Looking recording software that's easier than Pro Tools First, Reaper and Cakewalk to use with Two Notes Wall of Sound.

Anything to do with Recording (the JVM in particular) - using line out, which mics , techniques etc.

Moderators: jim renolds, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

The Incredible Hult
Beginner
Beginner

Looking recording software that's easier than Pro Tools First, Reaper and Cakewalk to use with Two Notes Wall of Sound.

Post by The Incredible Hult » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:48 am

Hello lads,

Recording has never been my forte. The other members of the band would send a couple tracks or perhaps even a rough mix of an idea and then we all could record and mix in our own parts. Whenever I had an idea myself that I wanted to share, I would just record my parts and let the others run wild with it. I could do all of this with Cool Edit Pro and later on, Adobe Audition, up until version 3.0.

It feels like it's been a lifetime since I last laid down a track, but perhaps it would be nice if I could do something like that again. Especially now that Two Notes is giving away free licences for Wall of Sound. That would allow me to take an attenuated signal of an amp straight to the computer and then add the sound of a mic and cab there.

After attempting to get anywhere in Pro Tools First, Reaper and Cakewalk, I had to give up. Would any of you happen to know if there's perhaps an even simpler program than those three out there for this old digilliterate?
I would rather try something else before spending another half a day getting frustrated with any of those three programs again and making backup of the entire laptop before installing everything and putting everything back to the way it was afterwards.

thank you for your time and help,

Hult
Last edited by The Incredible Hult on Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Re: Looking for simple recording software.

Post by RockmanCentral » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm

I've been using Cakewalk for 20 years, though I'm not a "power user". I have some sequenced tracks in MIDI that I ran through some really old tone generators and recorded as audio tracks. Many people say they sound like crap, but, whatever, they work for me.

For what you are trying to do, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out.... just keep it simple and forget about all the bells and whistles these programs offer for now. Install it, make sure you have your audio drivers set up, and then assign your inputs and outputs. From there, just treat it like a tape recorder. Arm a track and hit record. Un-arm that track, move to another track, arm it and record. Set your panning and your track levels of what you've recorded and don't worry about the rest.
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

Greg_L
Club Circuit

Post by Greg_L » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:28 pm

Reaper.

Done.
My gear list? Do a search.

The Incredible Hult
Beginner
Beginner

Post by The Incredible Hult » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:23 pm

RockmanCentral wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:25 pm
I've been using Cakewalk for 20 years, though I'm not a "power user".
For what you are trying to do, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out....
Thank you, Rockman, but I'm afraid you're overestimating my skills with the computer. I have tried, I really have, with all three three programs mentioned. Before I give any of those a second chance, I would like to know if there are any other options left to explore.

thanks again,

Hult

RockmanCentral
Private Parties

Re: Looking recording software that's easier than Pro Tools First, Reaper and Cakewalk to use with Two Notes Wall of Sou

Post by RockmanCentral » Mon May 25, 2020 2:25 pm

For whatever program you are trying to use, look on Youtube for some tutorials.... I'm sure you're find something.
Gibson is giving Cakewalk away for free now as long as you create an account for BandLab.
See if these help....

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PVxIqeDZ7U
Gear:
Marshall JVM 410HJS - -ve Feedback
Kemper Profiling Rack
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Marshall 1960 HW Stack - G12H-30's
Marshall 1960 Lead Stack - G12T-75's
Rockman Stack with Rev 20 Sustainor
Rockman XP212, XP100a
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Gibson Collectors Choice #10 Tom Scholz 68 Les Paul Goldtop
PRS SE 24 Custom Floyd - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, DiMarzio Super Distortion
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop

Boston Covers:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

okgb
Club Circuit

Re: Looking recording software that's easier than Pro Tools First, Reaper and Cakewalk to use with Two Notes Wall of Sou

Post by okgb » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:15 pm

Garage band seems geared towards more basic users you have to start somewhere , with some patience
just like practicing gtr, I'll say though My recording life got allot easier when I switched from pc to mac

Although it's more complex , I've never heard anyone say anything bad about Logic.
Amps JVM 410H [too many mods to mention ] '73 50w lead, 70's vibrochamp , mesa mkIII U.S. Vox pacemaker
Rock , pop rock & Blues style's mainly played
Gtr's Musicanman " Luke " wolfgang [ carved top w pearly gates ] Hondo lazer , Warmoth strat
Fx t.c. 2290 , Lexicon tc verb
Pedals tbone plexi , t.c. chorus , various handmade & usual suspects t.s. , zen , CB wah ..........

Casey_Butt
World Tour

Post by Casey_Butt » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 am

Tascam Porta 07, can't beat it. ;)

y5wavktvem97vmvjfijj.jpg
_ JVM410H: "Blackface" Clean channel, "Plexi" Crunch channel, "Dual Rec" OD2 channel, 3rd stage bias pot with switchable 100nF bypass cap, switchable 470k/470pF "treble peaker", OD1/2 Orange and Red extra gain pot, signal boost into power amp, PI voltage set to 2203 levels, 5H choke w/ 50uF on screens, -ve feedback pot.
_ Marshall 2203/1959 clone - switchable (with FX loop, resonance control and -ve fb pot) built from a Peavey Windsor 'donor' head
_ Fender Deluxe Reverb clone head
_ ADA MP-1, ART Power Plant, Tech 21 PSA-1
_ 1960A cab w/ Celestion G12-65s and G12-75Ts in X-pattern, Peavey JSX cab with Celestion G12M's (UK 6402 cones)
_ Fender Pro 185 (rebuilt) - open back 2x12" with Jensen C12Ks