Can't play well, but at least now I can play loud!

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Mountain Jammer
Beginner
Beginner

Can't play well, but at least now I can play loud!

Post by Mountain Jammer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi all, I'm the new guy from Vermont. I've always been more of a Fender guy when it comes to amps, but I got my hands on a really nice Les Paul so I decided I'd better get a few Marshalls to do it justice. My current weapons of choice are a JVM 205H and a little JMP-1 (the 50th anniversary one-watter). My main guitars are the aforementioned LP and a really nice partscaster Tele I recently finished.

I am not a good player by any means, but I was raised on classic rock and I love to make noise in the same vein as my musical heroes - most of all, the Skydog (hence my username, which is also a nod to where I live and the fact that I'm an avid skier). I have three young sons (three years old and 17-month-old twins), who all love to make instrumental noise like daddy does and usually join in whenever I'm playing. My oldest has his own drum kit, and dreams of being the next Ringo.

Thanks for letting me into this forum, where I hope to learn as much as I can about the JVM 205 and hopefully get the most I can out of this amp. I really love it so far!

Rock on!

Dark Horse
World Tour

Re: Can't play well, but at least now I can play loud!

Post by Dark Horse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:48 am

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

ALrock
Club Circuit

Post by ALrock » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:44 am

welcome Aboard!
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:00 am

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif] and well done on bringin the kids up right !
::: JVM410 head,modded:- Hammond 5H choke, 2 tubes pulled, 37.5mv bias :: Caseys Mods :- Plexi cap, -ve feedback, Dual Rectifier, Blackface, 1 wire Randy Rhoads, Plexi, Metaled Out ModPI Boost, OD Channel Gain Reduction Mod
::: AFD100, DSL100W head (no C83), Fender Champ 12
::: 1960AV 2xgreenbacks 2xG12H30, homemade 2x12 cab 2x Celestion Golds (100W)
::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Welcome! This forum is about the jvm, not how well you play.

Check my signature and you'll see we share a certain influence...

Speaking of which, I find a LP into the 205h clean/crunch Red (maybe with a little extra eq, or a touch of rolled-off OD) comes close to Skydog's bass plexi tone.

I'm sure you will enjoy this amp.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).