lead tone

Clips of your JVM, not gigs or tunes ...

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

waldie101
Garage Band

lead tone

Post by waldie101 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:31 am

have been messing with rhythm tone forever, finally got the EQ about right for what I am looking for.

Starting to attack leads. Recorded this and just EQ'd it the same as the rhythm chain that i used, as a starting point.

Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/kevin-waldie/critical-better

Do I need to scrap the lead (rhythm clone) chain and go in and EQ it differently and just play with it in the mix? If so, what sort of stuff do I need to focus on? Basically what I'm asking is, knowing what I now know about EQing rhythm guitars (good enough for now i think) how are leads similar and different ? (eq wise, ignoring effects like delay, reverb, ect) Are leads more like a vocal track?
GUITARS:
-'01 Gibson LP Classic Smoke Flame-top
-Schecter Syn Custom-S Black/white
AMPS:
-2012 Marshall JVM 205H no mods, stock footswitch
CABS:
-Marshall Vintage 1960B
OTHER:
-NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CT-6 Tuner, CS-3 Comp/Sustainer, SD-1 OD, Heil talkbox, Crybaby wah, MXR Carbon Copy FX delay, RV-5 Reverb, Hum Eliminator

waldie101
Garage Band

Re: lead tone

Post by waldie101 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 am

anyone?
GUITARS:
AMPS:
CABS:
-Marshall Vintage 1960B
OTHER:
-NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CT-6 Tuner, CS-3 Comp/Sustainer, SD-1 OD, Heil talkbox, Crybaby wah, MXR Carbon Copy FX delay, RV-5 Reverb, Hum Eliminator

Mats A
Club Circuit

Post by Mats A » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:40 am

I mostly use the same tone for rythm as for leads. Since i use the volume control on the guitar i mostly have that on about 7 when playing rythm and then turn it up for leads. I might also use a booster or an overdrive pedal like the Majik Box Rocket Fuel.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

waldie101
Garage Band

Post by waldie101 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Mats A wrote:I mostly use the same tone for rythm as for leads. Since i use the volume control on the guitar i mostly have that on about 7 when playing rythm and then turn it up for leads. I might also use a booster or an overdrive pedal like the Majik Box Rocket Fuel.

Yea thanks....Im am happy with the sound I am getting down on the track. I am more concerned with adjustments after its into Reaper, ect.
GUITARS:
AMPS:
CABS:
-Marshall Vintage 1960B
OTHER:

Mats A
Club Circuit

Post by Mats A » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:38 pm

For recording i might change the tone if the track needs it.

Tonemeister
World Tour

Post by Tonemeister » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 pm

I normally EQ my rhythm guitar with relatively week upper mids (they are nice and strong on my amp though)... the reason for that is that I want the vocals to sit there in the mix which I tend to mix with stronger upper mids. Generally speaking the Lead guitar will play a lick when there is no vocals, and in turn actually takes the place of the vocals... therefore I EQ Leads with strong upper mids. For me, the EQ on Lead tracks is more closely resembling that of the vocals then that of the rhyrhtm guitar. Otherwise all your guitar tracks will sound them same instead of the Lead standing out.
- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- 2x Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- 2x Dean DIME (FBD, Stealth #29/50), ESP LTD MH-250HT, Fender MIM Strat
- TC Electronic PolyTune, ISP Decimator G-String, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, Ibanez TS9, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Flashback X4, TC Hall Of Fame

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca