Green Day Tone

Share your favorite tone settings for classic & modern tones

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

johnpickk
Beginner
Beginner

Green Day Tone

Post by johnpickk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Hey guys, really sorry if this is in the wrong section, I'm new here lol...
Anyways, I'm hoping to get a JVM410H soon, and I LOVE the tone that Billie Joe Armstrong gets. He uses a 1959SLP with the 'Bradshaw Gain Mod'. This basically adds a bunch of gain. I'm hoping that with the JVM, I'd be able to get a very similar tone to his, I've attached a few clips of the tone from Billie's rig, and if you guys could record clips of you trying to replicate the tone of it, that would be awesome. Thanks! :-)

When I Come Around - (Tone 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz2J4glIs7Q
American Idiot - (Tone 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YZkKKuzJTo (it would be awesome if the crunchy intro could be done too!)
Welcome To Paradise - (Tone 3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVQW_Oj_sE
Waiting - (Tone 4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc1Uld0k4W4 (Clean tone at start)

Thanks to anyone who can help out in advance!

nato
Private Parties

Re: Green Day Tone

Post by nato » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Dude, go and try the amp for yourself before you buy one. Recorded sound vs actual sound can be quite different. And I'm sure the JVM will get you pretty close to any Green Day sound.
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

Landry
Garage Band

Post by Landry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm not much of a tone connoisseur, but I play a lot of Green Day songs on a 410h. To my ears it sounds close enough, but like the poster above said you should really go and check one out in person. You've got different cabinet choices also. I think mine says "1960 Vintage" on it. Celestion speakers I think. I use the OD1 Orange channel, with the gain between 9-10 o'clock fwiw.

Check one out. You'll dig it.

johnpickk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by johnpickk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'd love to try one out, and plan to before I get one, but I can't find one to try anywhere sadly.. There aren't many guitar stores where I live, but I'll keep a look out!

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Considering Billie Joe Dipshit's tone has changed over the years, the JVM is perfect to copy his sound. His early days sound had more gain and he used humbuckers. Lately his tone has cleaned up and he uses P90 guitars. That stuff matters. He' a "Marshall guy" though, so the JVM will do it. There's nothing particularly special about his sound. It sounds good but it's not so unique that it's imossible to achieve.
My gear list? Do a search.

Stinger
Private Parties

Post by Stinger » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:58 pm

A client of mine one time wanted a tone like Green Day. We did a bit of research and determined that Billie Joe uses Marshall heads with Vintage30 speakers. Like Greg says, since Billie Joe is a Marshall guy the JVM should get you pretty close but it will be really important to use the same speakers as they will shape the sound even more than the head.

Anyway, I just looked up the settings I had used for the client and did a quick recording using the settings (see attached file Welcome to Paradise). This recording has the following chain: Les Paul (pickup 498t) >> JVM OD1 Green (tone controls all pretty much at noon, presence and res both at 0) >> 4 x 12 marshall cabinet with Vintage 30 speakers >> Shure SM57 mic >> DAW with track eq as shown in the picture below. As someone else has mentioned this recorded tone will sound a fair bit different than the way the rig sounds in the room because of the impact that microphone and post eq have on the recorded tone. Cheers.

Untitled.jpg
Attachments
Welcome to Paradise.mp3
(146.94 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

johnpickk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by johnpickk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks so much!! this helps a lot, and yeah, I'm hoping to get a 2x12 V30 cabinet, will this be ok opposed to the 4x12's? I'm guessing it should!
Thanks again, this helps a lot! I'll be sure to check it out when I get home!

johnpickk
Beginner
Beginner

Post by johnpickk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:39 pm

Maan, that sounds near identical!! Nice job, and thank you!

Stinger
Private Parties

Post by Stinger » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:38 pm

You're very welcome. Yes a 2x12 cabinet should do fine. A bit more info on mic placement: The mic was centered on the speaker from top to bottom however from left to right the mic was moved off center a bit to where the dust cap meets the cone.

MichelPepper
Private Parties

Post by MichelPepper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:49 am

I got a very decent Green Day tone (think of Bullet in a Bible) with (JVM410H):
- Channel OD1 green, vol/gain/bass/treble at noon, mids 10:00
- Resonnance/presence at noon, reverb at 9:00, master vol at 10:00
- Gibson SG Standard, pup selector centered
- 1x12 custom open back cab (larger than standard) fitted with a WGS ET65 speaker