Can I use my JVM205c as a cabinet for an external head?

Speakers and Cabinets, types, manufacturers , what ohm ? questions, DIY speakers ...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Guitar1985
Beginner
Beginner

Can I use my JVM205c as a cabinet for an external head?

Post by Guitar1985 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks for the answers, Chiara [smilie-rock]

DalyCro
Pub Band

Re: Can I use my JVM205c as a cabinet for an external head?

Post by DalyCro » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 am

"Power amp insert" loop is created for that purpose. Just plug external head into "return" jack of that loop. That way you will bypass JVM preamp and use only power amp section of it. Master volume of JVM will still work. This way you can use external head as a preamp and JVM as a power amp.

But if you think using it only as a pure cabinet that should also be possible. You have JVM speaker inserted into dedicated port on the back of your combo. Go to music shop and buy speaker cable with desirable length and female/female TRS connector. Plug speaker cable from JVM into that connector, plug that new longer speaker cable into other side of connector and then plug it into external head you have. Voila...you now use JVM as pure cabinet.
Oh yeah, be sure that your new amp have matched impendance input of that speaker. (example. if JVM speaker is 8 Ohm, input of your external amp should have 8 Ohm or 4 Ohm output speaker jack). If impendance output speaker jack of your external cabinet is higher than impendance of JVM speaker do not connect it since you can damage your external amp.

WARNING!
DO NOT turn on your JVM at any circumstances after you removed speaker from JVM speaker input beacuse you will damage amp.
When plug speaker cable back to JVM be sure to put it into very same slot it was before (impendance match).
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.