JVM Forum

All about Marshall's JVM Series

Please help us with the forum running costs
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:19 am
Google Search the forum ... note that google has to index stuff before it shows up in the search, so it will not instantly show results for new posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Private Parties

Hello Everyone!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of the information, particularly dealing with Mods for the JVM!
I don't have any formal electronics training, but I've been modding gear for a LONG time!!
In other words, I can follow a schematic, make minor changes and even build circuits, but I can't do all the math!

My favorite band by far is Boston, but I love all that old 70's and 80's classic rock.
I fully admit that I totally suck on the guitar, despite playing for 20+ years.
But I do love to record, and am not above comping parts together to get a good take.
I figure whatever it takes to get it down.
Here's some Boston covers I recorded as an example of the results I go for.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RockmanCentralBob

I used to have a website called RockmanCentral.com dedicated to Rockman gear, but I closed it down.
I got tired of paying web hosting fees and honestly, though I do still love Rockman gear, I'm getting back to the "early" Boston sound which was based on Marshalls.

As for gear, naturally I've got TONS of Rockman gear, my favorite and best sounding being my HEAVILY modified Rockman XP212.
But ever since I got a Ceriatone 50W Plexi clone last year, and modded it to the late Mark Abrahamian's Rockstah Mod 5 with Lar/Mar PPIMV, I've really fallen in love with the old Marshalls.
I preamp it with an MXR Distortion +, MXR 6 band EQ, and an old Echoplex EP3 modified into a Hyperspace Pedal and it pretty much nails the original Boston tone, spaceships and all!!!
My main guitar is an early 90's Jackson Dinky Reverse with a Sustainiac in the rhythm, an EMG-81 in the lead and a Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose tremelo with Acoustiphonic preamp.
I got a deal on an Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop that I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the lead PU, and swapped out the tuners with Planet Waves and the nut with a Graph Tech Tusk.
It sounds good, but the Jackson is just so much nicer to play with that super thin neck!

I just got a good deal on a used 2011 JVM-205H at Guitar Center for $800, which I get to pick up on Saturday.
What little I did play it in the store, I was very happy with the sound (though, it's a bit on the metal side, which I plan on correcting soon with all of your help! ;-)
Looking at the schematic, I can definitely see that the overall design is faithful to the Plexi/800 series, which convinced me it had to be a solid amp design.

Thanks in advance and I hope I can contribute!

Marshall JVM 410H - Modified with Plexi/C83/Bass Boost Switches, Blackface Clean, 1959 Crunch, High Mids Crunch, Compression, OD1/OD2 Gain Reduction, ‘One Wire’ 3rd Stage Bias, PI Boost, -ve Feedback, Stiffness/Choke, Switchable Line out
Marshall 1960A Lead 4x12 with G12T-75's
Full Rockman Stack and Rockman XP212
Echoplex EP3 - Hyperspace Pedal
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, EMG-81, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop - DiMarzio Super Distortion, Planet Waves tuners, Graph Tech Tusk nut

Boston Covers:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm 
World Tour

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif] from Canada...

let the modding begin smilie=icon_lol.gif

- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75, Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- Dean DIME FBD, Dean DIME Stealth Special Edition #29 of 50, ESP LTD MH-250HT
- TC Electronic PolyTune, BOSS NS-2, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Electronic Flashback X4

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:24 pm 
Private Parties

Tonemeister wrote:
[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif] from Canada...

let the modding begin smilie=icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the welcome, Tonemeister!

And oh yes, the modding WILL begin VERY soon!!! banana_rasta

Marshall JVM 410H - Modified with Plexi/C83/Bass Boost Switches, Blackface Clean, 1959 Crunch, High Mids Crunch, Compression, OD1/OD2 Gain Reduction, ‘One Wire’ 3rd Stage Bias, PI Boost, -ve Feedback, Stiffness/Choke, Switchable Line out
Jackson Dinky Reverse - Sustainiac, EMG-81, Graph Tech LB63 Floyd Rose, Acoustiphonic preamp
Epiphone 68 Reissue Les Paul Goldtop - DiMarzio Super Distortion, Planet Waves tuners, Graph Tech Tusk nut

Boston Covers:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
World Tour

Seriously though. I would wait a few weeks before you get started on modding and really figure out what this amp has hidden in it already. I was surprised by the multitude of tones that I could get out of it in its stock version. I didn't start modding until three months after I bought it and I am sure glad I waited because I would have performed all the wrong mods for what I was really trying to get out of the JVM.

