Free & Easy

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

wolbai
Garage Band

Free & Easy

Post by wolbai » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Free & Easy – music + lyrics by wolbai

Some thoughts how this song took shape:

between the years I listen again to Blank & Jones. This is a cool Electronica & Dance-Duo and they have some international reputation for their chilled songs. This brought me to the idea for a new song with a "modern touch" ...

At first I developed a chorus dance beat. In principle the whole song is based on that beat. Then the rolling bass came into place and so on ...

Bought the HipHop package from Toontrack EZ Drummer 2. Great package with awesome grooves and a lot of percussion instruments which can be used in other beats as well.

This song is keyboard driven. The guitar parts are decent with the exception of the leadpart which (hopefully) stands out a bit [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I used my Marshall JVM410 for the recording again. The clean parts are recorded with the Clean Green channel.
The leadpart is recorded with the Crunch Red, Gain at 10/10 [smiley_twisted] and a tubescreamer in front from my Fractal Audio FX8 Multi-FX.

The guitar is a Warmoth-built with Suhr Doug Aldrich pups and a Kinmain Av69.

For the video clip I have chosen black&white, so the pimples are not so prominent on the face [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

At the end of the day, the creation of a new song is somehow always a trip to the own universe where you easily can get lost ...

I honestly cannot say what genre this song is. At least it is not that classic rock fuss as always [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

Your feedback is important to me.

Have fun while listening - listen inside and let the groove be your guide ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6WA_6Zz7AE

All the best - wolbai
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

Landry
Garage Band

Re: Free & Easy

Post by Landry » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Not bad! I would be proud to have something come out this well. It really sounds professional, andit's a nice tune. Well done.

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Landry,

thanks for your nice feedback :-)

I am currently not playing in bands anymore. So home recording has become my passion. Doing it in a ambitious way, home recording can be as challenging and time consuming as any band project.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

nato
Private Parties

Post by nato » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 pm

Nice job. I thought your lead tone cut through well. Crunch red is a great channel/mode, one of my favourites.

Cheers
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi, nato, thanks for your feedback :-)

I discover more and more the crunch red channel together with the volume knob on my guitar:

Running this channel/mode, say with gain at 4/10, and a Tubescreamer in front, this channel can be nicely varied (from clean - crunch - lead) just with the volume knob on the guitar. With the OD2-Red (which is my main high gain channel), I need to use noise gates. Noise gates unfortunately limits the volume knob usage on the guitar, because the tone often dies to early at a certain point.

A luthier has recently modified my H-S-H pickups on my Warmoth-built, so I can roll back the volume knob without too much treble bleed in the single coil (neck) position.

Will soon check this out in a new song coming along the way.

wolbai