Behemoth

Moderators: Dark Horse, jimsreynolds, Jackie, Andy

Jackie
World Tour

Behemoth

Post by Jackie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm

My girlfriend's (second) favorite band is quickly becoming one of those rare black/death metal bands I like.

At first these guys seemed to me like your average black metal that evolved to blackened death metal, you know, growling, blast beats etc.
Then I copied three songs to my iPod - Blackest ov the Black, Horns ov Baphomet, and Ov Fire and The Void... I gave them a "Jackie thorough listen", and I found that I really dig Nergal's vocals and phrase delivery. He has this special tone of growl that makes it not only sound powerful and beastly as the genre "demands", but it seems so natural, especially on Apostasy and Zos Kia Cvltvs, I kinda have mixed feelings about the Demigod vocals though, they are brutal but the constant double-layer is just too much and diction suffers a little. I was able to figure out his technique though and I FINALLY found a growl I can throw into our songs just as spice that sounds and feels right to me. It's a very energy-demanding vocal style though so I have to work on it, trouble is it's loud and I don't really feel like shouting in my house while mom sleeps and dad's recording xD

The tone is cool too, though I don't like the new one's tones on some songs. As far as tone is concerned, I found best results with either my MESA Recto preset or slaving the JVM OD2 Red into the 2:90. Nergal uses a Laboga Mr. Hector, a Polish amp maker's boutique-ish metal beast. Nice stuff.

The drumming surprised me too, despite the blasting, Inferno knows how to use his raw speed and slow bombing in a nice atmospheric way and to build/maintain tension and aggression and not just mindlessly blast away.

Last thing I want to mention, the lyrics... these took the most time to grow on me. They are mostly written in an old-English kind of "medieval" style and tone, so I had to get used to the "HARK!"s and "thou art" and stuff, but I think it adds to their "sounds like Nebuchadnezzar II wrote it" kind of sound. I like that despite the fact that he likes to shout "Satan, brothers" and other nonsense live, the lyrics paint a nice mysterious image of the occult and magick (Thelema, Zos Kia Cultus, Egyptians etc., early stuff was paganism too) and forgotten rather than just gore (stereotypical death metal) or cheesy satanistic wannabe epic and sometimes "lets burn churches" shit (stereotypical black metal). They're pretty majestic, some songs.

I really let the keyboard rip on this one... I just felt like sharing, that's what this place is for right? [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Anyway... Oh, Serpent and Lion! [smilie=headbang.gif]
My favorite song right now is Horns ov Baphomet, don't ask me why it's not anything special, but I just love the way the vocals burst over the droning drop B riff, and that little harmonic melody at the end, that's my kinda scale.
Tonemeister wrote:there is sooo much that the JVM can be...
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
VHT Sig:X; Marshall 1960A cab w/V30; Yamaha THR10v2
FX:
BOSS GT-6, Keeley-modded Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MISC:
Proel Esoteric cables, Ernie Ball strings; Dunlop Ultex Sharp picks, craft beer

Jackie
World Tour

Re: Behemoth

Post by Jackie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:57 pm

Not a lot of love for blackened death I guess. Oh well, I'm still blasting this shit through my head and I love it [smiley_twisted] [smilie=headbang.gif]
GUITARS:
Modded Epiphone Goth Explorer w/BKP Nailbombs; Jackson KVMG Pro; Yamaha SG2000; Gibson SG '61 Reissue; Squier Classic Vibe Tele; Yamaha LLX6A
AMPS&CABS:
Marshall JVM410H (EH V1/V5; Chinese 12AX7B V2-V4; -ve fdbk mod, choke mod, plexi cap mod)
FX:
MISC:

Todd Zila
World Tour

Post by Todd Zila » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 am

Thats cool Jackie. Im actualy glad you posted this (and comentary [smilie=gt-happyup.gif] ) I dont hear the term "black metal" here in the states (usa) as much. But I have a few friends from your side of the water that are way into it (the ones I am refering to are from sweden, altho far from you). It seems like that type thing is huge over there with young people. Japan has some really crazy stuff too.

... death metal is big here, but it is slightly different. It seems as though adding electronic type sounds is a big thing now too. (digital samples etc) then you have the "dubstep" that is total electronic mayhem (not really my thing)

anyway cool post [smilie-rock]
I mainly use LP custom's w 10-52 strings, emg 81/85 pick up's & electroinics,
Wylde Wah, MXR ZW44 overdrive, TC nova delay, (in that order in front of the amp)
jvm410h stock, korg dtr1 (hz mode) in the loop (no return for silent tuning), with 1960v30's 4x12 cabs,
and eta power distrobution. no gates...Kick it out!~~~~~~~~S.D.M.F.

Bam Bam
World Tour

Post by Bam Bam » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:18 pm

I like to listen to Behemoth and some other bands of the same ilk sometimes when I'm in the mood for some monstrous metal guitar mayhem. It's not my "go to" style of music, but it's cool nonetheless. I have trouble wrapping my head around the myriad of supposed subgenres of metal these days. I don't give a rat's ass if they're calling it death metal or grindcore or black metal or whatever the "genre du jour" might be at the moment. I listen. If it's well-written, well-played and well-recorded, I'll like it. Simple as that. [smilie=icon_cool.gif]

Bam
Guitars: 2012 Ibanez 25th Anniversary RG3 w/Dimarzio D-Activator/Air Norton S, 2005 Charvel USA Custom Shop Pointy Head Reissue w/80's Jackson J-95/Duncan '59, 2010 Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas Style 1-2H w/Custom Custom/Jazz (was JB/'59 stock), 1987 Kramer Aerostar ZX30 w/Dimarzio Super Distortion/EMG Selects (passive single-coils)
Amps: JVM 410H (2007), EVH 5150III 50w head (2011), Peavey Series 2600 Mark III
Cabs: Avatar Contemporary 4x12 loaded with Hellatone 60s (Vintage 30s), Early 80's Peavey 2x12 loaded with Eminence Governors
Pedals: ISP Decimator, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah, Fulltone OCD (4th gen), Digitech Whammy (5th gen), MXR 10-Band EQ, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss BF-3 Flanger, Korg Pitch Black Tuner, others

Jackie
World Tour

Post by Jackie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:16 pm

GUITARS:
AMPS&CABS:
FX:
MISC:

Evilriffz
Private Parties

Post by Evilriffz » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 am

I was actually just going to ask if you had listened to "The Satanist". XM has been blasting a few songs from it and it has A LOT of dynamics for the style of music. Awesome stuff. [smilie=headbang.gif]
AMPS: JVM 410H (MODS:MM MAR100c 3H CHOKE, MM JVM410 OT, PLEXI MOD W/1uF cap, -ve feed back mod (charlotte method) Recto Mod) W/MARSHALL 1960A and 1960B (X)
GUITARS: GIBSON LP VOODOO,GIBSON EXPLORER (EMG81,60), LTD ECLIPSE EC 2005 (EMG81,60)LTD EX 400(EMG 81,60) Epiphone explorer '84 reissue (emg 81,85) Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom (EMG 81,85)
STUFF: MXR 10 BAND, MAXON OD 808, ISP DECIMATOR, BOSS TU3 tuner, TC G Major, Line 6 relay G30 wireless, Dimebag Wah, moog expression pedal, RJM Mastermind midi controller.

Vomitile
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vomitile » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm

great band!!!!!!!!!!! saw them two times live , the first was hellfest 2012 right after nergal's health issue was gone, then again hellfest 2014 . Both times were amazing!!!!!! great musician and showmen as well!! if you like behemoth listen to HATE they are very similar!! both polish btw [smilie=headbang.gif]