Just a thought

- Marshall JVM410H: Negative Feedback Mod (33k-500k, linear), Compression Mod, One-Wire Cascade Mod, OD2-to-OD1 Mod, P.I. Boost Mod (with 33k in R52), Plexi Cap Mod (1uF), Modified C83 Mod (1- OFF, 2- 0.68uF, 3- 1.0uF, 4- 1.5uF, 5- 2.2uF, 6- 3.2uF), Gain Reduction Mod, Blackface Mod, Mesa Rectifier Mod, 50W (two tubes: 37.5mV), LED Footswitch Mod
- Laney AOR ProTube 3012 Combo: stock
- Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75, Marshall 1960B 4xG12T-75
- Dean DIME FBD, Dean DIME Stealth Special Edition #29 of 50, ESP LTD MH-250HT
- TC Electronic PolyTune, BOSS NS-2, Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah, MXR EVH Phase 90, TC Electronic Flashback X4

link to my old band "Systatic" (Line6 Vetta II days) http://www.systatic.ca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 pm 
Private Parties

Tonemeister wrote:
Seriously though. I would wait a few weeks before you get started on modding and really figure out what this amp has hidden in it already. I was surprised by the multitude of tones that I could get out of it in its stock version. I didn't start modding until three months after I bought it and I am sure glad I waited because I would have performed all the wrong mods for what I was really trying to get out of the JVM.

Just a thought

Point taken!

I'll have to wait at least a couple of weeks for sure while I figure out if it's already been modded by the previous owner, planning out the mods I'd like to do and then ordering parts.
I'm fairly certain on some of the mods I want to do, such as some of the tone related mods (Plexi and OD2 -> OD1), and probably the neg feedback and choke mods.
I have a Digitech MEQ Dual 14 MIDI programmable EQ that I've modded like a Rockman PGE2, which makes the mid bands set at 1/3 octave for tighter control.
I'll be putting that pre and post for tone shaping though, so we'll see how things shake out.

Boston Covers:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:09 am 
Administrator

[smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

I hear you about paying hosting fees [smilie=icon_confused.gif]

Anyway looking forward to your posts[smilie-rock] [smilie=headbang.gif] [smiley-shreds]

::: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Dimarzio SD bridge Pup,Standard neck Pup.
::: Tokai Strat with Dimarzio SD, Epi SG-400 Iommi, Hondo Les Paul, Alhambra Acoustic fishman Pup
::: PodXTLive fully loaded, Vox V848 Clyde McCoy Wah Wah, Korg Pitchblack and Snark Tuners

It's better to fail in Originality than to succeed in Imitation ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:35 am 
World Tour

[smilie-rock] [smilie=welcome_smiley.gif]

-------------------------------------------
Amps:
Guitars:
    70s hard-tail Strat with EMG 89/SA actives. Gibson "The Paul" with bridge P-Rails, Triple-shot, Roland GK-3 and Torres Tone Mods. Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose. PRS SE Semi-Hollow w/Bigsby, Squier Affinity Tele, Falk "Splitter"
    Taylor DN3 Acoustic w/Rare Earth Blend, Ovation Celebrity 6/12 Acoustic, Sigma Acoustic, Gibson LG-0, Martin 000X1AE, Rally Resonator, Stretton Payne 12-string.
FX:
    Line 6 HD500 - 4CM & MIDI switching, Joyos galore! T-Rex Moller, TC Flashback X4, MXR '78 Distortion, modded 90's Crybaby, Boss GT8 (retired)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:46 am 
World Tour

Welcome, Rockman! Sorry for not responding sooner...I have limited time to post here and was all excited about the Satriani schematics for the past couple of days!

It's always great to meet another Boston fan, they are certainly one of my favorites...probably been a fan since around '83, when I was in the 9th grade. More than a Feeling was the first song I tried learning on the guitar, and Peace of Mind wasn't far behind...it's still one of my favorites and I play it frequently (though truth be told, 30 years later I still haven't mastered it! [smilie=icon_redface.gif] ).

I've got a friend who I used to be in band with who is now doing the solo acoustic gig thing, and we are currently working on an acoustic version of Peace of Mind, along with a few other non-Boston tunes. The idea is so I can sit in with him on a few songs on occasion. At first I wasn't sure how Peace of Mind would work acoustically, but I think it's coming together nicely.

Most recently, I taught myself Feelin' Satisfied, a favorite since I was kid. I don't know why I waited so long to learn it. I can play a few other Boston tunes in their entirety, but mostly I just know some of my favorite riffs from their songs. I should knock out a few more in their entirety.

