Jubilee tones from a JVM?

Share your favorite tone settings for classic & modern tones

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

IronHayden
Beginner
Beginner

Jubilee tones from a JVM?

Post by IronHayden » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 pm

Is it possible? I messed with a 2555X and loved the tone thru the matching AV cab.

I have the 410H with 1960AV and BV cabs so the V30 thing is not a problem. Have any of you been able to dial in something similar? The fact that the Jub seems to have more low mids points me to OD2 but I haven’t had any luck....

Andy
Administrator

Re: Jubilee tones from a JVM?

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:47 pm

never heard of anyone saying they got jubilee tones but it would be cool if someone has done it with eq or mods ...
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Crunch Red, dime the mids, hit it with a Tube Screamer. I bet that sounds like a Jubilee.
My gear list? Do a search.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:38 pm

the Jub does have a slightly different tone stack than the average marshall , that & the clipping diodes
so it wouldn't even be practical to mod the JVM like Jub, the suggestion of a o/d pedal is reasonable
If someone had some kind of " tone print " software I'd be curious to hear see what it revealed
[ I used to own a jub and remembered liking it , but I wouldn't pay the money for one again ]
come to think of it , I suppose you could add the clipping diodes with a resister & a switch to get some of the
vibe , Casey the next new mod ?
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Casey_Butt
Arena

Post by Casey_Butt » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:45 pm

okgb wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:38 pm
...come to think of it , I suppose you could add the clipping diodes with a resister & a switch to get some of the vibe , Casey the next new mod ?
I haven't looked seriously into that but, off the top of my head, I would be concerned about the voltage levels at the diodes and preamp tubes. It wouldn't work too well to send a 120V signal into a diode that clips at 0.65V. [smilie=icon_eek.gif] There'd have to be some sort of level drop (or ground level increase) before the diodes and a recovery stage afterwards. I haven't looked at the Jubilee schematic in years so I might be missing something, or perhaps the last gain stage of the preamp of the JVM could be used for level recovery... just thinking out loud.
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ Fender Deluxe Reverb clone head
_ ADA MP-1, ART Power Plant, Tech 21 PSA-1
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)
_ Fender Pro 185 (rebuilt) - open back 2x12" with Jensen C12Ks

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:30 pm

the jube lead circuit has a bridge rectifier to ground , could try adding a trimmer before it to taste ? or that may add an too rough threshold ?
the clip rythm has a single diode in a cathode I believe before the lead section
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:44 pm

Some discussion on how the clipping network , works
https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10527.0

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetub ... ematic.pdf

The 800 that Schenker likes [ 2205 ? ] also uses clipping diodes, I'll check that schematic out
and against the jube

https://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetub ... ematic.pdf

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:54 pm

I think clipping diodes should be the next mod ! there's the famous Jose [ VH ] mod which uses them
and the excellent Friedman BE amps [ they use part of a transistor as a diode ? ]
the diodes [ plus a resister & cap ] could be wired straight to the switch, just gotta find a spot where the switch will fit !
and the right tube stage to put it after ! others refer to it as more saturated , it'll definitely get dirtier so maybe on the crunch ch ?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:30 pm

Yeh I'd like to see a clipping mod - another trick up the sleave for the jvm !
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup

IronHayden
Beginner
Beginner

Post by IronHayden » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Looks like I may have started a trend here ...... I'd be curious to know if the clipping mod can be done to the JVM and what the end result is. If it can get that "hair" the Jube gets, I'd be totally stoked. I have read posts here by Santiago that I interpret as the JVM is essentially a JCM800 with multiple preamps. I bet the Crunch channel would be the one to hook this up to. Add a push/pull pot in place of the channel volume to kick it in and out? Could be cool !!!!!

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:31 pm

yeh I'd do that mod if it existed !

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Possibly the Jose clipping diodes , or friedman variation although Jose puts the master in a different place ?
We need to stimulate the grp !