New to the forum and JVM 215c from Australia

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

silverstoiven
Beginner
Beginner

New to the forum and JVM 215c from Australia

Post by silverstoiven » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi all, I develop anti-cancer drugs to fund my real passion, guitars and music. Here is my JVM history: I picked up a JVM215c about a month ago as a more versatile and portable alternative to my '83 JCM800 4014. However, while I enjoy the versatility and the wide array of sounds the amp produces at low volumes, I find it to be quite compressed and lack of punch compared to my other amps (Rivera R55 with EVM12L and JCM800 4104 with Eminence GB128/CV75) when turned up. The JCM800 made my drummer bleed from hitting too hard......anyways, I generally use the clean yellow/red (gain at 7) and OD yellow (gain at 4) and occasionally red on the amp, playing mostly SSS/SSH style guitars with stacked singles. I'm not looking to emulate anyone's sound, just want something that's pleasing to my ears and can be heard well in a mix. During my search for a better tone I stumbled upon this forum. Such a rich source of information here! I've since done the anti-compression, gain reduction and plexi-cap mods as described here and liked the result.I may also try the OD2->OD1 mod someday but for now I look forward to be part of this community. [smilie-rock]
Amps: Marshall JVM215C (Plexi cap, gain reduction, anti-compression, OD2->OD1); Rivera R55 with EVM12L, '83 JCM800 4104; Budda SD18 112.

Guitars: '96 G&L Legacy with Wilde L280/L280/L290 pickups; Parker Nitefly Mahogany HH with Duncans; Bacchus LPC140; Bacchus ST54; '84 Ibanez AR305; Partcaster HSS with Wilde L200/L200/L600 pickups, Wilkinson trem, locking tuners and roller nut; Seagull Maritime SWS Creme Brulee.

FX: Proco Rat 2, MXR Bad Ass Modified OverDrive, Boss OD3, Dunlop 535Q wah, Korg Pitchblack, TC Flashback mini & Corona mini.

Dark Horse
World Tour

Re: New to the forum and JVM 215c from Australia

Post by Dark Horse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:07 pm

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

As I was reading your post, I was thinking OD2>OD1 mod, and Neg. Feedback mod to more match the level of your 800. Also, an 800-style choke may help a bit too. You won't get an 800 clone out of a JVM because they're different animals, but you can get it pretty close. Either amp will do things the other won't.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

namklak
Private Parties

Post by namklak » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Plenty of gain avail, try just turning your gains down and play that way for a while. Sometimes less is more. My Clean/Crunch gain is at 3 and my OD is at 1.5. I ended up with a balance of preamp and power amp saturation that I like. And I've done some mods too.

BTW, Thank You for what you do professionally. Really. Personally even. Thank You.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).

silverstoiven
Beginner
Beginner

Post by silverstoiven » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 am

Thanks for the suggestions Dark Horse and namblak, sounds like OD2->OD1 would be the first logical next step. I will try to play it with less gain before committing to any more mods. I understand it won't sound like the 800, but a bit more punch would be great.

Namklak, it's always heartwarming to see people appreciate what we do, and it's a even better feeling to see lives being saved as a result of it. Keep the hopes up and keep rocking!
Amps: Marshall JVM215C (Plexi cap, gain reduction, anti-compression, OD2->OD1); Rivera R55 with EVM12L, '83 JCM800 4104; Budda SD18 112.

Guitars: '96 G&L Legacy with Wilde L280/L280/L290 pickups; Parker Nitefly Mahogany HH with Duncans; Bacchus LPC140; Bacchus ST54; '84 Ibanez AR305; Partcaster HSS with Wilde L200/L200/L600 pickups, Wilkinson trem, locking tuners and roller nut; Seagull Maritime SWS Creme Brulee.

FX: Proco Rat 2, MXR Bad Ass Modified OverDrive, Boss OD3, Dunlop 535Q wah, Korg Pitchblack, TC Flashback mini & Corona mini.

ALrock
Club Circuit

Post by ALrock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:42 pm

At the risk of sounding like a sales rep for the MXR 10 band EQ.. LOL..

I do suggest picking one up, (or something with similar EQ ranges)..

Is it punch you want? well..............
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

ALrock wrote:At the risk of sounding like a sales rep for the MXR 10 band EQ.. LOL..

This suggestion and mine can actually be combined, and ALrock makes an excellent point. If you look in the Mod Catalog, there is an alternate method listed for the OD2>OD1 conversion, which involves simply using a graphic EQ to approximate the difference in mid-voicing between these two channels. In other words, you can use the graphic EQ to test whether or not that mod is what you want before you actually do it. It won't be "perfect", but it will get you close. If it's "close enough" and you don't mind leaving the EQ in there, you can just skip the mod altogether and roll with it. The settings to accomplish this were suggested by the JVMs designer.

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)

Surfcaster
World Tour

Post by Surfcaster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I know what you mean about punch! I think a lot of modern amps have lost that to some extent. Some of my favorite bands from the 80s have remade some of their classics, using modern high-gain amps, and while the new recordings often have more gain, they just don't have the same punch as the old ones!

I've done most of the mods that DH mentions as well as the gain reduction mod, and feel it has helped preserve some of the punch with my JVM. I've also done the OD2 ->OD1 mod...but that doesn't really affect punch. However as a JVM2 owner, it was the only way to get OD1 tones from my amp, which I generally prefer to OD2.

Anyway, welcome!
AMPS
Marshall JVM 205H w/mods - Negative Feedback knob - 3H Mojotone Choke - Mid Shift switch - R72 Compression Mod <> JCM SE head(Home brew, single-ended, EL-34 powered, with JCM800 preamp) <> Prolux 112 (Fender Princeton-based home brew 1x12 combo)
CABS
Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2015 Gibson Les Paul Less Plus <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

ALrock
Club Circuit

Post by ALrock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:37 am

Dark Horse wrote:
ALrock wrote:At the risk of sounding like a sales rep for the MXR 10 band EQ.. LOL..

This suggestion and mine can actually be combined, and ALrock makes an excellent point. If you look in the Mod Catalog, there is an alternate method listed for the OD2>OD1 conversion, which involves simply using a graphic EQ to approximate the difference in mid-voicing between these two channels. In other words, you can use the graphic EQ to test whether or not that mod is what you want before you actually do it. It won't be "perfect", but it will get you close. If it's "close enough" and you don't mind leaving the EQ in there, you can just skip the mod altogether and roll with it. The settings to accomplish this were suggested by the JVMs designer.

DH
fascinating! Never knew that! thanks for posting!
JVM 410H...No mods..none needed, perfect like it is :)
1960A LEAD CAB (Stock)
IBANEZ RG920 PREMIUM
ISP G STRING NOISE GATE
TC ELECTRONIC DELAY
MXR 10 BAND EQ
IBANEZ CF7 CHORUS - FLANGER
MORLEY STEVE VAI BAD HORSIE 2 CONTOUR WAH PEDAL