Where to get tubes and frequency if change!!!

All about tube choices for the JVM series. See workbench for biasing and tube problems you may have.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

sonny13
Beginner
Beginner

Where to get tubes and frequency if change!!!

Post by sonny13 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Hate to kill a topic, Where can I get tubes for my JVM410. I changes the power tubes once fromCwinged to EHs The EHs were good but I could tell a difference. Its now time to change power tubes again. I was going to just buy Mesa s lol Any reccomendations?

Also how often do you change pre amp tubes? I never have, it is from 2008.

any advice is apprecieted!!!!

Great forum,,,, been coming here for years

MonstersOfTheMidway
Private Parties

Re: Where to get tubes and frequency if change!!!

Post by MonstersOfTheMidway » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:19 pm

sonny13 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:35 pm
Hate to kill a topic, Where can I get tubes for my JVM410. I changes the power tubes once fromCwinged to EHs The EHs were good but I could tell a difference. Its now time to change power tubes again. I was going to just buy Mesa s lol Any reccomendations?

Also how often do you change pre amp tubes? I never have, it is from 2008.

any advice is apprecieted!!!!

Great forum,,,, been coming here for years
Hello.

To answer your first question (where to get tubes for your 410H), you can purchase tubes from a variety of sellers. You can both preamp and power amp tubes from a brick and mortar music store store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash. You can also usually buy tubes from smaller "mom and pop" music stores as well. Other options you use are big online dealers like MusiciansFriend and Sweetwater though there are smaller dealers who offer good deals, good selection, good prices and good return/exchange policy. You can also look at sellers on Ebay for a deal on tubes.

I've used online dealers for all of my 410H tubes. The first online dealer i used was https://www.thetubestore.com/; they offered a good selection, resonable/competitive prices, good return/exchange policy, good shipping experience, and sometimes they even offer sales/discounts/coupons. Additionally, thetubestore.com also sells individual components like tube sockets and tube retainers.

I also have experience using https://www.tubedepot.com/; they offer great selection, reasonable/competitive pricing, good return/exchange policy, good shipping experience, and sale/discounts. I recently purchased a quad of JJ E34L for my 410H; the power tubes arrived a day earlier than expected in a well-packaged box with no damage. These tubes biased easily and had very little drift afterwards.

Either thetubestore.com or thetubdedepot.com come very highly regarded based on my personal experience.

Recommendations on preamp tubes (current production) are:
*Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 (regular version and not the gold plated whatever version)
*Tung-Sol 12AX7
*JJ ECC83-S
*Shuguang 12AX7-B
*Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) 7025-S

Recommendations for power amp tubes are:
*Electro-Harmonix EL34
*JJ E34L
*SED Winged =C= EL34
*Tung-Sol EL34-B

If you amp is from 2008 and you have never changed your preamp tubes, that may or may not be a "bad thing." You might have some excellent, high quality preamp tubes in there, which are always good thing to have. Perhaps it's worth noting what preamp brand and type is currently in your 410H and then try to get the same thing later as back up/replacements.

As for often do I change preamp tubes in my stock standard 410H, the answer depends on quality of the tube and the sound I'm after. First (and most importantly), if the sound quality starts to deteriorate, then an immediate change is in order. My stock preamp tubes went microphonic on my after about six months. When I replaced them, I've never had one go microphonic or malfunction in any way, but the wear and tear is kinda distributed among a large collection of preamp tubes, which brings me to point number two. Second, I will often change out preamp tubes if I'm looking for a certain sound. I've found that certain preamp tubes affect the tone of the preamp stage greatly, so I will change out a preamp tube to give me a different quality tone, and that switching out saves on some wear and tear. So, how often am I changing out for the sake of tone? Answer is not very often anymore. I used to switch out often, but now that i found the combination I like, I don't change out anymore. I've been using the same preamp tubes in the same position for about a year now-no problems with preamp tube malfunction, but I'm ready with backup spares!

For power amp tubes, the original quad lasted about 10 years. The original quad were SED Winged =C= EL34 relabeled as "Marshall" brand. These were a great set that inclined me to purchase another quad SED Winged =C= EL34. But, I also tried JJ E34L after hearing them in another JVM, which sound just as good as my SED Winged =C= EL34. The I used both for about a year and both still produce great sound quality. Having a couple quad of power tubes lets me distribute wear and tear a little more evenly over time.

That's about it. Let me/us know if you have any more questions, comments, concerns. Good luck with your decision.