move the fingers on your fret hand 4 mm off the string versus 1 mm off the string which do you think will result in faster play? The further you move, the more time it takes. Distance travelled == Time. More Distance == Longer Time. Longer time == slower.

The same logic applies to your pick hand: minimize your pick stroke and your pick hand speed will improve. If you find that smaller pick strokes leave you with lighter pick attack, change your pick. A thick pick will help. Additionally pick material plays a role, to solve this problem I moved to 1.44 mm Dunlop Primetone Sculpted Jazz IIIs. These picks have a very pronounced attack (and are very grippy).

Some finer points as your fine motor skills improve: use a light touch on the fretboard. Only apply as much pressure as needed to get notes to ring clearly. Applying pressure takes time too. With your pick hand, do not anchor! Be relaxed in both mind and body. You have to refine your frethand and pick hand synchronization too.

I find that this approach provides very concrete goals that can be precisely targeted in a practice regimen, thus yielding quicker results versus the speed drills approach to increasing playing speed. The traditional approach of playing something hundreds or even thousands of times until you subconciously work it all out will get you there, there are too many examples of where this has worked to deny it, but it is a brute force method. Relying on subconcious development of speed skills yields an unpredictable schedule of progression. Some people may even toil for years without it ever “clicking” for them.

Check out guys like Michael Angelo Batio. His fret hand looks like it flutters when he plays fast. Very small movements. He uses these techniques. Look at Van Halen, he has bigger movements. I have watched EVH pick hand mechanics and his movements are quite large, but he gets great speed from his pick hand so clearly there is some other mechanic that he is using. Again there are multiple techniques to get speed. The technique I have outlined here is a way to approach speed mechanics in a very targeted way that should yield reasonably quick results. It is finesse instead of brute force.

Once you start playing fast and get comfortable the most important thing will kick in: confidence. Confidence is a huge factor in what you can and cannot do.

Said another way: one path to playing fast on the guitar is about fine motor skills. Focus on minimizing your movements and using a light touch while playing.
USA Jackson Dinky DK1 Custom Shop (2018)
Ibanez JEM V7 WH - Japan (2005)
Suhr Modern Custom (2010)
Ibanez J Custom RG1502S - Japan (1998)
Fender American Standard 60th Anniversary Commemorative Stratocaster (2014)
Charvel Satchel Signature Pro Mod DK - Re-finished, OFR, Schaller tuners (2018)
USA Jackson SL2H (2015)
Jackson RR5 (2009)
Ovation Collectors Series (2007)
Marshall JVM 410 HJS - Stock (4CM)
Fractal Audio Axe FX III (4CM & FRFR)
Marshall 1960 TV (4CM)
XiTone Michael Britt Active 1x12 (FRFR)
Fractal Audio Systems FC-6
EBTech Hum Eliminator HE-8
Furman P-1800 AR
Furman P-1800 PF R