JVM Forum

All about Marshall's JVM Series

Please help us with the forum running costs
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:14 am
Google Search the forum ... note that google has to index stuff before it shows up in the search, so it will not instantly show results for new posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 am 
Private Parties

Well tripwire and the Pup have been shouting about the virtues of the British-made G12H (NOT 70th anniv) speakers and I just found a locally (craigslist) advertised 1960ahw cab. Best part is the guy has 3 in his studio...needs to sell one and wants a GT75 loaded (1960a) cab for variety (like mine). BINGO....$450 cash plus my 5 year old 1960a-cab gets me a mint condition 1960ahw.

My pulse has shot up and I'm on my way to grab it now... [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] [smilie=banana_smiley.gif] banana_rasta

Ampeg Jet J-20 (P-to-P 1x12 combo)

Gibson Les Paul Custom 1988 w/ WCRs
Gibson SG Diablo

Fender '57 Reissue Stratocaster
Fender Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster
Charvel Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:45 pm 
Administrator

Congrats...you are gonna love those speaks!!!!
[smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:51 pm 
World Tour

Very cool! Can't wait to hear your report!

Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio with DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge and Virtual PAF Neck <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 pm 
Arena

The Heritage G12H-30 speakers in the 1960HW cabs are aged according to Marshall...so they are extra special even when compared to the off-the-shelf Heritage. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:34 pm 
Administrator

The Pup wrote:
The Heritage G12H-30 speakers in the 1960HW cabs are aged according to Marshall...so they are extra special even when compared to the off-the-shelf Heritage. [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif] [smilie=icon_eek.gif]

Ha ha....If you play them enough you age them better than Marshall could charge you for what they do!
banana_rasta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:58 pm 
Arena

tripwire wrote:
The Pup wrote:

Ha ha....If you play them enough you age them better than Marshall could charge you for what they do!
banana_rasta

They treat the cone...but won't disclose the process. All I know is that it works!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:40 pm 
Administrator

The Pup wrote:
They treat the cone...but won't disclose the process. All I know is that it works!

What do they treat it with? Any clue?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:09 pm 
Arena

tripwire wrote:
The Pup wrote:

What do they treat it with? Any clue?

Beats me...probably something very simple and cheap...like spray-on fabric softener.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:17 pm 
Private Parties

Okay...have had the cab for a few days now and have never been happier with a 4x12 cab. Had a Reeves 4x12 with Fane Reissues that really rocked but I prefer the Marshal 1960ahw. Always hard to describe tonal differences and though I liked my old cab (a well-broken in 1960a with GT75s) I find the G12H30s "thicker" warmer and more organic. They sound much better on cleaner material but handle crunch and overdrive much better as well. I've had to back off the mids a bit more to compensate (as the GT75s were more scooped). For anyone thinking about these speakers I'd encourage you to patiently check ebAY OR craigslist for a used Marshall 1960ahw or bhw cab rather than buying and installing the speakers in and exisiting 1960. Why?
-it's actually cheaper as you can pick up a used cab for $750-$850 whereas the G12H heritages at MF will run you $1000 for a set of four...
So you're getting a better constructed cabinet with robust metal handles plus the quad of g12h Heritages (aged by Marshall) for less money. Just my $.02 [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Oh... and it looks pretty awesome too [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]

Ampeg Jet J-20 (P-to-P 1x12 combo)

Gibson Les Paul Custom 1988 w/ WCRs
Gibson SG Diablo

Fender '57 Reissue Stratocaster
Fender Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster
Charvel Spectrum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:35 pm 
Club Circuit

goestoeleven wrote:
Okay...have had the cab for a few days now and have never been happier with a 4x12 cab. Had a Reeves 4x12 with Fane Reissues that really rocked but I prefer the Marshal 1960ahw. Always hard to describe tonal differences and though I liked my old cab (a well-broken in 1960a with GT75s) I find the G12H30s "thicker" warmer and more organic. They sound much better on cleaner material but handle crunch and overdrive much better as well. I've had to back off the mids a bit more to compensate (as the GT75s were more scooped). For anyone thinking about these speakers I'd encourage you to patiently check ebAY OR craigslist for a used Marshall 1960ahw or bhw cab rather than buying and installing the speakers in and exisiting 1960. Why?
-it's actually cheaper as you can pick up a used cab for $750-$850 whereas the G12H heritages at MF will run you $1000 for a set of four...
So you're getting a better constructed cabinet with robust metal handles plus the quad of g12h Heritages (aged by Marshall) for less money. Just my $.02 [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

[smilie=gt-happyup.gif] Good news. Glad you are enjoying them. I have been considering the g12h Heritages for one of my Avatar 2x12 cabs. I think it would work well with my Laney Lionheart cab. Would also like to try pairing with my V30 cab for JVM land.

The Band Zer0 - http://zer0music.com
Correlative Creative - http://correlative.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:45 am 
Pub Band

goestoeleven wrote:

2 things.
1. Whatever Marshall does to the cones at the factory makes a huge difference. My 1960av with V30 sounds 1000 times better than my regular V30 cab. So I really do think getting the 1960HW is worth it. The Marshall ageing process no matter how simple really works wonders.

2.You can get the G12H30 heritages from Avatar for around $700 for a quad. Back in July the were 649 plus 29 ship for a quad. I know prices have went up since then, but probally only $60-$80.

Cabs: 1960AV, Avatar vintage 2x12 w/V30's, Basson 4x12 with Emi Legends

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm 
Administrator

edit: corrected

Here they have them for 375 pounds sterling for a quad, 573 dollars at today's rates. Plus postage of course.

They were on offer for much less but sadly no more ...

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=214

::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm 
Administrator

Tommy Horror wrote:
2.You can get the G12H30 heritages from Avatar for around $700 for a quad. Back in July the were 649 plus 29 ship for a quad. I know prices have went up since then, but probally only $60-$80.

I did just that. They sound incredible to me. I would like to put it against the "pre-conditioned" speaks to see the difference. I bet the cab makes more difference than the speaks do. Live the cab really makes very little difference when you are miking the cab at point blank range at the volume we play.

I would like to check it out though for shits and giggles. Especially now that mine are broken in nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 pm 
Arena

Tommy Horror wrote:
goestoeleven wrote:

2 things.
1. Whatever Marshall does to the cones at the factory makes a huge difference. My 1960av with V30 sounds 1000 times better than my regular V30 cab. So I really do think getting the 1960HW is worth it. The Marshall ageing process no matter how simple really works wonders.

Marshall uses aged G12H-30 speakers in its 1960HW cabs...I do not think Marshall ages or treats any V30 speakers or those in your 1960V cab.

Regardless...if it sounds good...it is good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:45 pm 
Club Circuit

Hmmm,

So, if I understand correctly, the HW cabs have the G12H (Heritage, not 70th Ann.) speakers. So what REALLY is the difference between the G12H (Heritage) and G12H30 (70th Ann) versions? Other than the Heritage having to vintage green driver label, they appear to have the same freq response, etc. Are the 70th Ann manufactured in China or something?

The Band Zer0 - http://zer0music.com
Correlative Creative - http://correlative.com