Picking up my first Marshall amp this week

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

OrangePeeled
Beginner
Beginner

Picking up my first Marshall amp this week

Post by OrangePeeled » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:35 am

Hi all,

By pure happenstance, sold my Mesa Roadster for a JVM410H. I had originally posted on Craigslist looking to trade a Roadster combo for a Roadster head when I guy emailed me and asked me about trading for the JVM410H. I knew nothing of the amps, so I told him I'd do some research and get back with him. Over the weekend I became unhappy with the fizziness in all of the distortion in the Roadster and found my local Guitar Center had a used JVM410 on the floor. Went on my lunch break and played it and HOLY CRAP! The sounds I heard in that amp were the sounds I've had in my head for years!!!! Instantly fell in love. I actually put down a $300 deposit on that one to make sure I could get one and then as I'm leaving Guitar Center, the guy emails me again and says he'd like to trade. Perfect!!!! And then he backed out of the trade because his wife had bought his 410 for him and she was upset he was trading it. Fully understood. Haha! So I ended up selling my Roadster to GC for the same price I paid for it and put it toward their JVM. I've built my own amp (P1X... GREAT little amps) and so I'm very comfortable under the hood of an amp... planning on doing several mods to my 410. Also may pickup a 1960 cab. Right now I have a Bogner oversized 2x12 that I love, but I feel like the JVM needs a 1960a. Haha!

I was having a hard time with the decision, mainly because I had wanted a Mesa for so many years, I was having a hard time accepting it actually wasn't what I wanted like I thought. I had some musician/producer friends over and tried the Mesa and the JVM head to head... the JVM won, hands down. I think the best way to describe it was that it was more musical sounding. Love the way this amp sounds.

Anyway, that's how I ended up here. Now to start getting a parts list together for the mods and figuring out which tubes I want to try.

Brandon

Dark Horse
World Tour

Re: Picking up my first Marshall amp this week

Post by Dark Horse » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 pm

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

Forgive us for the late response!

Regarding the mods, it's great that you have the skills and experience to do them, but since you're new to the JVM I highly recommend you play the amp extensively for several weeks, in all venues and applications that you are likely to experience, in order to tightly focus your attention on specific things about the amp you want to change. Only then, once you know exactly what you have to change, should you plug in the iron.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

OrangePeeled
Beginner
Beginner

Post by OrangePeeled » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Thanks, DH! If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll reveal that I'll probably only be playing this amp in my bonus room, sometimes with friends. [smilie-eyeroll] [smiley-surprised] [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Thanks for the tip! I have to say I am very surprised with how happy I am with the clean as it currently is. It sounds really good. I do tend to be more of a blackface fan than tweed, but its hard to complain about it the way it is.

My amp also still has its original tubes from 2007. [smilie=icon_eek.gif] Now I've got to try to decide if I want KT77s, 6CA7s, or EL34s. And then there's preamp tubes...

Anyway, much playing and research to be done. I do know that the channel mods mentioned (blackface, Plexi, 2203, and Mesa mod) are the original amps that I'm very much so after their sounds.

The one thing I KNOW I want to do is get some of this noise out of the orange and red OD1 and OD2 channels. That drives me bonkers. And with the wrong pickups, it'll squeal. I think I'm going to start with the choke mod for that, and may also do the gain reduction. If there are any others that help with the noise, do please tell. Also planning on doing the negative feedback at the same time.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

Brandon

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:10 pm

Hey, my power tubes are from 2008 and still going strong. No plans to change unless they show a need for it.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Welcome! The JVM is also my first Marshall, and I love it. Have fun!
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. R58 (82K) plus 68K (blue wire) power amp feedback mod. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. 220K across R20 to reduce Effects Loop Return loss. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Retired H&K GM36.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).
Band http://mybluesky.co/ Allman Brothers tribute (hence the Gibsons, because I used to be a Strat guy). Buy our CD please [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]