Greetings from Hong Kong

Somewhere to introduce yourself ... NOT FOR DISCUSSION OF PROBLEMS - please discuss them in the relevant section not here !!!

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

KingOfMemes
Beginner
Beginner

Greetings from Hong Kong

Post by KingOfMemes » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 am

Hi everyone, got my first Marshall amp, a JVM410C, yesterday and so far it really has been a dream.
Nothing but good things to say about it so far. In anticipation of the hissing problem that I've read about
I got 2 ISP Decimator IIs, one to put in front of the amp and the other in the effects loop, and linked
them together. The result is absolutely no noise and its fantastic!

Right now my setup is guitar-> Crybaby From Hell Wah -> TS9 Tubescreamer ->Decimator -> JVM410C.
Effects loop is JVM410C ->Decimator -> MXR Analogue Chorus -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> TC Electronic Ditto Looper -> JVM410C
Using a cheap Ibanez guitar at the moment (really good low end guitar).

Looking forward to getting some nice tips here!

[smilie-rock]
Amps: Marshall JVM410C

Guitars: ESP Custom Shop Alexi Katakana, Edwards Sawtooth, Edwards Pink Sawtooth, Jackson RR24(2008), Ibanez

GRG120BDX, Jackson JS30 Kelly, J&D Stratocaster copy, Suzuki Classical

Effects: Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah -> Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer -> ISP Decimator II -> JVM410C ->ISP Decimator II -> MXR Analogue Chorus -> BOSS DD3 Digital Delay -> TC Electronic Ditto Looper

namklak
Private Parties

Re: Greetings from Hong Kong

Post by namklak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:56 am

Welcome to the world of Marshall goodness! The JVM was also my first Marshall - what was I waiting for?

Your effects chain order looks correct.

I've seen some very good guitarists using cheap guitars (Regi Wooten, Jack Pearson, ...) - a good guitar is a good guitar. I did 2-3 months of gigs in my band with a Daisy Rock set neck sort of SG knock off. The head stock had "DRG" on it, so people thought it was a PRS.
JVM205h. Added 100K from R94/C43 to ground for V1b (OD Channel) gain reduction. Installed 1000pF in series with 47K, in parallel with R58 (82K), to reduce power amp squeal. V3 Valve Wizard diode protection mod. Active power soak for more EL34 goodness.
Guitars: Angus Young Sig SG w/ Pearly Gates Neck and Custom Custom Bridge, Les Paul Special (2 pups) w/ SD Stacked P90s. And occasionally a Warmoth Strat w/ Dimarzio True Velvet in N, M, SD P-Rails in B.
HD500x in 4CM for all pedals and Midi control of 205h (grounds lifted on two of the signal cables).

KingOfMemes
Beginner
Beginner

Post by KingOfMemes » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for your warm welcome! It's great to be surrounded by people who share my love of the famous Marshall crunch.

The cheap Ibanez is the guitar I wish I bought when I first started learning guitar. I got it as a beat around guitar thinking I would sell it eventually, turns out it was so good I ended up keeping it and playing it for 3 years now. IMHO Ibanez really makes the best quality low end guitars, truly amazing.

I've had a couple of days to tweak around with the amp and boy does it really deliver. All the channels are really so usable. I find myself constantly switching between OD1 and OD2's orange and red modes as I really cannot decide which I like the most, so I end up switching based on what I'm playing.
Seriously this amp has some of the best tones I've ever heard. It's really "the sound in my head".
Amps: Marshall JVM410C

Guitars: ESP Custom Shop Alexi Katakana, Edwards Sawtooth, Edwards Pink Sawtooth, Jackson RR24(2008), Ibanez

GRG120BDX, Jackson JS30 Kelly, J&D Stratocaster copy, Suzuki Classical

Effects: Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah -> Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer -> ISP Decimator II -> JVM410C ->ISP Decimator II -> MXR Analogue Chorus -> BOSS DD3 Digital Delay -> TC Electronic Ditto Looper

Dark Horse
World Tour

Post by Dark Horse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:29 pm

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

DH
JVM 410H w/Mods: 1µF Plexi Cap, 3H Mojotone Choke, Neg. Feedback Adj. Pot.(500K)