Hi from Stratford upon Avon

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

DavidJ
Beginner
Beginner

Hi from Stratford upon Avon

Post by DavidJ » Wed May 16, 2018 4:28 pm

I joined the forum when I got my JVM last year. Don't think I posted much before the big sleep but I read and learned. Very pleased to see everything back up and running now.

I'm in a couple of bands - both have horn sections and keyboards. I play a range of stuff in the bluesy, jazzy, soul spectrum. I usually play a Les Paul Traditional, but sometimes a Squier Tele (cheap, but well-set up by a local tech, CTS pots, bone nut, orange drops) or 1980s Japanese Strat (same set up - same tech).

I don't want a shed-load of gain and I'm no shredder but I've always liked Marshalls and I love my JVM. I need enough SPL to cut through the racket and warm fat sounds for my rhythm playing (which is mostly my role). Once a while I need that extra volume and gain for soloing.

Lugging the amp and 1936 cab to gigs is a pain and if space is tight I don't bother and use a Session Blues Baby (SS Blues Junior clone - brilliant, check 'em out of you are not familiar). However when I do set up my half stack, I'm always glad I did - that's a versatile amp and sounds sweet on most channel/gain combinations.

I normally use a simple pedal board (TC electronic tuner, Marshall Blues Breaker, Boss Tremolo, Fender Delay) with a Volto power supply. I don't like too much kit/wiring on stage - I have enough trouble keeping out of the way of the horns and the 4 BVs!

I have experimented at home with a Berhinger V-Amp in a rack and FCB1010 midi controller to switch fx patches and channels. Very pleased with how easily that all integrates. The clarity of the modulating fx through the loop is better and I really ought to spend time and set up a simple stage rig to take advantage of all that flexibility. So far though I've stuck with my simple pedal board into the front-end of the amp - and it also works a treat with my Session amp, which has no fx loop.

Happy to be here!

David

nato
Private Parties

Re: Hi from Stratford upon Avon

Post by nato » Sun May 20, 2018 1:06 am

Welcome. Make yourself at home.
JVM410H,Marshall 1960A,Marshall 1960B,American standard fender strat,Gibson SG Standard,Gibson Les Paul studio Faded 2016T, Jackson King V, Ibanez Xiphos, Boss GT-100, Boss NS-2, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby, Big Muff Pi, MXR KFK 10 Band Eq

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:56 pm

I used to work in Henley in Arden and roundabout !
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

Spacerocker
Arena

Post by Spacerocker » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Welcome to the forum! - I'm just up the road in Rugby!
Amps: Marshall JVM410: Hotter Bias, Plexi mod, 10H choke, Stiffness Mod, Neg Feedback Mod (Variable) spec, 3rd Stage Bias mod, AFD type mod (increased Crunch gain), 50W conversion, Tone stack Mods to 2203 spec, "Anti-Compression" mod, dBx 31 band graphic in loop, Marshall AVT20 Valvestate practice amp, Marshall 1980 2203, 2 x 1936 Cabs, 1968 Orignal 4 x 12 Cab with Greenbacks
Guitars: Les Paul Traditional, Fender HM Strat x 2 with Dimarzio Evolution Humbucker, Fender Standard Strat
Effects: Morley Wah/Volume Pedal. Behringer Vintage Phaser, TC G-Major, Alesis Midiverb. Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller