Getting Great Tone LIVE

Share your favorite tone settings for classic & modern tones

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Hard40sta
Beginner
Beginner

Getting Great Tone LIVE

Post by Hard40sta » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I have been playing for a long time. I have recently stepped up my game to play in three different bands (Blues, Old-School Metal, and 90s Rock). I have what I feel is a stellar bedroom sound...I truly love my tone. Live, however, I have begun to have issues. I haven't made major changes, per say...but I am playing larger venues. I am getting comments from sound guys that "It sounds like your amp is in a tunnel" or "I need you more forward in the mix...?" I played an outdoor festival this weekend and after making adjustments to my amp settings to satisfy the sound guy, I absolutely hated my stage sound. The other guys thought my amp sounded like bees through the in-ears and I have to agree. I know I run the risk of getting roasted on here but I need some guidance. I am willing to try anything to find "the sound" I hear in my head! Here is my setup:

Amp - JVM410H > Marshall 1960 4x12 Cab
Pedalboard -
Front - Tuner > Blues Driver > Wah > Lenny (Compressor)
Loop - Mimiq > NS-2 Suppressor > Dealy DD7 > Sonic Stomp BBE

Loop I always the same - All on with various settings; Presence and Resonance at 10-12 o'clock
My clean tone is not an issue - I use Clean Orange with the Driver engaged and roll the volume back on the guitar (Starts, Charvels/Jacksons);
90s - I use OD1 Green - Gain 10 o'clock
Metal - OD1 Orange - Gain 10 o'clock

Thoughts?

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: Getting Great Tone LIVE

Post by Greg_L » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Welcome to the JVM - the greatest 100w bedroom amp in history.

You are not alone in what you're experiencing from the JVM. It just has way too much shit going on and it all conspires to take away from the actual usefulness of the amp.

Couple things....

I have to wonder where your loop mix is set. If you're not full wet, or damn near full wet, you can get weird phase relationships with your loop effects and that sounds like being "in a tunnel". Pretty common with JVMs.

Also, where are your mids? Less treble and more mids are good for live use....especially if using a stock 1960 G12T-75 cab. You need to be forward in the mix? Get your mids up. Scooped mids are for Limp Bizkit cover bands and bedroom shredders.

Less resonance. You don't need all that mud when playing live.

A compressor is a total dynamics killer on a high gain amp. Get rid of it.

And lastly...get used to your louder live tone through rehearsals. What sounds good at low bedroom jamming levels doesn't usually transfer over to loud live playing with an actual band. Your tone is a piece of the puzzle, not the whole thing. Adjust your ears, adjust your mentality, and adjust your tone to work within the band's sound. If everyone is telling you it sounds bad, then it probably does. Take the necessary steps to fix it. Start with a clean slate and forget what you think you know.
My gear list? Do a search.

Hard40sta
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Hard40sta » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice.

As an old 80s Metal guy, scooping the Mids was our bread and butter! LOL I have brought them up to 12 o'clock in the past few weeks...More you think? I was also totally pushing more treb through the Sonic Stomp trying to get over the top...wrong approach I guess.

Loop mix is full on. I clearly had Resonance wrong...I was thinking that and Presence would pull me forward.

As for my Compressor...That one hurts. I can't remember the last time I played without compression, LOL.

Again, thanks for the tips. I switched from Modelers to tubes and got used to selecting "patches" rather than actually dialing in tones.

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 am

Hard40sta wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm
Thanks for the advice.

As an old 80s Metal guy, scooping the Mids was our bread and butter! LOL I have brought them up to 12 o'clock in the past few weeks...More you think? I was also totally pushing more treb through the Sonic Stomp trying to get over the top...wrong approach I guess.
Yes, totally wrong approach. For one, the Sonic Maximizer is a mid-scooper. Do you remember the "loudness" button on old stereos? It enhanced lows and highs. The Sonic Maximizer is like a loudness button for your amp. It enhances lows and highs....so what does that leave out? The mids. 12:00 on the mids is IMO near the minimum if you really want to cut through live. Those mids are where your punch is. Why are Tube Screamers so famous for leads? The mid hump. Their very nature bumps the mids and the tone cuts through without having to actually be louder. The lack of mids is your "in a tunnel" sound, and pushing the treble is your "can of bees" sound. It all adds up. Rethink your approach. Back in the day, a common EQ for JCM 800 users was the 666, or All-7s. Put all of the tone control knobs on 6 or 7 and rock out. 800s never had any problems cutting through. The JVM is obviously different, but some kind of simple baseline is a good place to start.
Loop mix is full on. I clearly had Resonance wrong...I was thinking that and Presence would pull me forward.
Presence is okay if you keep the Treble lower...but the Presence is global across the whole amp. Having your Presence up might sound great on one channel or way too bright on another. I usually keep my Presence around 4-5 and just leave it there. I don't even mess with it. But experiment. Just remember that you probably don't need as much treble as you might think....especially with the high gain modes. The Resonance is there to mimic the thump of a cab at lower volumes. It's basically a presence control for the low end. It's very good for getting bigger sound at quiet bedroom levels, but that's about all it's good for. You don't need any of it if you have the volume up a bit live. It's just mush.
As for my Compressor...That one hurts. I can't remember the last time I played without compression, LOL.
Ha. Well if you get the other stuff right you can probably keep using it.
Again, thanks for the tips. I switched from Modelers to tubes and got used to selecting "patches" rather than actually dialing in tones.
Yeah you just need to start from scratch. It's no big deal, you'll get there.
My gear list? Do a search.