A little demo

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

aberry9475
Beginner
Beginner

A little demo

Post by aberry9475 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Hey guys, here's a little demo of my modded JVM. I'll try to cover most all of the set up below. I actually don't think this recording does it justice. In person, with your ear not pressed up against the cab, it sounds a lot less fizzy. It's just huge and rich. Even richer when it's actually loud - can't do that at home though. I'll have to play with the mic a little and see what I can do. Any tips certainly appreciated there.

Guitar - 2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Rewired, EVH Frankenstein humbucker in the bridge at the moment
Pedals - Ibanez TS 808 HW, set moderately low. Just something to get that compressed edge.
JVM - MM PT, OT, choke, 100uF filtering, C83 switched in, plexi cap mod, lower compression mod, 3rd stage bias knob about noon, negative feedback knob about 1 o'clock. NOS Mullard, Blackplate, Telefunkens and GE in the preamp.
Cab - Maple/Mahogany 2x12 (currently running open back) with V30's
Recording - SM57 with cheap interface into audacity

Love the amp for metal now even though the mods "demetalize" the amp in a certain way. Lowering the filtering and adding the choke actually gave the amp a lot of life that I don't think I'll reverse - just kick in a transistorized boost when you want tightness but still keep all the feels of the amp. I usually do that on the bone stock OD2 red with the gain around 10 o'clock and the channel volume at noon. At that level it still has plenty of gain, but coming from someone who loves saturated tube overdrive (don't we all?) I've learned there's something to be said for some transistor in the signal chain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJ3ZDc ... e=youtu.be

NoWayBackRock
Private Parties

Re: A little demo

Post by NoWayBackRock » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:11 pm

Hello Alexander,

Sounds great! The recording process indeed takes out much of the magic, I feel the same. Many years experimenting with different amps, speakers, mike setups and at the end of the day you can only capture a fraction of that magic - go figure, your tipical recording mic (sm 57) has a limited frequency response, the speaker/cab interact in unpredictable ways with room acoustics...there are so many factors that the end result (that going to "tape" ;) is so different from what you hear live during recording. On the positive side, all recordings, including those professionally carried out, have the same limitations; you can get outstanding results with an affordable setup in your own home studio.
As for the playing and general vibe, I find your rendering of that classic riff simply fantastic [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] - I especially enjoy JVM´s recordings and this forum's section, cause at the end of the day, we have all this gear to P L A Y M U S I C. Transistors, tubes, digital, who cares... [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Best [smiley-shreds] ,
Marcelo
http://www.wyblack.com
Guitars: ESP Eclipse II (now with Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz, originally EMG 81/60), Schecter C1 Classic (SD JB/Jazz), Schecter C1 Blackjack with SD Blackouts.
Amps: Marshall JVM 410H (EH in V1 and V2, bias 63mv), Mesa Boogie Mark V (stock), 2010 Mesa Dual Rectifier ("reborn", stock).
Cabs: Marshall 1960 BV (V30s) / Custom, super stiff 2x12 with Mesa V30s.
Effects: TC Electronics G Sharp - BB Preamp - Fulltone Wah - Maxon OD808 - Line 6 Pod HD500 (in the loop, noise control and delay).