EL-34 Tube Selection

All about tube choices for the JVM series. See workbench for biasing and tube problems you may have.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

LG
Private Parties

EL-34 Tube Selection

Post by LG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:18 am

I've had my 410H for 8 years and my 210H for 5 years. They have both seen several tube swaps. Mainly powers of course but a little experimenting with V1 & 2 also. I've had the Winged =C='s, the EH's, Groove Tubes 5 rated and just put a set of Mullard 34's in. Other than the Winged =C='s the EH's were and are the best sounding TO MY EARS. The GT's and the Mullards are a bit on the harsh side. Good tube interaction but just lacking the warmth of the EH's and the Winged =C='s. I will say that the GT's have warmed slightly over time but still not the EH warmth. The Mullards took a lot of tweaking and have a strange upper mid IMO. The GT's had that but have since tamed slightly. I will now rely on EH's solely as they represent what sounds best to me. Just my 2 cents concerning this topic which has been addressed on here for a while now. Of course that's a good thing!
Amps/ Marshall JVM 410H+210H (OD to OD1 mod) Both NOS Mullard (V2)
Guitars/ 04'Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard, 95'Gibson LP Standard, 2012 Gibson LP Traditional, 93'Washburn N4 Padauk, 2017 Gibson EDS-1275, 98'Warwick Corvette FNA, 2014 Taylor 526ce
Cabinets/ 3-4x12 Marshall 1960 B cabs,
FX/ Eventide PitchFactor+TimeFactor, Turbo Tuner, EVH Phase 90, Hardwire TR-7, Crybaby 535 Chrome,Modded Cantrell, Wilson Effects Custom 12 POS Wah, Friedman BE-OD, Voodoo Lab Ground Control+GCX, BOSS ES-8, BOSS MS-3
Road Cases/ Crown Cases, NGM
SAE Certified Audio Engineer

http://www.axisfiveband.com

jim renolds
World Tour

Re: EL-34 Tube Selection

Post by jim renolds » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:21 am

Great review(s), LG. Thanks for posting.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

jimsreynolds
World Tour

Post by jimsreynolds » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:15 pm

I retubed my power stage with EH EL34EH tubes about three weeks ago. Since then I have played four gigs with two bands and I have to say they sound pretty darn good to me. They replaced a set of Winged C's that had been in for a couple of years and were getting a bit dull. There is more detail, depth and sophistication in the EH than I was hearing previously (which may partly be the new tubes) but I certainly am not hearing anything lacking that was there previously with the Winged C's.

Given the price difference (32 UK pounds for the Winged C's vs 13.50 for the EH) I think they represent a really good buy and I don't perceive that I have sacrificed anything.

For further disclosure: I use a 410C combo (modded) with stock speakers and tend to spend most of my time on Clean and Crunch channels, with forays into OD1 for live.
JimBOB

-------------------------------------------
Amps:

Guitars:
  • 70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele (Modded), Falk "Splitter", Taylor T5, Ibanez RG2610E
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
  • Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, Crybaby, Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, (retired), Boss GT8 (retired)

LG
Private Parties

Post by LG » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Yessir DH. I've found this forum so helpful in years past that although I seldom come on anymore, I try to offer my experience/opinions just as you all have helped me. They do sound good Jims. Also hard to beat the bang for buck. Unfortunately did lose my 1960 Mullard in V2 of the 410. It lasted a good 4-5 years so I thought that was fair. The 210 still has a 1962 Webcor made by Mullard in it. Love those old Mullard NOS pre tubes. Expensive as heck though. Once you hear the midrange difference, it makes the cost slightly more bearable. http://www.axisfiveband.com if any of you guys may be interested in hearing the JVM's. Every solo was cut using the 210H. Thanks! L
Guitars/ 04'Gibson Custom Shop LP Standard, 95'Gibson LP Standard, 2012 Gibson LP Traditional, 93'Washburn N4 Padauk, 2017 Gibson EDS-1275, 98'Warwick Corvette FNA, 2014 Taylor 526ce
FX/ Eventide PitchFactor+TimeFactor, Turbo Tuner, EVH Phase 90, Hardwire TR-7, Crybaby 535 Chrome,Modded Cantrell, Wilson Effects Custom 12 POS Wah, Friedman BE-OD, Voodoo Lab Ground Control+GCX, BOSS ES-8, BOSS MS-3

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes, based on the alleged spotty availability and scraping the bottom of the barrel on the Winged Cs, plus the cost factor, I have determined that when the current set of Winged Cs need replacement, I will be going the EH route. Posts like these have helped me make that decision in advance, so there'll be no time wasted in choosing what to go with.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:53 pm

Have never changed my power tubes since I got the amp in 2007 , still sounds good , but maybe I should jump on the EH Valve train too ...
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

jim renolds
World Tour

Post by jim renolds » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Andy wrote:Have never changed my power tubes since I got the amp in 2007 , still sounds good , but maybe I should jump on the EH Valve train too ...
I only changed because the original set blew a tube within a few months. The replacement set of Winged Cs is going on 8 ? years, I think. Still going strong, no need to change until they have problems. But when I do, I'll go with EHs.

DH

mcuzo
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mcuzo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm

LG, Kudos. I took your evaluation of the EH EL34's to heart for my 410HJS and got a burned quartet from Tube Depot. Bias at 71mv a side and the amp sounds great! I still have a JVM 205H that I tried a set of JJ' EL34's in a couple years back, right before I got the JS and didnt care for them. I read so much about these amps only sounding good with Winged C's so I spent the extra cash to get them. The amp sounded good again but not this good. Don't recall the amp feeling quite as dynamic when it was new. I gig almost every weekend and the JS started sounding sterile so I jumped on here to see what people are using now that the C's are depleted and expensive! The burned quartet was around $75. Anyway, thanks for posting. Regards, Mike

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:20 am

amps take some time to settle, new amps do sound sterile but as time passes they loose the sterility , if the owner has stuck with it and not sold the amp ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
|----- if this forum helped you, pls donate to keep it alive -----|
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah,

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

LG
Private Parties

Post by LG » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:35 am

I certainly don't claim to be an amp wizard or even to have the best ear for tone...but I am glad I could help someone. Also tried the EH 6CA7's which I run now in my 210H. Love em. They take a bit to settle but a little more power and thump when they do. I think I have a good combo between the EH 34's in my 410H and the 6CA7's in my 210H.

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 am

Prior to posting my reply I did take notice that this is an old thread, but seeing the it's a topic that is still relevant I decided to add to it rather than start something new.

I just installed a matched quad of JJ E34L power tubes today in my stock 2007 JVM410H...so far so good. Bias went like a breeze though I do need to play through them a little more and recheck the bias before I close it up.

So far I'm liking the results. The low end is nice and tight like it was when I first got this amp in 2008 (original power tubes were SED Winged =C= EL34 relabeled by Marshall). In addition to the tight low end, the headroom is very good. Another thing I like about these E34L power tubes is that they're nice and quiet-I mean quieter than death. I'm hoping the bias stabilizes very quickly so that I can give them a really good workout and get a better idea of how the JJ E34L power tubes interacts/behaves/responds to all that my JVM410H can dish out!