N.O.S. Mullard in V3 Really Sweetend my 215C

All about tube choices for the JVM series. See workbench for biasing and tube problems you may have.

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Garage Band

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:57 am

I'll keep this short.
Been slowly replacing my preamp tubes in my JVM 215 c 1X12 combo.

V1-NOS Mullard Blackburn 1962, Clean channel sounded better, fuller and warmer.
V2- NOS Mullard 1969, Subtle gain reduction which I find an improvement and smoother O.D.
V3-NOS Mullard 1964, Wow! Total surprise when I fired it up after this one. Now the Gain / O.D. is sweeter and silky. It also added a shimmer like tremolo that you find in quality Fender & clones. I did not expect a tonal improvement because the circuit says it's the cathode follower. I thought I was wasting a good tube here. Not so. My ES-335 never sounded so good.

I generally swap tubes one at a time and give it a month to see what I think ?
This way I know exactly what each position does.
V3 was just such an improvement I had to share it.

Lets see what my last NOS Mullard does in V4?
Cheers.

gtrjunior
Private Parties

Post by gtrjunior » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Iirc, V4 is for the reverb/Fx loop. I’m guessing not much change there. At least to the basic tone. I’m sure it could change the tone of the Reverb and/or the pedals you run in the loop.
V5 however, is the phase inverter. I find that a good tube there can really have a big affect on the feel of an amp.

Hot 'Lanta Cat
Garage Band

Re: N.O.S. Mullard in V3 Really Sweetend my 215C

Post by Hot 'Lanta Cat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:07 am

It's on the list gtrjunior. Maybe a robust NOS Tung-Sol? Thanks.

gtrjunior
Private Parties

Post by gtrjunior » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 am

I’m a big fan of both long and short plate RCA NOS tubes.
Most of what you read on the web talks about the long black plate being the best, but I have several short grey plates that sound amazing. And the shorter plate tends to be less microphonic (not that that matters in the pi).
I also have a few NOS Tung Sol which are excellent too.

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:32 pm

Note that the V3 DC coupled cathode follower works by loading the previous stage which is one of the triodes in V2, creating an even harmonic distortion unlike any of the other stages in the amp. So when playing with V3 you can also play with V2 to tweak this interaction...
My $.02
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).