Suggestions for replicating this tone

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Stinger
Private Parties

Re: Suggestions for replicating this tone

Post by Stinger » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Hey Waldie,

Yeah, I agree your curve matched tone sounds far better in the mix than the other one. It sound much more direct and in your face. That is the main reason, in my opinion why we like to get aggressive with cutting the fizz and some of the high frequencies, because if there is too much of that present it tends to offset the mids which is where the guitar really needs to speak from. The result is the guitar tends to sound more distant in the mix. Instead of the guitar sounding like its coming directly from the face your stereo speakers it sounds as though the guitar is coming from some place in behind the speakers, somehow more distant and weaker as a result ..... if that makes any sense. Mids baby mids.

Anyway, with respect to trying to replicate that curve with your DAW eq, you would be able to do it by using mulitiple instances of your eq. Or by using a variety of soft eq's in series. Or you could just use a program like Voxengo CurveEQ. Just on the topic of curve matching types of software, I will tell you that Izotope Ozone is way better at it than Voxengo CurveEQ but Izotope is much more expensive.

waldie101
Garage Band

Post by waldie101 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Cool. Thanks for all your help.
GUITARS:
-'01 Gibson LP Classic Smoke Flame-top
-Schecter Syn Custom-S Black/white
AMPS:
-2012 Marshall JVM 205H no mods, stock footswitch
CABS:
-Marshall Vintage 1960B
OTHER:
-NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CT-6 Tuner, CS-3 Comp/Sustainer, SD-1 OD, Heil talkbox, Crybaby wah, MXR Carbon Copy FX delay, RV-5 Reverb, Hum Eliminator

waldie101
Garage Band

Post by waldie101 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:49 am

ok.....i took out the CurveEQ and adjusted it just with several eq's in the FX chain. Here's what i came up with and will use as the chain (ignoring tweaking at end) with my same rig and setup ect. to do this song. You think i am "finished" with the eq here? Obv its a constant battle, but I mean is it good enough you think?

I need someone's fresh ear to give me some feedback....have listened to it too many times haha. I want it to sound good in the mix, but be my unique tone too.

Thanks all

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-waldie/final-rhythm-eq
GUITARS:
-'01 Gibson LP Classic Smoke Flame-top
-Schecter Syn Custom-S Black/white
AMPS:
-2012 Marshall JVM 205H no mods, stock footswitch
CABS:
-Marshall Vintage 1960B
OTHER:
-NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CT-6 Tuner, CS-3 Comp/Sustainer, SD-1 OD, Heil talkbox, Crybaby wah, MXR Carbon Copy FX delay, RV-5 Reverb, Hum Eliminator