TN newbie here

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

3StarOtlaw
Beginner
Beginner

TN newbie here

Post by 3StarOtlaw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:02 pm

Just got a used JVM410H full stack and am loving it. It's my first real tube amp, I have an Orange micro terror.

Its a 2007, so from a bit of reading here it's a "vintage model" LOL

Looking forward to learning about this amp and what I can do to make it even better. I'm a fairly new player and only play at home for now.

I have noticed it can be a bit "hisssssssy", I guess that's normal. Previous owner told me tubes are pretty new (whatever that means), pre-amp tubes are out of a '71 superlead, power tubes are 6ca7eh big bottle. Like I said, I'm new so no idea if those are good or bad.

I like classic rock/blues and some metal. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro Apline White and recently also got a 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard in Iced Tea burst, rally loving this guitar/amp combo.

[imghttp://jvmforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=3739][/img]
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3740
download/file.php?mode=view&id=3741
Attachments
IMG_1162.JPG

DalyCro
Pub Band

Re: TN newbie here

Post by DalyCro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:39 am

Congratz on purchase and welcome to a world of awesomness (I am sure that many will disagree with me but thats their loss).
You have one of the most versatile amps in the world but you will need time to get use to it. I needed 6 or 7 months. I just want to tell you - do not use any drive/distortion pedal into it before you explore all the channels and combinations. I spent a lot of money on those type of pedals just to end up with >> JVM and a guitar almost 90% of the time <<. I do have drive pedals: TS808 (mostly as a boost), Timmy (as a boost and slightly preamp tone shape) and a new Big Muff green Russian (for some Floyd sounds and a bit of fuzz). One more thing... not every guitar (read: pickup) can sound good on every channel of JVM so do not frustrate about that. Here on forum you have a loads of opinions and thougths regarding tone shaping.

When it comes to hiss, thats normal, specially on higher gain settings. I have Boss NS2 in a loop that I turn on only when I switch to higher gain.

Have fun and rock on!
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.

3StarOtlaw
Beginner
Beginner

Post by 3StarOtlaw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for the information. I have no pedals, just straight Les Paul into the amp. I really like the simplicity of that. I may explore pedals at some point but I'm good for now.

DalyCro
Pub Band

Post by DalyCro » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:48 pm

If you go for a dirt pedals avoid Boss ones. I tried some of them but they are simply too bright for a JVM. Even BD2.
JVM 205H (OD2>OD1 mod), Marshall 4x12 Greeback 25. SG standard. LP Bonamassa sig. Strat 60's custom with BK Mother's milk and Emerson blend mode electronics.