Celestion Guitar Speaker Tone Comparison

Speakers and Cabinets, types, manufacturers , what ohm ? questions, DIY speakers ...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jackie
World Tour

Re: Celestion Guitar Speaker Tone Comparison

Post by Jackie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

JCT Audio Designs wrote:Have you guys seen this video comparing 15 different guitar speakers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI
Scroll up [smilie=icon_wink.gif]
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
ENGL Savage 120 mk I; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

flea
Private Parties

Post by flea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 am

Yes ive just watched it Jackie, and i have to be carefull in what i say as not to offend others [smilie=icon_cry.gif] There is no doubt that the v30 was the best all round speaker followed by the t75. greenbacks were ok, but some sounded too hard. I like when you can hit a power chord and it puts goose bunps on your skin. V30 was it and it was a cracker in the solo department, but the cel t75 were up there with them in that area. To me the rest alll sounded like absolute sh#t, except the golds which where ok. those tubby whatever thing speakers, some sounded very average, and the rest were pure utter crap! how could you put such crap in your cab, and the evevesance or however you say it, i wouldnt go near. they just had no body at all. Thanks for the post mate, as you know i have another thread going on with which speaker to choose as a combo, and i would have to say now that im not changing a thing. Im sticking with the v30's for my style of playing. Bear in mind we never heard them all in clean mode so i can only go off what the same effect he used through the entire clip. i know clips normally dont amount to much, but this one was pretty well on the money tone wise. Thanks again for sharing, now you have helped me in making so many bad decisions.

PS; I cannot believe how bad some of those speakers were tone wise, when some think there the bomb! no matter what syle of music your into, most of them would do no justice for your jvm. Next time someone complaines about there jvm sounding like crap and cant get the sound there after, maybe all of us should direct them into what speakers there using! we know the jvm is awsome, maybe they need to open up ther ear and try some new speakers. hope i havent offended any one, as this is only my personal view, and probably all the perfect & relative pitch training ive done might have changed me for the worse! [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

flea
Private Parties

Post by flea » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:05 am

Ah OH ive done it again, i swear im dislecick or something, but sorry jackie it was jct's post! anyway you should know by now that i misread a lot of stuff and cant spell to save my life! But hey Im in the jvm forum and i know my way around a fretboard, i suppose that counts for something. And im a nice Guy, will help anyone in need. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:28 pm

flea wrote:Ah OH ive done it again, i swear im dislecick or something, but sorry jackie it was jct's post! anyway you should know by now that i misread a lot of stuff and cant spell to save my life! But hey Im in the jvm forum and i know my way around a fretboard, i suppose that counts for something. And im a nice Guy, will help anyone in need. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Actually JCT just reposted the video I originally posted, but whatever, the point is, you watched it and V30 rocks. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
FX:
MISC:

flea
Private Parties

Post by flea » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:45 am

Hard for us newbies to keep up with you older members [smilie=icon_lol.gif] Maybe i need to spend more time on the forum! Then again ive taken purcession of a new jvm, it's only fair to divide my free time! [smilie=icon_wink.gif]

I think it was you who told me to stop chatting and start jamming! [smilie=icon_lol.gif]

JCT Audio Designs
Pub Band

Post by JCT Audio Designs » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Jackie wrote:
flea wrote:Ah OH ive done it again, i swear im dislecick or something, but sorry jackie it was jct's post! anyway you should know by now that i misread a lot of stuff and cant spell to save my life! But hey Im in the jvm forum and i know my way around a fretboard, i suppose that counts for something. And im a nice Guy, will help anyone in need. [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
Actually JCT just reposted the video I originally posted, but whatever, the point is, you watched it and V30 rocks. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
Opps, sorry.....I did not see it. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]
JVM 410H Mercury Magnetics choke and output transformer, C83 mod.
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
EVH 4x12 with Greenbacks
Avatar 4x12 with 2-Vintage 30's and 2-G12H30's
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Telecaster
2-Fender American Stratocaster
Custom Warmoth with Mahogany body and Koa top, Wenge neck
2-Schecter C-1 plus

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3zxlkKSc1c

Yet another comparison video.

V30 still sounds the best for me for this kind of music.
GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Stinger
Private Parties

Post by Stinger » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:34 am

Jackie wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3zxlkKSc1c

Yet another comparison video.

V30 still sounds the best for me for this kind of music.
Have to agree. For this style of music V30 is real hard to beat. But ......... if you've never tried the WGS Veteran 30 or the WGS Retro 30, they might be even better. Unfortunately not part of that comparison.

But, here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYnuC2kUjQ

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:04 pm

There is always an assumption that "Chinese made speakers" sound worse than their UK or American counterparts. Of course, with some commodities this may be true! - Parts manufactured in China are usually made there to keep costs down, mainly because of cheaper labour rates! With some items, lower spec or cheaper components may be used as well, to make the part as cheap as possible!

But on the other hand, most reputable western companies manufacturing in China often have parts made to exactly the same spec as the European/US parts and to exacting quality control standards - which are often more rigidly enforced than they are in the parent countries!

There is a kind of "racial snobbery" that means that the UK or USA manufactured part is often perceived as sounding "better", "richer", "smoother" etc! I recently saw a You Tube clip suposedly showing the superiority of UK made Vintage 30s made for "MESA" compared with the Chinese stanard part. To my ears there was virtually no difference, but If pushed, I would say that the Chinese speaker sounded better. This is probably more due to variences from one speaker to another, and "burn-in" time, rather than any inherent differences - but nevertheless, there were people commenting who thought that the difference was "night and day" - and that, predictably the UK made part sounded better! I wonder if the result would have been the same if the clip had not identified whcih was which whilst the comparison was in progress?
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:10 pm

"Racial"? There's that word again. It gets thrown around everywhere to stifle anyone with a differing opinion (not that that was your intention here, just in general). In this case, I don't think "race" has anything to do with it. If it were racial, then we'd look down our noses at the UK product too, if the technicians building them were Chinese. "Nationalism" - yeah, probably, but not without good reason. China HAS built a deserved reputation of making complete knockoffs (at greatly reduced price and quality) of brand-name products that have built good name recognition and reputations for quality.

Your point that just because it's Chinese-made doesn't necessarily mean that it is of inferior quality is a good, valid point. It's all up to the parent company to decide what level of quality the final product has, regardless of where it is made, and I understand that is what you were really trying to get across. In today's ridiculous PC culture, however, allegations of racism are used as a weapon against anyone who disagrees with the accuser.

For the record, I haven't listened to either speaker to make a comparison, so I haven't made a choice, and would be open to trying either in a comparison.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Flameout1212
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Flameout1212 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:52 pm

Nice old video....I think the Celestion V-type should be considered for JVMs. You can find them on Reverb.com used.

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:05 am

How about equality and saying, most companies are trying to increase profits by cutting costs, trust no one?
you can't trust a company because they charge allot of money doesn't make it good by that fact and too cheap? savings have to come from
somewhere,
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........