Personally, I never owned any Rockman gear, but a friend in college had one of the first Rockman headphone amps...the one with all the bells and whistles. After he'd owned it for a couple years, he let me take it home over the summer along with one of his guitars (I didn't have my own electric until I was 29!) Of course, I figured out a way to hook it into my dad's stereo so I could rock out in the livingroom when no one else was home! Anyway, it was a great unit...I think he's still got it and I have to admit, I wish I had one!

But with my 205H, and the few mods I've done to it(which you can see in my signature info below), I'm perfectly happy with the tones I get when I play Boston tunes!

Speaking of mods, waiting a bit to get the know the amp is a good idea. However, I wholeheartedly endorse the OD2 -> OD1 mod...especially if you're a Boston fan, you need to get those mids up! And I can't imagine you not liking the negative feedback (especially if you use Charlotte's method...SO easy!) The choke is a little more subtle--since I did not put it on a switch, I can't honestly say I know exactly what it did--but it certainly didn't hurt anything! I am also planning on lowering the value of the plate resistor R72 by piggybacking another resistor on it...might do that this weekend.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to your contributions!

Home-built 2x12 w/ G12M Greenbacks <> Home-built 1x12 w/WGS Green Beret
GUITARS
2010 G&L USA Legacy HB <> 2003 Gibson Les Paul Studio with DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge and Virtual PAF Neck <> 1998 G&L USA Legacy with DiMarzio Area '58 and Area '61 pickups <> 2001 Taylor 414CE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 pm 
World Tour

Ah, that smell of solder in the morning [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

GUITARS:
Explorer w/Nailbombs; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Ibanez RG370DX w/DiMarzios; Squier Classic Vibe Tele;
Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH in V1, V5/Chinese 12AX7 V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi mod)
MESA 2:90+TriAxis (TungSol V1, EH V2, JJ V4); Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Marshall MC212 cab w/G12T-75; Yamaha THR10
FX:
BOSS GT-6; Dunlop crybaby w/tb
OTHER STUFF:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:07 pm 
Private Parties

Surfcaster wrote:
Welcome, Rockman! Sorry for not responding sooner...I have limited time to post here and was all excited about the Satriani schematics for the past couple of days!

It's always great to meet another Boston fan, they are certainly one of my favorites...probably been a fan since around '83, when I was in the 9th grade....

Thanks Surfcaster!

When I was in 3rd grade, me and a buddy used to sit in the front row of the bus behind the driver because he always played the radio....typical 70's top 40 stuff.
One day, my buddy said, "You want to hear some REAL music, come on over after school."
He put on Boston's "Don't Look Back" album, and I was FLOORED!!!
I had never heard a guitar sound like THAT before!
Especially the thundering pick slides.
I've been hooked ever since!!

The Rockman can sound VERY good...take one of those X100 headphone amps and plug it straight into the mixing board and out through the PA full range.
A little tweaking of the EQ and you have a great sound that is consistent and easy to record.

BUT, it's NOT what Tom Scholz used on those 1st 2 albums.
That was all Marshall (with a LOT of processing...because that's how he does things)!
In reality, that sound is pretty easy to get, though it took me 25 years to figure it out!!!!

Currently, I use an MXR Distortion + to simulate the HiFi Preamp he used to boost his guitar level.
I then run it into an MXR 6 Band EQ with his settings:
Attachment:
File comment: Boston MXR 6 Band EQ
Mxr_Closeup.jpg
Mxr_Closeup.jpg [ 44.23 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Same MXR settings
Mxr_Settings.jpg
Mxr_Settings.jpg [ 32.89 KiB | Viewed 371 times ]

Finally it goes through an Echoplex EP3 that, though it's not required, does "something" to the sound, and then to the amp (currently a Plexi modded into a JCM800).
To me, it absolutely captures his sound.

The final piece of the Boston puzzle it all about recording technique.
Every rhythm track is doubled at minimum, but typically quadruple tracked!
There's one track on each side EQ'd dark, and another pair EQ'd bright.
All the leads are also double tracked and panned hard R/L, with a harmony track usually panned center.
Everything is panned hard L/R, with natural timing fluctuations giving it that wide stereo and natural chorusing effect.
And since the rhythms are so layered, they are actually pretty low gain, but in cumulative they sound pretty high gain.

So when recording, you'd want to go back to more of a Plexi based gain as opposed to the JCM800 levels, which are great for playing live since you probably won't have 7 guitarists up there on stage with you!!

Boston Covers:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:08 pm 
Private Parties

Jackie wrote:

Ah, that smell of solder in the morning [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Yes, and burnt flesh when a hot solder blob lands on your bare leg because you were still wearing your pajama shorts!!! :yikes:

Boston Covers: