A jazzy walk (JVM410 Clean Orange / feat. Didgeridoo+Hang)

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

wolbai
Garage Band

A jazzy walk (JVM410 Clean Orange / feat. Didgeridoo+Hang)

Post by wolbai » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 pm

My original plan was to make an instrumental song with a (swing)-jazzy vibe ...

As the songwriting/recording process progess, the original song idea morphs into a fusion/cross over character with a jazzy vibe.

This songs is also the story how I met on old school friend again. He lives now in New Zealand since several years. In the age of 15-20 we were very close. He played drums and I played bass in these days in the mid seventies. Good times ...

I am more than happy that he contributes to this song with his Didgeridoo and Hang. Very inspiring instruments.
It is just amazing how easy it is to set up a "virtual band" across the world nowadays to make music with modern communication and recording technology. We probably will do more music projects together in the future.

A Marshall JVM410 is normally not well known for jazz guitar playing. Well, I think it is more a matter how to dial in a decent jazz guitar tone. The Clean Orange channel is a good starting point for that. In the Outro part (with a Latin-groove), I switched over to the Crunch Red channel with a Tube Screamer in front.
And although metal genres are dominating nowadays, I think there are lots of (Cover) musicians out there who enjoy their JVMs in other styles (Rock/Pop, Funk, Jazz, etc.) as well.

There is a longer improvisation section where I hadn't more than a lick to start and a lick to finish and to come back to the chorus melody line.
So I recorded a lot of takes (w/o cutting) and I finally chose the one which sounds best imo.

I tried to make longer breaks in the jazz improvisation part, so the groove can breath. Not that easy in the century of high speed guitar shreeding ...
Before recording, I exercised specific jazz phrasings and scales on the underlying chord progression. That was new to me and inspiring.
Will try to incooperate this into my (rock)-guitar toolbox. In the outro part, the song morphs into a latin-groove which let me fall into a Santana-like guitar style ...

For the lead parts I used my Warmoth H-S-H built with Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups.
The guitar rhythm parts (electric guitar and acoustic guitar) are played with my James Tyler Variax JTV69. I rediscovered this guitar somehow for recordings (good acoustic sounds).

The drums are programmed with Toontrack EZ Drummer 2. Very nice sounding, transparent and airy beat imo.
I recorded the specific EZ Drummer 2 drum kit with a camcorder from the PC screen and incooperate it into the vids virtual band rehearsal room.

The Bass, keyboards and the brass section is played / recorded with a midi-keyboard into my DAW.

Have fun watching / listening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zf_ObRQG7M

Your feedback is important to me.

wolbai
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

nato
Private Parties

Re: A jazzy walk (JVM410 Clean Orange / feat. Didgeridoo+Hang)

Post by nato » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am

Not really a jazz guy, but nicely done!
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

All jvm tones seem to fit nicely, good job.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:31 pm

nato wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:25 am
Not really a jazz guy, but nicely done!
Hi nato,

thx for the feedback [smilie=gt-happyup.gif]
I see that you are from Australia, so the Didge has probably warmed up your heart [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

I am also not a jazz player. But I always wanted to add to my rock-oriented guitar playing a bit of a new flavour to the sauce by throwing in few jazzy licks. I recently had a chance to dive in to jazz music and I work on new scales and phrasings for that.

The other thing with the guitar jazz playing is that you are heavily thrown back to a pure natural guitar sounds. There is no real chance to hide the own poorness of guitar playing behind amp gain and effects. And this shows you more whether there is a musical substance in your tune or not (not sure, if I can express it in a correct way).

This genre also brings me easier to play laid back, that means I make more breaks in improvisation parts between the notes, which sometimes can be quite a challenge in the century of high speed shredding. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]
And finally these breaks between the notes of lead parts really give a background groove to breath and shine.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai

wolbai
Garage Band

Post by wolbai » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:42 pm

namklak wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm
All jvm tones seem to fit nicely, good job.
Hi namklak,

your feedback confirms my opinion that the JVM410 is also in the jazzy genre the all-purpose weapon.

Nowadays, metal genres are hip. But it pains me sometimes that I mainly see JVMs-vids doing the "shredding thing".
These amps are capable to be used in much more music genres, provided that the guitar player knows how to dial in a decent tone on his amp.