Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Post Reply
Spacerocker
Arena
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Rugby UK

Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by Spacerocker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

This is a clip of my modded JVM410 which I think demonstrates how much more "vintage" sounding it is compared to stock. The recording is raw, un-processed and was recorded from my cab mic'ed up at a pub gig....

Main channels in use (if memory serves) are Crunch Orange, OD1 Orange and OD2 Orange

https://soundcloud.com/urbanspaceman-1/021-hocus-pocus
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

Andy
Administrator
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:59 pm

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by Andy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:17 am

nice one space !
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Spacerocker
Arena
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Rugby UK

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by Spacerocker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:50 pm

Andy wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:17 am
nice one space !
Thank you sir!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

DalyCro
Private Parties
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Croatia

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by DalyCro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm

Spacerocker wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm
This is a clip of my modded JVM410 which I think demonstrates how much more "vintage" sounding it is compared to stock. The recording is raw, un-processed and was recorded from my cab mic'ed up at a pub gig....

Main channels in use (if memory serves) are Crunch Orange, OD1 Orange and OD2 Orange

https://soundcloud.com/urbanspaceman-1/021-hocus-pocus
Rock on mate.
Its too violently for me but sound is nice.
I do like your other stuff though. And "Time" solo reveals your signature sound.
On one of the songs you were using some "space" sound? Something close what Ronnie Montrose used in 70's. How did you create that?
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod; -ve fb), Marshall 4x12 Greenback. SG standard with 490R/498T. LP Bonamassa sig with BB2/BB3. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's Milk.G&L Asat tele with MFD.

Spacerocker
Arena
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Rugby UK

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by Spacerocker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:33 pm

DalyCro wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:10 pm
Spacerocker wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm
This is a clip of my modded JVM410 which I think demonstrates how much more "vintage" sounding it is compared to stock. The recording is raw, un-processed and was recorded from my cab mic'ed up at a pub gig....

Main channels in use (if memory serves) are Crunch Orange, OD1 Orange and OD2 Orange

https://soundcloud.com/urbanspaceman-1/021-hocus-pocus
Rock on mate.
Its too violently for me but sound is nice.
I do like your other stuff though. And "Time" solo reveals your signature sound.
On one of the songs you were using some "space" sound? Something close what Ronnie Montrose used in 70's. How did you create that?

Thanks DalyCro!

When you say "its too violently for me" - what do you mean? Too rocky, or the playing is too agressive? Not offended either way - just curious what you meant. Are you familiar with the track I was playing? (Hocus Pocus by Focus) - if not, you can probably find it on the net somewhere, but it is quite hard to find the original studio version as opposed to the "live" (and "extremely sped up") version!

Which song did you mean about the "Space" sound? Was it "Masters"? - if so that was the Flanger in my Midi-verb unit. For most things I prefer the "G-Major" also in my rack - but the MIDIverb flanger is excellent!

Thanks for your feedback!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

DalyCro
Private Parties
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:29 pm
Location: Croatia

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by DalyCro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:56 am

Too violently = I am not fond of fast solo guitar sounds on high strings and higher frets if there is no backing sound, like second guitar or keyboard/organ or maybe some other instrument that suits well in the paticular mix. The sound you have I do like, but "alone" in the mix it's too much "direct/harsh/dry" for my ears.

Edit: I went to youtube and found studio version..and yes...my upper explanation is spot on.
(Usually I am not able to explain sound I "see" in my head) :)

Shotdown in the night, very beggining. On Masters I clearly hear flanger but on Shotdown I would like to know how did you created start of the song.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod; -ve fb), Marshall 4x12 Greenback. SG standard with 490R/498T. LP Bonamassa sig with BB2/BB3. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's Milk.G&L Asat tele with MFD.

Spacerocker
Arena
Posts: 1087
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:22 am
Location: Rugby UK

Re: Modded JVM410 - Vintagey sound

Post by Spacerocker » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:06 pm

DalyCro wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:56 am
Too violently = I am not fond of fast solo guitar sounds on high strings and higher frets if there is no backing sound, like second guitar or keyboard/organ or maybe some other instrument that suits well in the paticular mix. The sound you have I do like, but "alone" in the mix it's too much "direct/harsh/dry" for my ears.

Edit: I went to youtube and found studio version..and yes...my upper explanation is spot on.
(Usually I am not able to explain sound I "see" in my head) :)

Shotdown in the night, very beggining. On Masters I clearly hear flanger but on Shotdown I would like to know how did you created start of the song.
Ah got you! - We use some sound samples. That particular sound I created in "Fruityloops" using an analogue synth emulation and adjusting it to get the sounds in real time. The result was recorded and replayed live using Fruity loops on my laptop - using the MIDI signal from my MIDI foot controller - Behringer FCB1010. I use this to switch channels on my amp, select presets from my rack effects (which I only use about 10% of the time of course (!)), - and trigger samples from my laptop!

I suppose I will now get criticism from others on the board for using "too much technology" - or for "not having a "hand-wired vintage laptop"!
smilie=icon_lol.gif

I see what you mean about the backing - but we are a 3 piece band (which I prefer) so that is one draw-back. Also in retrospect the guitar is too forward in the mix on this track - but that does make it a good example to use to show how my particular amp sounds!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller

Post Reply