A good Valve manufacturer for 410HJS ?

All about tube choices for the JVM series. See workbench for biasing and tube problems you may have.

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

valvereaper
Beginner
Beginner

A good Valve manufacturer for 410HJS ?

Post by valvereaper » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Received the amp last week. Great apart from an arcing el34! Not sure if it’s another one setting it off but tried a quad set from another amp. And need a new quad.

So it’s possibly either Marshall quad off eBay £40 or Watford Valves JJ mk2 est £68.

Thinking the Marshall set for the time being. Just not sure what real make they are or how reliable. Especially after it was a branded Marshall valve that was arcing.

DalyCro
Pub Band

Re: A good Valve manufacturer for 410HJS ?

Post by DalyCro » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:55 am

Haha, so I was not the only one who had valve problems on new amp. When I bought it was one or two faulty in preamp. Swtiched all, didn't want to bother investigating. Marshall have mixed original setup. In preamp silver/white letters are chinese ones and the ones with red letters are JJ's. I believe that power amp valves are also chinese production but not 100% sure. I am using JJ's in power amp and no problem so far. Didn't noticed any change in sound when switched from those chinese ones to JJ's. But thats me :), I bet other will tell you different.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.