Joe Satriani - Satch Dreams (JVM410 Crunch channel)

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

wolbai
Garage Band

Joe Satriani - Satch Dreams (JVM410 Crunch channel)

Post by wolbai » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 am

Hi to all,

this is another recording with my JVM410h using the Crunch channel.

I use this amp also for home recordings with a Rivera RockCrusher and a Radial JDX DI Box. For this specific recording I have chosen the Crunch channel (Orange Mode). In this channel you still can hear differentiations from your picking style (fingers and guitar pic) or by switching the PU selector.

I consider this as a great channel for a dynamic playing style (and I am still discovering this channel for that purpose).

As I currently do not play in a band, I tend to crab all backing tracks I can get and noodle along with them. And sometimes, the outcome is what I would call “musical”.

I recently rediscovered a backing track form Joe Satriani. The song is called "Satch Dreams". To me, this backing has some mystical elements: Great sound coloration I love to cruise over.

The beat is a 6/8 rhythm. Initially this was pretty hard for me to log into the groove. The backing itself is spherical and slow motion. The challenge is not to play a lot of notes and to let the backing breath. This requires a kind of mature playing discipline.

The main chord in the backing is B minor, and most of the other chords (Em7, Gmaj7, D, A) are taken from the B natural minor, or Aeolian, scale (B C# D E F# G A). The only exceptions are the F# and F#7 which you either ignore or apply the B harmonic minor (B C# D E F# G A#). Apart from the B minor pentatonic scale, the chord progression itself invites to play modal forms of the D-major scale and arpeggios.

I recorded this in one Take, so not all phrases are really top. But I like the overall mood. And most of it is improvised (I bet: I never can play it like that again). With the exception of the backing this improvisations has not that much in common with the original song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QqXM7 ... e=youtu.be

Let me know what you’re thinking about.

Rocking greetings - wolbai
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Guitars: Warmoth (H-S-H)-built, James Tyler Variax JTV 59, JTV 69, JTV 89F, Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, Godin Progression, Godin Seagull
Amps/cabs: Marshall JVM410h (negative feedback mod crunch channel only), Line6 DT50/212 Combo, Line6 DT50/Head, Marshall JVMC212 cab (closed back), Palmer 2x12 cab (closed back) Multi-FX: Fractal Audio Systems FX8, Line6 POD HD500
Others: Little Lehle A/B-Switch, Radial JDX Reactor direct box, RIVERA Rockcrusher, Small Stubby 3.0 mm picks, Sharkfin picks, D'Addario-XL EXL125 strings Website: http://www.soundclick.com/wolbai