JVM410h new user here, need help with Iron Maiden settings

Share your favorite tone settings for classic & modern tones

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Nmoc strat
Beginner
Beginner

JVM410h new user here, need help with Iron Maiden settings

Post by Nmoc strat » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm new here. I've been in the Marshall Forum for a while, as I'm a big fan of Marshall tones, but only recently I've came here specifically to the JVM forum.

I'm basically a bedroom player, already had a few Amps, not only Marshall, but always tend to came back to the sound I love, had a 8080 combo, a JMP1 rack pre-amp, a small MG15 combo. About a year and half ago, I had the chance to aquire for the first time, a proper Marshall Head, JCM900 4100 High Gain Dual Reverb, first with a 2x12 cab, then a proper 1960A cab.

I liked the JCM900, loved the clean / crunch channel, as Iiked to play with always a bit of dirt on my cleans, but for the OD / Lead channel, I didnt exactly liked its tone if not pushed with a boost, like a Tubescreamer or similiar. It was that way that I mostly played with the JCM. But I always wished for a Marshall Amp that could do everything I liked, for itself, without having to rely on pedals or other effects.

Last week, I got the chance to trade my JCM900 for the JVM410h (plus some cash), and immediatly jumped on the opportunity. I'm still trying to take the best out of the Amp, its a much more versatile beast, but also more dificult to set up. I dont like the reverb as much as the JCM900, however the drive channels largely made up for it.

I mostly like to play classic Metal / Hard Rock / Rock, some of my references are: Iron Maiden's Dave Murray and Adrian Smith (which also uses the JVM410h) , Ritchie Blackmore, Savatage's Criss Oliva, Queensryche's Chris De Garmo, David Gilmour, and also Motorhead's Phill Campbell, and Saxon's Paul Quinn and Doug Scarlat, also big users of the JVM410h, thats why my preference with this Amp.

I'd like you to advise me on some of some settings, mostly for Iron Maiden, Piece Of Mind tone, Somewhere In Time tone (I know this was recorded mostly with Gallien Krueger Amps, but the Maiden tone is there), and the modern tone of albums like Brave New World, A Matter Of Life And Death, and Book Of Souls. I know modern Maiden tones are mostly made with rack preamps like JMP1sm(at least Dave and Janick, aldo Adrian for awhile) but as I prefer myself to twidle the knobs on a Marshall head, and for sure the JVM410h has it.

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Re: JVM410h new user here, need help with Iron Maiden settings

Post by jimsreynolds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 am

I would try either a) OD1 orange or b) crunch orange with tube screamer or similar

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

VirtualP
Beginner
Beginner

Re: JVM410h new user here, need help with Iron Maiden settings

Post by VirtualP » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi,

I am achieving a quite good Dave Murray’s lead tone on my JVm 410h :
- clean red channel
- a tube screamer between guitar and pre amp in
- a little delay between pre amp and power mp
- and a Seymour Duncan hot rail on neck position.

For sure, not only rhe JVM is involved but the fluid, creamy tone is there! Let us know 😉
Guitars : Jackson SL1 black with hotrail in neck position, Epiphone Gothic Explorer
Amps : JVM410H + 1960A cab, Marshall 5150, Peavey envoy 110, N.O.S DBKiller MK2
Pedals : Boss NS-2, GE-7, MT-2 and BD-2 (both with Monte allums Mod), TU-3, CH-1, Line6 über metal, echo park
PC : Line6 Toneport UX2, Podfarm 2, 2 Prodipe Pro8, Cubase 6