JVM410h with single V30

Speakers and Cabinets, types, manufacturers , what ohm ? questions, DIY speakers ...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

KandyMan1990
Beginner
Beginner

JVM410h with single V30

Post by KandyMan1990 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:16 am

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an isolation box for recording at home and it seems the majority of them are all single speaker. In particular I'm looking at this one https://grossmann-audio.de/en/product/sg-box-2/

I want to put a v30 in it but I'm not sure how well that would work with the 410h. Would an attenuator help prevent the speaker from blowing up or am I over thinking this? I've had the 410h for a little while now but I rarely get to play it (hence looking for the iso box) so I don't know how much volume effects tone on the amp, I heard it was designed to have very little power amp distortion? In that case would running the amp on say 2 or 3 on the master volume be more than enough to get a "proper" sound out of the amp without blowing a single v30?

Go easy on me ;)

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Re: JVM410h with single V30

Post by Greg_L » Fri May 29, 2020 1:49 pm

KandyMan1990 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:16 am
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an isolation box for recording at home and it seems the majority of them are all single speaker. In particular I'm looking at this one https://grossmann-audio.de/en/product/sg-box-2/

I want to put a v30 in it but I'm not sure how well that would work with the 410h. Would an attenuator help prevent the speaker from blowing up or am I over thinking this? I've had the 410h for a little while now but I rarely get to play it (hence looking for the iso box) so I don't know how much volume effects tone on the amp, I heard it was designed to have very little power amp distortion? In that case would running the amp on say 2 or 3 on the master volume be more than enough to get a "proper" sound out of the amp without blowing a single v30?

Go easy on me ;)
You don't need to "crank" a JVM, so keep it reasonable and a single V30 would be fine.

The real issue IMO is the iso box. You say you want "proper" sound, but it's pretty rare for a small iso box to sound good. And what's a "proper" sound with a 100 watt amp? I think in most cases that would be a 4x12 cab blasting out into open air. You can't do that though so something's got to give. Unfortunately many iso boxes sound like what they are - a box. Even with close miking the boxy honk gets picked up in the mic. The best iso box I ever heard was a home-build by a friend of mine and that thing was as big as a refrigerator. Sounded great, it did it's job, but it had to be huge. But you never know. Maybe that one will be great.
My gear list? Do a search.

KandyMan1990
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KandyMan1990 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Greg_L wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:49 pm
You don't need to "crank" a JVM, so keep it reasonable and a single V30 would be fine.

The real issue IMO is the iso box. You say you want "proper" sound, but it's pretty rare for a small iso box to sound good. And what's a "proper" sound with a 100 watt amp? I think in most cases that would be a 4x12 cab blasting out into open air. You can't do that though so something's got to give. Unfortunately many iso boxes sound like what they are - a box. Even with close miking the boxy honk gets picked up in the mic. The best iso box I ever heard was a home-build by a friend of mine and that thing was as big as a refrigerator. Sounded great, it did it's job, but it had to be huge. But you never know. Maybe that one will be great.
I thought that was the case, that's good to know thanks :)

When I say a proper sound I mean where the amp starts to open up and sound good. I've played at home with the volume at 0.5 and it sounds quite different to in a practice room where it's turned up to around 3 or 4, so if I can get it to around that 2 or 3 setting with a single V30 that would be ideal.

Yeah I get what you're saying about the iso box. I intended to build my own exactly as you described but I just don't have the space unfortunately. The one I linked seems to have done a good job at getting rid of the boxy sound you usually get from an iso cab based on videos I've watched so I'm optimistic. I'm just want to actually put the equipment I've gotten over the years to use seeing as I don't play live any more so it just sits in the garage.

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm

KandyMan1990 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:15 pm

I thought that was the case, that's good to know thanks :)

When I say a proper sound I mean where the amp starts to open up and sound good. I've played at home with the volume at 0.5 and it sounds quite different to in a practice room where it's turned up to around 3 or 4, so if I can get it to around that 2 or 3 setting with a single V30 that would be ideal.

Yeah I get what you're saying about the iso box. I intended to build my own exactly as you described but I just don't have the space unfortunately. The one I linked seems to have done a good job at getting rid of the boxy sound you usually get from an iso cab based on videos I've watched so I'm optimistic. I'm just want to actually put the equipment I've gotten over the years to use seeing as I don't play live any more so it just sits in the garage.
Fair enough. I understand.

Yes the V30 will easily handle a JVM on like 2-3.

Keep in mind that the "opening up" sound you want is probably not so much the amp and more the cab and speakers and room coming alive from volume. And you won't be getting that with an iso box. The JVM is not a crank it and get power tube saturation type of amp. It's not a Super Lead or a 2203. It's actually quite the opposite from those gotta-be-loud amps.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an iso box or discourage you. You do what you gotta do. I'd just hate for you to be disappointed.
My gear list? Do a search.

KandyMan1990
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KandyMan1990 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 pm

Greg_L wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm
Fair enough. I understand.

Yes the V30 will easily handle a JVM on like 2-3.

Keep in mind that the "opening up" sound you want is probably not so much the amp and more the cab and speakers and room coming alive from volume. And you won't be getting that with an iso box. The JVM is not a crank it and get power tube saturation type of amp. It's not a Super Lead or a 2203. It's actually quite the opposite from those gotta-be-loud amps.

I'm not trying to talk you out of an iso box or discourage you. You do what you gotta do. I'd just hate for you to be disappointed.
Nah it's cool I appreciate the advice. In truth a JVM isn't the only amp that will be going through it, I'll be recording with a couple of friends with their own amps so the iso box will be a huge convenience if not the most ideal setup. As long as I'm not gonna break anything with only a single speaker, all should be good :)

okgb
Club Circuit

Post by okgb » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Despite being named V30 they actually handle 60 watts
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........